Boston 2024

According to the Wikipedia page for the bid, they want to hold the canoe and kayak events all the way out in Deerfield and Westfield. It seems weird to host an event 2 hours away from Boston in places with virtually no transit access, does anyone have more info on that?

The comments by others are certainly correct, about the politics of the matter - spread the joy around MA to keep legislators on board.

However, in the context of prior Olympics, it's not so unusual. Sailing in 1972 was held in Kiel, 500 miles from Munich. Not hard to see why. 2012's sailing events were over 100 miles away, despite London being a great seaport. Too great a seaport, actually, to be handling the sort of course the Olympics lays out.

Other Olympics have also had some venues spread around.

The Charles is deemed too windy and has too many bridges for Olympics crew. I find that a real bummer, I like seeing the pile-ups at the bridges during head of the Charles. But they don't consult me (ahem!). So that's going to either Lake Quinsigamond or the Merrimac. And so on. A few outliers are par for the course.

And then, looping back to politics, the road to this Olympics bid runs through Beacon Hill, not City Hall. They may have no choice but to spread the love around, like it or not.

According to the Wikipedia page for the bid, they want to hold the canoe and kayak events all the way out in Deerfield and Westfield. It seems weird to host an event 2 hours away from Boston in places with virtually no transit access, does anyone have more info on that?

They don't have space in Boston.

The canoe and kayak courses are manufactured facilities, not natural ones. You need to store a large volume of water, and release it at a prescribed, constant flow rate.

Brazil
2014.07-deodoro-licitacao-regiao-norte-deodoro-tender-north-zone-deodoro-licitacion-de-la-region-norte.jpg

Hydraulic testing of the Brazil course in the Czech republic.

canoe2.jpg

The cost should run between $75 and $100 million.

They don't have space in Boston.

The canoe and kayak courses are manufactured facilities, not natural ones. You need to store a large volume of water, and release it at a prescribed, constant flow rate.

You're right, but either Boston 2024 doesn't realize that or they have some plan to get around it, because the venue plan specifically said "Deerfield River." Even if they meant a geographic location and not the river itself, I don't think there's some open field out there that everyone knows about and would get the reference. Frankly, I don't think they thought about this event very hard.

When I was placing venues, I looked at abandoned airfields and other locations with large vacant lots. Wachusett Mountain would be a good host on one of their auxiliary parking lots (and they get to use it afterwards as a summer attraction). You could also build at Devens or South Weymouth. If Somerville gives them pushback on the BMX course (and they will), BMX and Whitewater seem like a good pair out on the periphery, though I get that they'll want an X Games vibe for BMX and that implies and urban location.

512x.jpg

This gives some idea of the volume of water that is released.

At Atlanta, they diverted a river to create the volume. However, the river is now so dry that the course can't be used. Atlanta remains the only 'natural' course (through the 2020 Olympics).

The Deerfield has its flows artificially managed by dams. Theoretically for an event, the hydro company could release a predetermined flow. I think the Westfield is similar. also, in the midwest, some communities are removing old dams and replacing them with carefully constructed "whitewater parks" where placed vanes and deflectors produce standing waves and other elements.

By the way, the Deerfield has a website where releases are documented and announced for paddlers.

Boris Johnson is coming to Faneuil Hall to pimp the Olympics.

Greetings!

You are invited to join Boston 2024 for a special event in Boston on Monday, February 9th featuring Boris Johnson, Mayor of London. Mayor Johnson was instrumental in ensuring the success of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games and promoting its continued legacy within London and across the United Kingdom.

Mayor Johnson will join John Fish, Chairman of Boston 2024, and John Barros, Chief of Economic Development for the City of Boston, for a fireside chat moderated by NECN's Jim Braude beginning at 5:30pm at Faneuil Hall. Please see the invitation below for additional details.

This event is open to the public, but a valid ticket and registration must be presented to enter the event. To register and receive a ticket, please RSVP here: borisinboston.eventbrite.com.

Hope to see you there!

The Boston 2024 Team

The Deerfield has its flows artificially managed by dams. Theoretically for an event, the hydro company could release a predetermined flow. I think the Westfield is similar. also, in the midwest, some communities are removing old dams and replacing them with carefully constructed "whitewater parks" where placed vanes and deflectors produce standing waves and other elements.

By the way, the Deerfield has a website where releases are documented and announced for paddlers.

I very much doubt the Army Corps of Engineers would ever permit a slalom course to be built IN either the Deerfield or Westfield rivers. What Atlanta did was divert an existing river into a course apparently crafted out of the local landscape. Atlanta avoided having to build a closed-loop circulation system. The Atlanta course likely created what would be a new, temporary navigable waterway, and thus, Atlanta didn't need a permit.

(Under the Clean Water Act of 1972, before any structure can be built in the navigable waters of the U.S., a Section 404 permit is required.)

The slalom course has to be a minimum of 400 meters, with a large warm-up pool near the start, and another pool at the end, where competitors can get out of their kayaks/canoes.

Plus about 400-500 meters of spectator seating along the course.

What one could do, in theory, is construct a slalom course om conjunction with a pumped storage facility (which generates electricity). That costs more of course, but perhaps an electric power company might pay for a major part of it.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...for-lodging/xbIHU1zgl1pPCVPMGDqhsK/story.html

Student Apartments too shitty to use for housing spectators.

Organizers of Boston’s Olympic bid are scrapping plans to house thousands of international spectators in the city’s notoriously shoddy off-campus student apartments after the proposal provoked an outcry from landlord and tenant groups.

While officials from Boston 2024, the local Olympic organizing group, have said all aspects of their plan are open to change, their reversal marks the first time they have publicly axed a portion of the proposal.

Boston 2024 initially told the United States Olympic Committee that off-campus student apartments in Allston, Brighton, and the Fenway would make for ideal accommodations for spectators coming from around the world to watch the 2024 Summer Games.

Boston 2024’s bid documents called for shortening leases from 12 to nine months for those apartments, freeing them up for the summer for international visitors.

College students typically leave during the summer anyway, the documents said, and “regulations would then be in place to support reasonable rates” for foreign spectators in those units. As envisioned, a private company would manage the rental operation, connecting local landlords with spectators overseas.

But after Boston 2024 publicized its plans on its website late last month, tenant and landlord advocates were alarmed. Atlanta had enlisted homeowners to rent their houses to spectators during the 1996 Summer Olympics, but activists in Boston expressed concern that the committee’s proposal to use rental units for spectators could encourage landlords to clear out families and older residents during the Olympics, not just college students.
“It’s one thing for me to rent my owner-occupied house, knowing I can come back to it,” said Carol Ridge-Martinez, executive director of the Allston Brighton Community Development Corporation. “It’s another thing to be a tenant and not have any control over it. You could be talking about serious displacement if you don’t manage this correctly.”

‘It’s not something that will be contemplated or considered at all as either necessary or desirable.’
Doug Arnot, US Olympic Committee adviser, on using student apartments

The plan to limit rental rates might not even be legal, tenant and landlord groups said. Massachusetts voters banned rent control in 1994, under a statewide referendum.

Asked to respond to those concerns, Boston 2024 officials said they would abandon the plan when they submit their bid in 2017 for the international phase of the host-city competition. With about 52,000 hotel rooms in the Boston area and 37,543 college dorm beds in the city, local Olympic organizers said they now believe they will not need additional housing.
“Boston 2024 included an option in the concepts presented to the USOC of using some of the underutilized rental student housing in the summer for spectator housing,” said Erin Murphy, executive vice president of Boston 2024. “After conversations with the USOC, we are confident that there are more than enough accommodations for spectators in the region, and we will not be pursuing it further.”

Doug Arnot, a USOC adviser who is helping Boston 2024, said the rental-housing proposal was not a factor in the committee's decision to crown Boston the American nominee to host Olympics, over competing bids from San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Washington.

“I don’t know where it came from,” he said of the plan, “but it’s not something that will be contemplated or considered at all as either necessary or desirable.”
Boston 2024’s reversal underscores that the bid that they used to win the USOC’s blessing in December was, in some areas, loosely sketched.
Last month the Globe reported that vendors at New Boston Food Market off Interstate 93, where Boston 2024 is proposing the main Olympic stadium, said they had not been contacted by the group and do not want to move, even through Boston 2024 claimed in its bid documents to have “engaged all owners” of the land where Olympic venues would be built.

In its housing plan, Boston 2024’s bid documents also appeared to overstate the number of off-campus apartments that would have been available for spectators. The documents said approximately 100,000 students live in privately owned rental units in the city, but the city’s last official tally in 2013 found about 36,000 students living in 13,380 off-campus rental apartments.
Housing advocates questioned whether spectators flying from Germany or Brazil would even want to live in student apartments. A Globe Spotlight investigation last year found many of the biggest landlords of those units routinely violated critical safety codes.

“Even if it is up to code, the housing quality standards are minimum, so I find it hard to believe spectators from across the world would want to live there if they came here for the Olympics,” Ridge-Martinez said. “It just seems to me that would be problematic, at best.”

Kathy Brown, coordinator of the Boston Tenant Coalition, questioned why regulations to hold down rents, if legal, should be limited to international visitors.

“If they can do some restrictions for spectators, let’s see about some protections for hard-working Bostonians, as well,” she said.
Skip Schloming, executive director of the Small Property Owners Association, which sponsored the 1994 referendum banning rent control, said his group strongly opposed Boston 2024’s plan. He said it would be unfair to let hotels, restaurants, and other businesses charge market rates to spectators during the Olympics but limit the rents that landlords can charge.

“This is just picking out the landlords to put the burden on them, and they’re the only ones,” he said. “We have to make a stink about this.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...hsK/story.html

Student Apartments too shitty to use for housing spectators.

I'm surprised they were even allowed to get away with that in the USOC proposal, but I guess the USOC doesn't know how absolutely awful the student slums are in the city.

Also I agree with the Small Property Owners Association, the city should not impose ad-hoc rent control during these games.

The city needs to get its act together and figure out how it's going to build new housing not creatively re-purpose existing housing.

This week has been very bad (politically) for the bid. Everything could be different in a few months, but anecdotally-speaking most people I'd spoken to who tacitly supported the Olympics before have switched to being firmly against.

This week has been very bad (politically) for the bid. Everything could be different in a few months, but anecdotally-speaking most people I'd spoken to who tacitly supported the Olympics before have switched to being firmly against.

What else do you think has gone bad politically for them this week? I kind of think all of the annoyance at the T and roads etc. has been good - these are problems we have because we always kick the can down the road. If we have a firm deadline, we can't keep kicking the can.

Not that they have to give a reason, but did they give a reason for their change?

Not that they have to give a reason, but did they give a reason for their change?

That the state/city/transit clearly don't have their acts together to get everything ready in 9 years.

Obviously it's just frustration over the mountains of snow, but I think that people are seeing the decades of under-investment in infrastructure and are thinking that the state won't get things fixed in time for the Olympics.

That the state/city/transit clearly don't have their acts together to get everything ready in 9 years.

Obviously it's just frustration over the mountains of snow, but I think that people are seeing the decades of under-investment in infrastructure and are thinking that the state won't get things fixed in time for the Olympics.

...And opposing the Olympics is a wonderful way to guarantee that these things will keep happening. The lack of vision that underpins the underfunded MBTA is the same lack of vision that leads people to oppose a Summer Olympics because the T broke in a February blizzard.

The good news is we probably won't have a record breaking snow storm during the summer games.

...And opposing the Olympics is a wonderful way to guarantee that these things will keep happening. The lack of vision that underpins the underfunded MBTA is the same lack of vision that leads people to oppose a Summer Olympics because the T broke in a February blizzard.

It may not be logical, but it's a gut feeling people are increasingly having. Boston 2024 needs to sell the shit out of this to change minds. Just because they might be wrong doesn't mean that they can be blown off.

Potential stupid question here, but I honestly don't know:

Where is the money for the many necessary fixes, expansions, and upgrades to the T for the Olympics coming from?

Baker just announced a $40m CUT in transportation spending, the same week we saw the largest widespread failures of the T due to deferred maintenance. We have politicians promising us "no new taxes" and "no public money will be spent" and whatnot. The MBTA is $Billions in debt with no good, dedicated funding source. It's pretty clear that there are major financial hurdles that the MBTA is facing. If Boston is given the Olympics, where does the money for the MBTA come from? Or, alternatively, if there is no money, will Boston's "walking" Olympics ignore transit upgrades?

Potential stupid question here, but I honestly don't know:

Where is the money for the many necessary fixes, expansions, and upgrades to the T for the Olympics coming from?

Baker just announced a $40m CUT in transportation spending, the same week we saw the largest widespread failures of the T due to deferred maintenance. We have politicians promising us "no new taxes" and "no public money will be spent" and whatnot. The MBTA is $Billions in debt with no good, dedicated funding source. It's pretty clear that there are major financial hurdles that the MBTA is facing. If Boston is given the Olympics, where does the money for the MBTA come from? Or, alternatively, if there is no money, will Boston's "walking" Olympics ignore transit upgrades?

I think the hope is that the Feds step up to some degree, which I think is wishful thinking so soon after the Big Dig... we're gonna be in the Federal spending dog house for awhile. Another option would be to fast track several long term MBTA capital expenditure projects that are planned over a 20 year period with the plan to significantly reduce the MBTA CapEx budget after the build out is complete.

So yea, I have no idea. Those are ideas that I have floating in my head.

This week has shown that this city is not up to minimum standards in many ways. One way to look at the olympics is as an opportunity to get things in order, the other is to see it as a wasted effort.

I have seen both opinions these past days.

Back