Bay Village Apartment Tower | 212 Stuart St. | Bay Village

Re: Bay Village Apartment Tower | 212-222 Stuart St. | Bay Village

Reminds me of 45 Stuart

Updated with PNF & plans/renders. Also, height is 199'.

Not bad. Within the space constraints I don't think we could expect anything more distinctive.

I mean, parking lot filler is always good, and it is an odd gap on Stuart. Wish it could look a bit better though... maybe even a little bit taller ? :)

So that pig Billy is finally going for it, after years of conniving. And so much for saving the remains of the old church and incorporating it. Glad I broke into the old building and got those pictures. Its all that's left now.

See post #28 on the 212 Stuart St thread.

Ugh really? Absolutely none of that got spared? If we're too cheap these days to make buildings look good I don't understand it when they don't make any attempt to preserve what's existing. And people do pay more money for something in a pretty package, buildings included. I will pay higher rent to live in an architecturally distinct building (like I do now). I just don't get the logic.

This is good (if a bit boring) infill, but the site history is a travesty.

Looks like 45 Stuarts ugly(-ier?) sister...

Good infill though I guess. That lot has been in need of redevelopment for a long time.

Looks like someone took the Treehouse and ran it through Photoshop.

I'm with the neutral crowd... it's not exciting, in fact, it's pretty boring... but not horrible and I'm not drawn to either dislike or like it.

"Because you are neither cold nor hot but lukewarm, I spew you out of my mouth!"

...the site history is a travesty.

Sounds like Boston to me, where the default sniff-test is (at best) sour.

Looks like someone took the Treehouse and ran it through Photoshop.

Good call.

Imagine the architectural dialogue between this tower and the adjacent parking garage...

And yet, I don't hate it...

Bay Village Apartment Tower | 212 Stuart St.

Info:
Parcels: (4) - 212-222 Stuart St. & 17-19 Shawmut St.
Height: 19 stories, 199'-0"
Area: 146,000 SF
Units: 131 apartments
Retail: 3,000 SF
Parking: None, space agreement with garage nearby that the developer owns
Variances required: Use, height, FAR from the ZBA

CzQczPJW8AEsHEh.jpg

I feel like the red building to the right would be a good candidate to knock it down and go as high as allowable. (probably not too high because of shadow on the common laws) Would rather see more of that type of junk be replaced than what we would be losing on the same street with the Trinity Hotel or new "bubble" Hancock building.

I agree. Though it provides valuable accommodation, it is an architectural blight. 350 ok by me.

Hmmm, there's a lot of good site history on that 212 Stuart thread, and it's the same piece of land. Any reason why this thread shouldn't be merged into the existing one? Seems strange to abandon that thread.

As for the proposal, condos here make sense but the design is a boor. There's eleventy billion of these things already up in NYC and they're all uniformly banal.

I agree. Though it provides valuable accommodation, it is an architectural blight. 350 ok by me.

The red brick building is affordable housing. You'd have a real fight replacing it.

Hard to go even up to 300 ft here with the shadow on the Common and Public Garden law. That is part of what is causing the buzz cut height along/near Stuart Street: W, Ava, Kensington, Archstone, Revere Hotel.

Hmmm, there's a lot of good site history on that 212 Stuart thread, and it's the same piece of land. Any reason why this thread shouldn't be merged into the existing one? Seems strange to abandon that thread.

As for the proposal, condos here make sense but the design is a boor. There's eleventy billion of these things already up in NYC and they're all uniformly banal.

It should be merged. For some reason, this site didn't ring a bell with me & I forgot about the existing thread. There is indeed great history in that thread.

The address in the title should also be changed to 212 Stuart St. only. I originally created the thread based off a BBJ article that did not include the PNF. I later found the PNF and was able to pull more info including the official address.

This looks fine. The new hancock doesnt fit at all imo.

To the point: The Church St. side of this building should be only 3-4 stories, or maybe 6 at Stuart going back to 4 along Church. This is the entrance to Bay village and the building should respect that. That said, the missing square footage should be added to the top of the the building next to the Revere parking garage. Is anyone going to miss the view of a concrete parking structure? There is no imagination in regards to this proposal.

Back