Berklee Expansion Plans | Back Bay

11IWasNotExpectingThis.gif

That's the height I was looking for! I could already see this project poking up over the surrounding buildings from Renaissance Garage at NU the last few weeks, but these columns will make it so much more noticeable. Hooray for mechanical floors!

On a side note, cladding still hasn't started. I'm excited to see what the steel brings to the project- hopefully it will look good.

I don't have a good picture, but this project is now remarkably visible from the Longfellow bridge. Noticed it on the Red Line just now- definitely a new peak in the area. It does well to extend the spine a bit.

Does anyone know the final height of this. It has got to be one of the tallest "16" story buildings out there. I'm thinking over 200ft maybe 220.

Sorry about the quality, but here's a view from Cambridge.

0MiwA.jpg

I'll never switch from my BB. I love the keyboard. Perhaps they can just become a text/SMS provider, like in the old days. I'm tempted to get a Samsung Android phone but that would probably just supplement my Blackberry.

Does anyone know the final height of this. It has got to be one of the tallest "16" story buildings out there. I'm thinking over 200ft maybe 220.

I thought it was 240 originally then finally 198. Topping off was rescheduled for next Thursday at 11.45 a.m.

I'll never switch from my BB. I love the keyboard. Perhaps they can just become a text/SMS provider, like in the old days. I'm tempted to get a Samsung Android phone but that would probably just supplement my Blackberry.

Android is awkward, defective and just uncomfortable/uneasy to use in my experience. Currently have a crappy HTC Android (not my choice - provided by work) and a Blackberry. Previously had an iPhone. Blackberry is great for work; iPhone was great (before it was stolen) for personal use. Android sucks for everything.

Could someone please straighten out something for me? When this project was first shown to the public there was a much taller building going up at the corner of Mass Ave and Boylston St. with another, shorter one at the present location of this building. What happened?

Could someone please straighten out something for me? When this project was first shown to the public there was a much taller building going up at the corner of Mass Ave and Boylston St. with another, shorter one at the present location of this building. What happened?

From Berklee Wikipedia Page
In early 2011, Berklee College of Music announced its master plan of building 3 new buildings along the Massachusetts Avenue. First expected to be completed by Fall 2013 is the 16-story mixed-use building at 160 Massachusetts Avenue. This building will include 370 dorm rooms, a two-story cafeteria, a performance center, recording studios, and retail space. The second building is going to be built at the top of existing 130–136 Massachusetts Avenue (The Berklee Performance Centre). The new building is expected to house additional 450 students, as well as a state-of-the-art performing center, in its 24-story tall building. The third building is planned to be in 161–171 Massachusetts Avenue, which is expected to contain more academic and administrative space for the Berklee College of Music.

Right...that big tower is just one part of the comprehensive master plan Berklee had been working on since '06. Its time will come.

The performance stage for this building is going to be pretty sick. Its going to be on the second floor and behind the stage will be the glass wall that looks out onto Mass Ave. Thats a cool back drop.

Thank you Gentlemen, I was thinking I'd missed something along the way.

f58sjo.jpg

Looks like a nice little addition to the skyline. High hopes for the skin of this building - Berklee can afford whatever expensive glass details William Rawn comes up with.

I think eventually we might draw comparisons between this and the new dormitory at MassArt. Two buildings that "elevate" their respective campuses while they improve the overall quality of the area.

Lawd, I hope they don't cheap out on the details and execution. If they do we'll have another Kensington-style dud on our hands. But if they do it right this could approach the refined character of Northeastern's tower on Huntington, which not so coincidentally is a William Rawn product as well.

Despite the size of this coming in at 200 feet it does a decent job extending the skyline. I will say it does seem somewhat strange if the neighbors wanted the size of this building significantly scaled back... You have the second talest buildingi in the city 500 feet away is an additional 50" really going to blow the roof off?

My friend who works at Berklee real estate says:

The topping off has been rescheduled to 12/4 at 2pm. The beam will be on the ground for signing from 9am-2pm that day. Come on by and write your name on a big chunk of metal. For HISTORY!

Back