Bay Village Apartment Tower | 212 Stuart St. | Bay Village

Does anyone have an idea of what the height of each residential floor would be when trying to stuff 19 occupied floors in Bay Village?

i figure this is going to be about 230'.

This is going to look absolutely hideous if they VE the cladding. As far as the height goes, I think what ever the number is, this does very well to fit in push the envelope a little.

Also, as perhaps has been said before, this offset window thing has run its course. Is there some some sort of panel that convenes and decides whether they want 2 over here and 3 over there and 1 here and 4 there? Is there some software that you can use with CAD to just click a button that says "randomize windows"? Why not randomize them horizontally instead, just for giggles?

The 199' doesn't include the mech top. That diagram also has a few bizarre ones in there, like AVA at 360'. I wouldn't trust it at all. All I can tell you is this is over 200'.

AVA might make it up to 360 ft. The mechanical top is supersized (several stories) -- pushed up by the BRA to break the buzz cut effect in the area. They did it that way to avoid having to declare a higher official height to the top occupied floor.

But it is disingenuous if the developers are mixing top occupied floor heights and mechanical top heights in their diagram.

According to the FAA the highest point on 45 Stuart Street is 338 feet. If you want to check the heights of the other points on the building search the year 2013 in the archives.

Thanks. I sort of remembered 340 ft. from discussions with the BRA, but could not find any documentation.
(Height to highest occupied floor per the BRA is 289 ft., so you can see the game they played with the mechanical topper.)

FYI, I think the 360 number was the developer quoting Emporius.
https://www.emporis.com/buildings/337280/ava-theater-district-boston-ma-usa

Just having trouble getting past how this site got raped.

The massing is super good. The cladding/concept blows.

It's Bay Village. So wouldn't the 1 Greenway or Lovejoy treatment be appropriate?

^ you would think. Boston is obsessed with trying to make buildings look even shorter than they are by grouping floors together like this-not sure the architectural term. 500 Boylston is the king of this that thing looks like its like 8 floors but its 25.

Yes, there are horizontal breaks but overall the tall, narrow lengths of windows give it more of a vertical emphasis. And significantly this doesn't look to be precast but rather some kind of stone. I think this is beautiful.

^They milled limestone while researching the different facades they could apply. I believe that is what they are going with.

I really like the facade. They did a lot of research into different textures and patterns. Up close renderings:
kF6OgQy.jpg

cEeDTae.jpg

Facade Massing Texture:
F2D4OKv.png

I'm quite into the facade here. Howeler and Yoon have a great model shop and they created several dozen massing models/facade studies for this development.

If this does end up being limestone, it'll be one of the nicest facades that've gone up in the city in quite a while.

I don't care what tricks they need to play to get this past the horde of Bay Village nimby's who would prefer an ugly vacant lot to a streetwall with retail and people on Stuart st.

Winthrop Square deserves a building conceived with this much thoughtfulness.

I don't care what tricks they need to play to get this past the horde of Bay Village nimby's who would prefer an ugly vacant lot to a streetwall with retail and people on Stuart st.

+1

That is nice. i change my answer to, 'Let's roll.'

being that the area is less open than the Greenway, or Tremont, there's an advantage in doing 'this.'

wouldn't mind seeing some color though.

Back