Boston 2024

For low spectator sports that are more outdoorsey (BMX, sailing, whatever else) it makes a lot of sense to host them in places that already have that infrastructure. First of all, you DON'T have to build something new to accommodate it in Boston (huge bonus). Second, it spreads the love around and allows a few select communities to highlight and/or upgrade their pre-existing venues.

Gotta be honest, Dave, I thought that picture was a sarcastic inclusion the first time I saw it - it looks like a lot of people at first glance. On the other hand, that many people probably go to Newport every Saturday in the Summer. There are plenty of other events there that draw crowds. Add in that some people are only interested in sailing and would stay in Newport or Providence rather than brave the traffic from Boston, and it's probably pretty manageable.

Now, I think it would be cool to put Tennis there as well (the HOF is there and that's yet another new venue Boston wouldn't need to build), but that might be asking too much in terms of venue funding.

I wonder what kind of transpo the London Olympics even had out to Weymouth. Gmaps says there's a train (estimating a 4hr trip), but maybe they just did a shuttle or said fuck it? Just saying, do we even need a train down there? Maybe the IOC just figures the sailing crowd can handle getting there on their own.

I think I saw that london got 60,000 spectators. So less than your average football game. I'm pretty sure the existing transportation infrastructure could handle that, not to mention if it were supplemented by a train. I posted that pic to illustrate that while there is a crowd, its a rather spread out crowd sitting on a grassy hill. It reminds me of some summer concerts, or the beach. Hardly the mobs you encounter at the main venues.

bos.jpg

RIDOT will rebuild that drawbridge if SCR goes to Fall River. The ROW in Tiverton is not abandoned because P&W--at RIDOT's request--never abandoned its freight rights to Newport, even though they haven't been used since 1988 and there's no possibility of any freight returning to Aquidneck Island with the Navy facility being much scaled-back. The line is railbanked, a long-term out-of-service designation which gives P&W at-will reactivation rights if the line is brought up to whatever environmental/safety regs may have changed since '88. Not landbanked, which is when an abandoned line with no extant operator is put in the deep-freeze. Interstate commerce preemption gets a railbanked line woken up worlds easier (not easy, but way easier)than a landbanked line, and it doesn't matter if P&W (line operator) and RIDOT (line owner) file for reactivation and the only traffic ends up being passenger with those freight rights as un-exercised as ever. They're the ones with right of first refusal.

Now, that doesn't mean a Purple Line train is going to go blasting past a bunch of beachfront NIMBY's saying "Nyah-nyah! Can't touch me!" It means nobody can thwart the line in its original configuration from being made operable again with the kinds of Operation Chaos freakshows that happened during Greenbush construction or are being fought now with SCR in the Raynham swamp. Doesn't mean upping the permitting from 10 MPH freight traffic to 60 MPH commuter rail traffic isn't going to be an epic cripple fight. It does mean they can get the line declared provisionally active again and locked into final configuration before the passenger upgrades get final-designed and EIS'd. Takes riff-raff off the table "Grade crossings are the mark of Satan! Buy me a free tunnel!" or "Thou shalt only run magic unicorn electric trains under invisible wires". Still yes to frustrations like soundwalls, fights over pedestrian beachfront access, "Your ground-level rails obstruct my view of Venus", and concern-trolling about it disturbing protected deer tick and mosquito habitats. Tiverton does have the advantage of NOT having any public grade crossings...just 4 or 5 private driveway and boat access ped crossings on a shoreline too rocky for beaches. They might have to haggle with a Riverside Dr. (next to the bridge) residents for an at-grade crossing this time around because the old overpass there could barely clear the top of a pickup truck, but only having to fight those cripple fights 1-on-1 and limited-liability with landowners instead of over town streets is a shitload easier to do.

So...they could opt to build the new drawbridge, which only crosses 360 ft. abutment-to-abutment (only about 150 ft. longer than Gloucester Draw on the Rockport Line). Then re-lay fresh new track to the Inland Fuel Terminals tank farm straddling the state line where the Fall River tracks end. Line is active (but unused) from Port of Fall River to the Gold Medal Bakery factory on Penn St., out-of-service (but NOT railbanked) the last half-mile to Inland Fuel. Mt. Hope Ave. about 1600 ft. shy of the state line is the only public grade crossing in city of Fall River (paved over, but that's legal on an OOS line with the RR's permission and IOU from the city to pay for crossing repairs if Inland Fuel requests freight service again). Then run the dinner train as a 25 MPH seasonal and weekend shuttle to the commuter rail station at Fall River Depot for a couple of years until the trains have been de-stigmatized enough to push through the big-money upgrades to signalize and push the speeds to commuter-grade. Wouldn't be much different from how the Cape Flyer came to be on slow-ass track, except that the new rail in Tiverton and over the bridge would be mint condition and supporting of higher speeds when the rest of the line got replaced and the cripple fights over higher-speed safety fencing and cable trenching got settled.

They're not gonna do this until there is some sort of passenger connection to link to in MA. Even Newport-Taunton would be excruciating as a private shuttle trip on all that horrid existing track. But the hurdle for reactivation and reconnection to the mainland is quite low, and can be front-loaded and set up barebones at reasonable expense with a commuter-quality Phase II being pushed through later once the tears of impotent rage in Tiverton have quieted. RIDOT's and P&W's little quid pro quo wink-wink railbanking trickery there is the foresight that makes it all possible. So I think they'll pounce at fast-tracking the reconnection--if little more--when SCR is not only a lock but has a reliable opening date pegged. Fits their transit MO for staggered build-outs...small state, can't fund a monolithic project in one sitting, more disciplined at spending wisely when it appropriates small task-specific projects in an ongoing series instead of going too big too soon, relies heavily on neighbors to supply traffic and connections. Can't see why they'd break stride from what's been working and working well on their other rail projects, so staggered-and-steady chunks meeting MA's handiwork at the border seems like the best way to treat Newport too.

The fodder offered up in the RI 2014 State Rail Plan seems to jibe with that view. They want to fund some on-island track improvements to make the dinner train more useful general-purpose transit, study the bridge and Tiverton when SCR gives them a reason to, then springboard from there in a direction towards commuter-quality speeds. But not jump the gun and say commuter rail is going to lead all other investments by the nose when they can't predict what awaits in Fall River or how much Massachusetts is willing to impale itself with defective-by-design service to get to Fall River.

Last edited:
What are we looking at here?

Radian, for sure, is correctly rendered right in front of 1 Lincoln St. I guess the other renderings represent Millennium Tower and whatever's proposed for South Station? Millennium Tower is not juxtaposed correctly to 101 Arch St., FWIW--they should be smashed up against each other, but instead 101 Arch has floated off to the northeast. Also, what's that rendering in Winthrop Square?

Just some buildings I Sketched Up. Thought I'd share.

Ah... this thread is specifically discussing the Boston 2024 Olympic bid, not Boston in 2024 generally. Sorry if we were confusing... ;)

Re: Boston 2024 Olympics

Maybe change the thread's title to "Boston 2024 Olympic Plans" ?

(and can the posts upthread be deleted? they sure do break up the flow)

But it was completely understandable to think this thread was about the 10-year horizon...people are doing 10-year visioning, as with the MBTA's recent 2024 vision.

And now, back to the Olympics.

It would seem that North America will be quite ripe for a visit by 2024. The IOC does seem to value continental diversity.

By then it'll be 14 years since Vancouver and 28 years (7 "Olympiads") since Atlanta.

2004 Oceania Sydney
2006 Europe: Turino
2008 Asia: Beijing
2010 NoAm: Vancouver
2012 Europe: London
2014 Europe: Sochi
2016 SoAm: Rio de Janeiro
2018 Asia: Pyeongchang (S. Korea)
2020 Asia: Tokyo
2022 (finalists: Europe/Oslo, Eurasia/Kazakhstan, Asia/Beijing

Re: Boston 2024 Olympics

Beyond that, it IS physically impossible to host Olympic Sailing north of the Braga Bridge in the Taunton River and the Fall River section of Mt. Hope Bay is riddled with physical obstacles.

Yeah, my bad. I goofed on Fall River's geography.

It would seem that North America will be quite ripe for a visit by 2024. The IOC does seem to value continental diversity.

By then it'll be 14 years since Vancouver and 28 years (7 "Olympiads") since Atlanta.

2004 Oceania Sydney
2006 Europe: Turino
2008 Asia: Beijing
2010 NoAm: Vancouver
2012 Europe: London
2014 Europe: Sochi
2016 SoAm: Rio de Janeiro
2018 Asia: Pyeongchang (S. Korea)
2020 Asia: Tokyo
2022 (finalists: Europe/Oslo, Eurasia/Kazakhstan, Asia/Beijing

Don't count Europe out just yet. In 2024 it will be ten years after the last European summer games and there are a bunch of European cities in the running. The two most serious bids are Paris (which last hosted the games in 1924, making this a potential 100 year anniversary) and Berlin. There isn't a lot of places that the Winter Games can go so while they have some influence on Summer Games voting habits, its not enough to stop European cities from bidding, especially if they missed two Summer Games in a row. Although yeah, North America is more deserving.

There is also the factor of South Africa bidding. Africa has never hosted an Olympics and the IOC may grant them the bid even if their technical score isn't better than the competition like they did with Rio de Janeiro to get the first South American Olympics. Durban is the city people seem to think would be used to bid for a Summer Olympics and they are currently bidding for the 2022 Commonwealth Games. It is possible that they are aiming for 2032 and won't even bid for 2024 or that the IOC would wait to see what they do with those 2022 before giving them an Olympics.

I think it's safe to say that after the Rio 2016 debacle, the IOC won't be going back to a developing country for a few cycles. I think Durban 2032 sounds reasonable, definitely not 2024.

If the USOC goes with LA this time around (arguably the frontrunner), the IOC will likely pick Paris. If you're going to go back to a city that's already hosted, why not go to the one with the 100 year anniversary? In that case, 2028 would be almost guaranteed to go to N. America, at which point Boston could bid again and have a much better chance of winning. Historically, it takes at least two tries to be selected.

That's how I see this playing out. Boston 2028, kickoff celebration for the city's 400th birthday. You heard it here first.

I feel like if Boston doesn't get 2024, it won't submit another bid.

I'm a huge supporter of this effort, but I feel like there isn't enough real oomph behind it, and if we don't get selected for this one, I don't see there being anything left in the tank to do it again for 2028.

I feel like if Boston doesn't get 2024, it won't submit another bid.
It's hard to predict the future, but I more or less agree. Right now we've got a confluence of a new leader looking to make a splash (Walsh), old money looking to leave a legacy (Fish, Kraft), and a big backlog of projects that either should be done (Soccer Stadium, UMass Boston expansion) or need to be done (infrastructure fixes/improvements, housing crisis solution). I'm leaving things out for the sake of brevity, but that's the gist of it. In a few years, we probably won't be in the same boat.

I think it's safe to say that after the Rio 2016 debacle, the IOC won't be going back to a developing country for a few cycles. I think Durban 2032 sounds reasonable, definitely not 2024.

If the USOC goes with LA this time around (arguably the frontrunner), the IOC will likely pick Paris. If you're going to go back to a city that's already hosted, why not go to the one with the 100 year anniversary? In that case, 2028 would be almost guaranteed to go to N. America, at which point Boston could bid again and have a much better chance of winning. Historically, it takes at least two tries to be selected.

That's how I see this playing out. Boston 2028, kickoff celebration for the city's 400th birthday. You heard it here first.

It's possible that LA is the frontrunner, but I don't think so. I don't follow LA planning blogs, so I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem like LA's been pushing their bid nearly as visibly as Boston has. Sure they have a render or two of venues around the Coliseum, but Boston 2024 has been pounding the PR and is a huge topic of conversation around the city.

LA also has a transportation problem. They got away with it in 1984 because no one else would host the Games, but a Coliseum-based Olympics would be served by a single street-running light rail line that in that area constitutes the "world-class transit system" they're building. A different single LRT line will serve LAX. On transportation, Boston has LA beat by miles.

I'm not sure who the front-runner is, or if there is one. I doubt the USOC has a favorite until they've seen the actual plans.

Back