Biking in Boston

HenryAlan

Reaction score
I was under the impression that there was also a similar path on the outbound side, but maybe the construction hasn't happened yet.

Downburst

Reaction score
I was under the impression that there was also a similar path on the outbound side, but maybe the construction hasn't happened yet.
I live down the street--the space is there, but if I had to guess it looks like they're waiting for the Hilton to wrap up construction before finishing the path network up.

ra84970

Reaction score
Looks like a couple of interesting bits of news for off street paths in the People's Republic

1. Watertown Cambridge Greenway is partially paved.

2. Grand junction path design open house is posted online

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 8709
is Walnut street even needed as a thru street? Or: does this need both a right turn lane from High northbound to Wash eastbound *and* walnut street? Shouldnt they just force all rights from High to go via Walnut and reduce some conflicting movements?

Bananarama

Reaction score

Well...

AFAIK there's no plan to replace them with a different barrier. Also that's pathetic verbiage; the barriers aren't causing any accidents 🙄
Yep. It's the barriers that cause the accidents. Not the inattentive idiot drivers in this city...
I hear the complaints about them are their visibility, so maybe a less-hastily installed solution with vertical posts (something slightly more permanent...) would work. Commit to a better long-term solution and build an actual curb divider.

North Shore

Reaction score
Yep. It's the barriers that cause the accidents. Not the inattentive idiot drivers in this city...
I hear the complaints about them are their visibility, so maybe a less-hastily installed solution with vertical posts (something slightly more permanent...) would work. Commit to a better long-term solution and build an actual curb divider.
I could be completely wrong, but given the timing of that Twitter post (to which I replied with the very same argument), its seems to me that the city was removing the barriers in advance of the storm so that plows could clear the streets curb to curb.

I can't guarantee that those exact barriers will be put back, but something will be put there to physically separate the lanes at some point, presumably after winter.

Last edited:

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
I could be completely wrong, but given the timing of that Twitter post (to which I replied with their very same argument), its seems to me that the city was removing the barriers in advance of the storm so that plows could clear the streets curb to curb.

I can't guarantee that those exact barriers will be put back, but something will be put there to physically separate the lanes at some point, presumably after winter.
Perhaps. I don't know if those curb barriers were taken away everywhere. The flex-posts weren't removed elsewhere in the city.

HenryAlan

Reaction score
View attachment 8709
is Walnut street even needed as a thru street? Or: does this need both a right turn lane from High northbound to Wash eastbound *and* walnut street? Shouldnt they just force all rights from High to go via Walnut and reduce some conflicting movements?
It would be interesting to learn more about the pattern, but I think some of it might relate to managing traffic flow. High St. gets backed up, so Walnut serves as a relief valve of sorts.

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
There is also no publicly available record of the 10 accidents. The whole thing is quite infuriating.
Indeed. I should say that I can't vouch for the info LiveBoston put in the Tweet. At a glance the account seems to be cycling-skeptical. Maybe it is just a snow removal thing. But I'm not sure.

George_Apley

Not a Brahmin
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats to Peter Chung who is MassBike's Advocate of the Year! He's pretty prolific with organizing and calling out the city.