Blackstone buildings in line for ground floor rehabs.

Not that we need any more Citibank branches occupying our commercial spaces. I'm hoping the current recession causes them to leave our region.

So far 225 franklin looks decent however from a distance One Post Office Sq lobby looks odd, the white marble does not seem to match anything. Maybe once it done it will look better.
I thought they were doing 60 State(ugliest lobby in the city), maybe they are waiting for MBTA blue line lobby entrance to be done first

today from 99 high st
011-5.jpg

Not that we need any more Citibank branches occupying our commercial spaces. I'm hoping the current recession causes them to leave our region.

It's not like a quaint local bank would take their place - we'd just all be using Bank of America. At least with Citibank I can go to New York (or Paris) and make a fee-free transaction.

The other buildings don't seem to be greatly affected. However, 225 Franklin, at least in those two-month old pictures, seems to lose some of the drama of the protruding, hanging bays over the sunken plaza now that it's flattened and evened out with the glass extensions/enclosures. Yeah, I know--that sunken plaza was never a great or usable enough space otherwise for most of the year given Boston climate conditions. Still....

150 Fed/100 High

img7810.jpg

225 Franklin:

img7814.jpg

These have popped up on the Franklin Street side:

img7813.jpg

One Post Office Square:

img7821.jpg

img7822.jpg

At night, the extreme white lighting on that gigantic piece of white marble is striking!

It makes me want to go in there and throw cans of paint at the wall.

There was a way to tastefully integrate these new facades with the buildings themselves. Sad they went for the tacked-on approach. These now look like the 2000s equivalent of 19th century buildings that were plastered with corrugated iron during the 60s and 70s so their retail tenants could look more like they inhabited "modern" strip malls.

Stay out of 225 Franklin on a rainy day. The floors are slick when it rains. People were sliding all over the place last week after the new entrance was put into use.

60 State Street is a Gordon Bunshaft building (he was just about on his deathbed at the time), the lobby is BEAUTIFUL, to think otherwise is heresy.
-The Cult of Modernsim | Local 403 Enforcement Division

No. Because it is a giant, useless (but very pretty) empty lobby.

It could make a nice miniature Apple Store with that color and material palette.

All of these lobbies, apparently owned by the same company, have gotten the exact same treatment. I thought there was a desire for greater activity at ground level. Boy, was I wrong. It's a good thing Michelangelo is not looking for any white marble for his sculptures...It's all been cut into slabs for these barren lobbies!

So what was the purpose of this if it isn't going to provide rentable space (and therefore rental income)?

Flash & Dazzle, Shock & Awe, Dog & Pony.

Prettier lobby = higher rents?

Back