BCEC expansion | Seaport

In regards to the Massport Transportation Center, Skanska is preparing to mobilize and start construction relatively soon (first of the year?) which would explain the site activity.

Construction on what exactly?

Wouldn't a new lot on Pappas' property be in violation of the South Boston Parking Freeze?

Does the parking freeze cover all the Seaport lots? If so, a lot of spaces have been taken off line with construction. I don't think the garages built have kept up?? Not sure who keeps count.

Does the parking freeze cover all the Seaport lots? If so, a lot of spaces have been taken off line with construction. I don't think the garages built have kept up?? Not sure who keeps count.
Afaik all parking spaces that were previously surface are intact in the buried garages at in the seaport square and can pier developments.

3 levels down under everything keeps all those spaces on the books.

its not that simple. the surface parking that was there were all public parking spaces according to the parking freeze.
the spaces in the garages are accessory spaces for the on site uses (and in some cases, neighboring uses) with only a few public spaces.

https://www.boston.gov/departments/environment/south-boston-parking-freeze
It is that simple.
Only residential parking is except.
All off street parking is capped. Whether open to public or corporate parking.

Seamus as usual it really is not that simple

First there is the Massport property -- that has its own parking rules

Second there are parking spaces reserved for buses, tourist vans, delivery trucks, service vehicles, queuing for trucks associated with events at the WTC or BCEC, queuing for taxis, parking for USPS workers and a whole bunch of other non-ordinary passenger vehicles.

My guess is that the lots that far away from the Fort Point Channel are probably for buses or some sort of the exempt category

Finally -- When the New Sheriff rides into DC a lot of the power of the EPA [based solely on an executive order signed by President Nixon] will be consigned to the proverbial "Ash Bin of History"

Yasss. And I don't know why! Bids on this lot (for a hotel) were due last year, right? (This was Round 2 of proposals, I believe.)

But, nothing's been approved, I don't think?

I would love to see something halfway decent proposed here. Something that is different from the boxes that we have been getting.

This is the most vast and dead area in the entire seaport imo. With regards to street life and urbanity this may have the biggest impact of all projects. You walk out of the bcec and theres a huge dead grass/dirt hill, train tracks, and a highway cutting through. This is a major piece of sewing the area together. Theres bigger open spaces, like some parts of fort point, but theyre flat parking lots surrounded by other buildings. The way this is grade separated I feel makes it very open. This is going to be huge for the area... cant wait for steel to start flying.

The Commonwealth is exploring options for redeveloping the BCEC expansion land as something other than a BCEC expansion. [Globe]

And the Mayor isn't happy about that. [Globe]

The Commonwealth is exploring options for redeveloping the BCEC expansion land as something other than a BCEC expansion. [Globe]

And the Mayor isn't happy about that. [Globe]

That's terrible. We could really use a larger convention center to make us competitive with the biggest convention destinations.

New development can really go anywhere. The rest of the convention center can only go in one place.

Back