Bay Village Apartment Tower | 212 Stuart St. | Bay Village

"I can't read this bar code."
<types SKU number in manually>
"Christ!"
<grabs microphone>
"Dave, Can I get a price check on these factory second pseudo-Deco scoop panels?"

Seriously... what aisle in PreFab R' Us did these come from?

Wait. One more.
"Po-mo you don't!"

Okay really. One more.
This looks like it was designed by a guy whose Iron Chef Architecture ingredient was cellphone antennas

(and does one side not have windows or is it me?)

Windows on 3 major sides. The wall facing the Reverse has some windows, but there's a strip from ground to roof that is windowless and I assume is stairs or elevators.

51805342045_f1957df449_b.jpg

51803657587_d4a7dd94ca_b.jpg

51804619536_b7c37492e4_b.jpg

51805341775_00ec93a83d_b.jpg

51803657197_ef79436828_b.jpg

Bingo. That’s the hero shot the developers were aiming for.

It has a certain affinity with the Pierce in that regard. Those developers basically incorporated a hero shot component into their building. Good thing too, otherwise there'd be nothing there to meet the eye.

True. Though kz’s photo has a Hugh Ferriss quality to its composition, with the two-point perspective and the clean lines.

That’s only a “hero shot” if the hero in question is the Red Bee or Squirrel Girl. This building (“tower”) sucks. Only instance where the parking lot was preferable.

Excellent proportions. Interesting façade treatment. This is the best "tower" of the last year. One of the few things going up now with decent architectural merit.

Wow. I haven't stopped in this page for a while. The texture of this building is sublime. We don't see heavily textured buildings going up in Boston much. It exciting to see a building playing with this design element in such a strong way. How the building is using the classical texture of fluting in a truly modernist way is realy refreshing. And those corners! We are so used to flat textures on our building we forget what any sort of articulation at a corner looks like. It is a very stoic looking building with some eye popping details. It almost looks like two different structures, a strong, modernist tower from afar and a playful, post-modern structure from up close.

Bingo. That’s the hero shot the developers were aiming for.

It's also nearly identical to the photo used for the original rendering (posted early on in this thread). I wanted to take a similar pic but KZ beat me to it.

I walk by this building all the time and have been up and down about it.

Building vs Rendering.jpg

Last edited:

Me too. Never felt any love or hate for it, but waffling between mild intrigue and mild disgust has become the norm for me.

It's also nearly identical to the photo used for the original rendering (posted early on in this thread). I wanted to take a similar pic but KZ beat me to it.

View attachment 20315
I like it as it turned out, particularly when the sun hits it a certain way and brings out shadows. But I have to admit, I love the rendering and wish they had the $$$ to make the facades as textured as the depiction.

View attachment 20315
Sorry but the render looks MUCH higher quality. The scalloping/ribbing and glass look busy but the focus is more on that than the glass whereas it's the reverse in the actual build. It looks cheaper and nowhere near as modern now.

Sorry but the render looks MUCH higher quality. The scalloping/ribbing and glass look busy but the focus is more on that than the glass whereas it's the reverse in the actual build. It looks cheaper and nowhere near as modern now.
The rendering is done with direct sun and sharp shadows. The photo is on an overcast day. This makes an enormous difference.

Back