Bay Village Apartment Tower | 212 Stuart St. | Bay Village

I feel like I blinked and this tower grew 10 stories.

9E494A41-E8A6-4698-B70E-E650B5298DEA.jpeg

17 floors still feels so short, but I know that cost scales with height. I'm just happy we're continuing to get more infill housing downtown here, especially with all the folks (grad students rooming together, international students with deep pockets, software developers and other knowledge workers) I see coming in and out of AVA Theater District and the Kensington. One of the penthouses of the Kensington was/is effectively the home and base of operations of the Japanese-based coffee company I used to work for. Still very happy about no parking being added with the two GIANT garages right nextdoor.

As penance for my rant, here's old photos from our Valentine's Day walk around the city last month. I think this really shows how the tower is filling in this corner of the outdoor room nicely.

If Motor Mart ever gets going, it's going to add a really glassy complement to this building.
2021-02-14 16.33.36.jpg

2021-02-14 16.33.34.jpg

I've lived in the neighborhood for close to 20 years and this is so good, so good. I can't find the maths, but my understanding was that this might become THE most expensive rental building in the city per square foot. Which is crazy to think of...all of Boston...and Bay Villiage gets the nod.

I've lived in the neighborhood for close to 20 years and this is so good, so good. I can't find the maths, but my understanding was that this might become THE most expensive rental building in the city per square foot. Which is crazy to think of...all of Boston...and Bay Villiage gets the nod.

This, in my opinion, is the problem with Boston. Having the most expensive rental building per square foot in an already expensive city should not be praised in any scenario. And I agree, it's crazy, crazy and a problem that a place in Bay Village should get such a nod.

"More of less". I like that. Makes a nice complement to "Less is more", as in "Let's have more of less (because less is more)." ;)
This isn't as clever or as funny is you think it is

And I agree, it's crazy, crazy and a problem that a place in Bay Village should get such a nod.

Have you guys ever walked through Bay Village?! I have, dozens of times, during morning rush hour, from Back Bay station heading toward DTX. In the midst of the noise and the traffic and all the assorted unpleasantness of morning rush hour in the area, Bay Village is an oasis of calm solitude, an exceedingly pleasant enclave of gorgeous rowhouses. And yet it is within a 15-minute walk of a elite array of cultural/civic attractions--Fenway, MFA, BPL, BSO, DTX, Boylston, Newbury, and the Columbus St. overpass to convey you into the South End. It is the LEAST surprising thing that Bay Village area should command the highest prices. It has all of the desirable attributes of Beacon Hill, minus the annoyance of the steep slopes (which, face it, are a hassle for walking unless you're seeking exercise). The only place it would be very strange in Bay Village for the highest prices in the city to be would (of course) be the Cortes St. frontage on the Pike, but this is not going up there.

Also, how does this "get such a nod" thing work? Is there a central planning soviet for the urban Boston residential price spectrum that meets weekly to formally dispense said "nods," in order to create every available price point that shall constitute the market?

Have you guys ever walked through Bay Village?! I have, dozens of times, during morning rush hour, from Back Bay station heading toward DTX. In the midst of the noise and the traffic and all the assorted unpleasantness of morning rush hour in the area, Bay Village is an oasis of calm solitude, an exceedingly pleasant enclave of gorgeous rowhouses. And yet it is within a 15-minute walk of a elite array of cultural/civic attractions--Fenway, MFA, BPL, BSO, DTX, Boylston, Newbury, and the Columbus St. overpass to convey you into the South End. It is the LEAST surprising thing that Bay Village area should command the highest prices. It has all of the desirable attributes of Beacon Hill, minus the annoyance of the steep slopes (which, face it, are a hassle for walking unless you're seeking exercise). The only place it would be very strange in Bay Village for the highest prices in the city to be would (of course) be the Cortes St. frontage on the Pike, but this is not going up there.

Also, how does this "get such a nod" thing work? Is there a central planning soviet for the urban Boston residential price spectrum that meets weekly to formally dispense said "nods," in order to create every available price point that shall constitute the market?

Exactly. Given it's combination of scale, architecture, quietude, and walkable access to. . . literally everything, Bay Village is one of the very best urban neighborhoods in the entire country.

Back