Boston 2020 Olympics

"There has been some financial conflict between the USOC and International Olympic Committee (IOC) with some pointing out the frequent leadership changes of USOC and USOC trying to broadcast the Olympics using its own television network, which the IOC discouraged.

The USOC president Peter Ueberroth supposedly stonewalled a negotiation between IOC and USOC to discuss the revenue sharing of the US broadcasts with IOC. IOC also suspected that USOC was trying to keep all sponsorship and other revenues if the Olympics were hosted in the United States.

Also there is suspicion by the IOC of USOC thinking that just having better facilities and therefore a stronger technical bid is enough to convince the world that Olympics should be hosted in the United States without offering much while taking a hardline stance on other issues.

The failure of the 2012 and 2016 US Olympic bids was partly blamed on the USOC. For instance, Dick Ebersol said after the failed 2016 bid, "This was the IOC membership saying to the USOC there will be no more domestic Olympics until you join the Olympic movement."

--Wikipedia

A moot thread.

The USOC has decided not to nominate any US city for the 2020 games, nor does it know whether it will nominate a US city for the 2024 games.

So . . . Boston is theoretically in the running for a possible 2024 bid?

So . . . Boston is theoretically in the running for a possible 2024 bid?
Theoretically yes. Practically, probably a big No.

The Washington Post article I provided the link to said that the USOC didn't sense that any US city was really keen on trying for a 2020 bid. I'm not sure what the costs are of preparing a serious bid -- might be $100 million when all is said and done. The city of Chicago spent about $75 million on its failed bid.

Theoretically yes. Practically, probably a big No.

The Washington Post article I provided the link to said that the USOC didn't sense that any US city was really keen on trying for a 2020 bid. I'm not sure what the costs are of preparing a serious bid -- might be $100 million when all is said and done. The city of Chicago spent about $75 million on its failed bid.

I personally was glad to see Chicago lose, only because there have never been games held in South America. If any American city gets to host, it should be Chicago. The games in Atlanta were a poor showing for the United States.

I don't have much faith in Boston, but Atlanta was a joke practically any real city could surpass.

What was so bad about the Atlanta Olympics?
Atlanta itself. Have you ever been there? It's not a city, not even downtown.

Eric Rudolph and his terrorist bomb --and the innocent guy the cops tried to pin it on.

olympics-mascot-izzy.jpg

...the degree of hucksterism, transportation problems, the records system which kept breaking down (as well as the organizers' screw up by recording athletes' physiological info -- ht/wt, etc. -- in lbs, not in metrics), Eric Rudolph, the 911 dispatchers who didn't even know where the Olympic park was where Rudolph set his bomb, the jingoistic crowds...

And if Boston should host the games ... ?

We will never know because Boston will never be awarded the games.

Wayyyy too commercialized. One of the main forms of funding the games received were from corporations who advertised heavily, it had a carnival atmosphere at times. Also, the transportation flat out sucked. Atlanta 2010 still has pretty poor options for a city so big and a metro area so sprawled out. Atlanta 1996 was even worse. Some of the venues left a loft to be desired.

so now that the USOC announced that they will not bid on the olympics (things could change, the host city won't be announced til 2013) the olympics in boston is close to a dead idea.

To quote Kent Brockman: "Springfield is expecting an economic boom from the Olympics, like the one Sarajevo experienced after the '84 Olympics."

Until Atlanta the IOC president traditionally proclaimed each Olympics the "best ever".

He slyly called Atlanta's "most exceptional".

Boston 2020 was neer gonig to happen, anyhow. The IOC (and much of the world) considers North and South America a single continent. With Rio hosting in 2016, it was unlikely the IOC would schedule two successive summer games on the same continent. The IOC needs to move the games around to provide real time/optimal TV viewership in various time zones and to keep global interest in them.

I think 2028 is more likely the right time to bid (and possibly again in 2032).

Back