Boston 2024

I think it would be cool to have the Olympics come here, but I hope it doesn't happen. Boston and MA have such a HUGE whole when it comes to infrastructure, the last thing we need to do is blow our limited budget building for the Olympics.

I think it would be cool to have the Olympics come here, but I hope it doesn't happen. Boston and MA have such a HUGE whole when it comes to infrastructure, the last thing we need to do is blow our limited budget building for the Olympics.

Um... you just mentioned that Boston has a huge hole in its infrastructure. What makes you think that the new infrastructure built won't be used after the Olympics? It will encourage great TOD developments along new transit ROWs and improve the efficiency of the entire system as a whole.

Like most of us on this board I see the olympics as an opportunity for transit improvements, middle income and/or dorm housing (athletes village), and hotel building. The venues will be good for the schools/universities, but honestly that won't impact urbanism much.

Here is the 10 billion dollar question: 2024 is only 11 years away. Lacking an existing plan for a new transit line or extension of an existing one, is it even possible to start now and finish on time?

I think the idea for a green line extension via Essex Street surface to the silver line tunnel is plausible on that time frame because of prior studies and limited environmental constraints. I'd prefer to see it burried under Essex, but that seems much less likely on a short timeline.

Red-Blue at MGH? Plausibility knowing that Longfellow will be torn up for next 3 years?

How about GC being torn up for the next 3 years? Major impediment to doing anything else affecting the central subway?

DMU service along the Grand Junction is definitely plausible, but will it be possible to offer rapid transit level of service after the games? Or is it more of a commuter type schedule? I don't know much about it.

Am I being pessimistic about what can be done in 10 years time? Can you study, plan, take land, build, and start service on a brand new transit line (Urban Ring? Mass Ave subway?) in 10 years?

I think the idea for a green line extension via Essex Street surface to the silver line tunnel is plausible on that time frame because of prior studies and limited environmental constraints. I'd prefer to see it burried under Essex, but that seems much less likely on a short timeline.

One advantage of surfacing the GL on Essex is that the Dudley Square Silver Line can then use the same portal at South Station to access the waterfront service.

Am I being pessimistic about what can be done in 10 years time? Can you study, plan, take land, build, and start service on a brand new transit line (Urban Ring? Mass Ave subway?) in 10 years?

That's the whole thing, theoretically it would get everyone in get shit done mode. Throw a "get this contract done on or ahead of schedule, otherwise not only do we fine and fire you but we embarrass you in front of the whole world" clause in the construction contracts and I think you would see movement.

Um... you just mentioned that Boston has a huge hole in its infrastructure. What makes you think that the new infrastructure built won't be used after the Olympics? It will encourage great TOD developments along new transit ROWs and improve the efficiency of the entire system as a whole.

No, you misunderstand me. I think the Olympics would bring good and lasting changes to metro Boston's infrastructure, it could also bring new business to the area, but the rest of MA probably would not feel the effects, meaning that bridges, dams, and connecting rail services to other parts of the state might not happen. Good for Boston, but maybe not all of MA.

A thought crossed my mind this morning and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it. What effect (if any) do you believe yesterday's marathon tragedy would have on a Boston bid to host the 2024 olympics?

A thought crossed my mind this morning and I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it. What effect (if any) do you believe yesterday's marathon tragedy would have on a Boston bid to host the 2024 olympics?

Little to none. If anything, it proved that Boston has the resiliency to handle an incident of this magnitude, as yesterday's bombing was rather identical to the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bombing that killed 1 and injured 120.

Edited to adjust statistics

Last edited:
The London attacks came the day after the city had won the right to the 2012 games. No one, to my recollection, questioned the city's ability to handle them after.

The people of Boston are going to sink a Boston 2024 bid long before any practical concerns (of which anything to do with yesterday's tragedy and the ongoing response to it) get the chance to.

LOL @Tulsa and Dallas. And I'm amazed joint, two-country bids keep getting proposed when the IOC slaps them down every year (it'd be especially unworkable at the fortified US-Mex. border). San Francisco, LA, and *maybe* Philly would be the only real competition.

You laugh, but I'm ready to declare Dallas a better choice for the 2024 Olympics then Boston.

I'm dead serious. We'd be better off with Dallas 2024.

Dallas would be Atlanta II: Return of the Boring, Middle of Nowhere Provincial US Olympic Candidate Cities.

The IOC wouldn't even go with Chicago when it had sexier choices abroad. Dallas is a guaranteed dud and the USOC wouldn't go near it if it were smart.

Los Angeles has shown itself to be quite competent at hosting the Olympics. But is the IOC willing to let any city host the games for a third time?

Los Angeles has shown itself to be quite competent at hosting the Olympics. But is the IOC willing to let any city host the games for a third time?

London's had it 3 times and it worked out OK.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cities#Host_cities_for_multiple_Olympic_Games

But I think they've started to see that the "good" Olympics happen in bigger cities (more support infrastructure, more organizational resilience). At the same time, it helps to have a big empty, central parcel of land (or an existing mega stadium).

I'd think Chicago should try again. Or Philly, if it could get its act together.

Dallas would be Atlanta II: Return of the Boring, Middle of Nowhere Provincial US Olympic Candidate Cities.

The IOC wouldn't even go with Chicago when it had sexier choices abroad. Dallas is a guaranteed dud and the USOC wouldn't go near it if it were smart.

You mean the same type of cities that, with the glaring exception of LA, have populated the sum total of the list of cities that have won the Olympic bid for the US?

Dallas is hardly provincial, anyway, and I like KDFW's chances of not choking to death on an influx of Olympics goers a hell of a lot better than any of the competition - to say nothing of the city itself.

An Olympics bid would also be a nice booster for the nascent mass transit network in Dallas - and "quaint little tourist trolleys evolve into world-class transit network for Dallas, city does not implode into communist hellscape as detractors feared" is going to cause far more beneficial ripple effects across the country and especially across the southern states than any amount of build-out in Boston.

Plus, something tells me that the population of Dallas is going to look 250% committed to an Olympics bid when compared to the population of Boston. Like I said, rest assured that the people of this city are going to sink the Olympics bid a long time before anyone else gets a chance to.

We're the dud choice, not Dallas.

Where has the US hosted an Olympics other than Atlanta or LA? St. Louis? Come on. Bidding culture is a little different now in 1904 - and back then, St. Louis was Dubai, the next great world city.

The IOC are a pretentious bunch of royal twats. They love cosmopolitan metropoles or scenic locales; they look for the kind of host that would make the cover spread in Travel + Leisure. They've dropped endless hints they would love to see an SF Olympiad. It's an open secret they hated Atlanta. I can't ever see them going for Dallas, no matter what minor points can be marshaled in its favor - and "it'll inspire transit in the US south" isn't the greatest one. Also, don't forget most of these people are European, and they still associate Texas with Bush and everything poisonously unilateralist about the US - not exactly the best memory to pair with the Olympic ideal of international comingling.

On the other hand, I can see Philly maybe having the history, scenery, and story - the need and clear potential for a "Barcelona effect" - to sway them. The potential of a Philly bid might even be what would knock out Boston; you're right that hosting here might be too safe, leave too little of a legacy (though, horrifically cynical as it may be, portraying this as a "comeback" from the bombings of the marathon - a sporting event - might work in Boston's favor). In any case, that's to say nothing of the NIMBYs eventually sinking the bid, somehow, before things even get nearly that far.

Back