Bay Village Apartment Tower | 212 Stuart St. | Bay Village

DBM

Reaction score
I walked by this yesterday with some friends and everyone commented on how ugly and instantly old it looks. For me, it came out far worse than the renders. The coloring, the panels, all of it looks disjointed and uneven in all of the wrong ways.
I walk by it constantly and am struck by the exact same impression regarding the "instantly old" aesthetic. In that regard, it reminds me of something Le Corb might have done, that has now becoming terribly dull, faded, etc. It is just so incredibly monotonous and dull in appearance.

It reinforces all of the worst, cardboard box-looking qualities of 45 Stuart, Kensington, and perhaps one or two of the other unredeemably blah towers that have gone up around North Station. Have we learned nothing? (he asks rhetorically...)

stellarfun

Reaction score
The Stuart St. side is not so bad; the much narrower west facade is asymmetry off the rails and into the gulch of chaotic design.

kz1000ps

Reaction score
Ham-fisted is what she said I keep thinking when I see this thing.

gac108

Reaction score
I feel like this building would look better if it was twice as tall.
Not sure I would want such ugliness to be so largely visible throughout the city. I would like it twice as tall with a different cladding. Trying to figure out a pattern and any semblance of cohesion to the ribbing makes my brain hurt.

cjbski

Reaction score
The renders on this were spectacular. The end product...woof. Better than that parking lot though. They must be assuming someone will develop the Revere/parking garage spot at some point.

Downburst

Reaction score
Walked by this a couple of weeks ago at the right time--I have to believe this wonderful pattern of light and shadow was the architects' vision when designing the façade. It's great to look at, but not sure if it's worthwhile when it seems this quality of light only occurs briefly each day, if at all.

_DSC9464.jpg

goody

Reaction score
I think its a winner, something tells me the details will bring this together at the end of the day. An interesting background building that I suspect will age much more gracefully than a lot similar projects around town.

Arborway

Reaction score
Align the windows, drop the colossal order framing of the windows and this building becomes a winner.

areiss

Reaction score
I wouldn't even mind if the windows were just offset, but the weirdly differing sizes make it seem like someone closed their eyes and randomly punched out holes in the facade.