Boston College Master Plan

Has BC decided to go largely with brick in the lower campus area while stone in the upper campus where the older collegiate gothic buildings reside?

Great thread, as a BC grad from 20+ years ago it’s cool to see updates. The campus is even more beautiful now than it was when I was there.
Has BC decided to go largely with brick in the lower campus area while stone in the upper campus where the older collegiate gothic buildings reside?
Certainly appears that way. Full collegiate gothic in the middle campus which is the core of the college, its academic buildings which are meant to last. I’d expect the Schiller Institute to be as collegiate gothic as possible given its purpose (looking more like Higgins than Stokes). Sand colored brick with some stone on lower campus for the not-so-permanent and prestigious buildings while still looking nice (residence halls, etc.). I’d guess Brighton Campus would continue that when the day comes something new is built there. And I’d expect any additions to upper campus would remain Tudor style.

^Last I heard they were going to land bank it as mostly a new open space/green. But that could have changed.
Back in the approved master plan from a decade ago, that spot was slated for the student center that’s been awaited for the last 45+ years.

This article says the student center is still the long term plan, but they’re not doing it yet because they’re focusing on the Schiller Institute (I.e. not enough money/liquidity to do both at the same time, and the academic project is a higher priority). This green space is temporary.
Linked article here.

I’m actually a little conflicted about that. The student center is still needed for indoor entertainment purposes even if technology has lessened the need for other purposes (club meeting space in other buildings can be booked online, large bookstore and other retail no longer needed with online shopping, etc.). But the green space in that part of campus is refreshing, is centrally located so will get heavy student usage, and can double up as conveniently located tailgating space. Maybe when the day finally comes that the mods are torn down, a portion can be used for permanent green space.

Back in the approved master plan from a decade ago, that spot was slated for the student center that’s been awaited for the last 45+ years.

This article says the student center is still the long term plan, but they’re not doing it yet because they’re focusing on the Schiller Institute (I.e. not enough money/liquidity to do both at the same time, and the academic project is a higher priority). This green space is temporary.
Linked article here.

I’m actually a little conflicted about that. The student center is still needed for indoor entertainment purposes even if technology has lessened the need for other purposes (club meeting space in other buildings can be booked online, large bookstore and other retail no longer needed with online shopping, etc.). But the green space in that part of campus is refreshing, is centrally located so will get heavy student usage, and can double up as conveniently located tailgating space. Maybe when the day finally comes that the mods are torn down, a portion can be used for permanent green space.
I remember when the mods were built in the early 1970's as "temporary" housing.

Long time no updates. Anybody have recent progress on doings at BC?

Yesterday I ran across a "study" rendition for a gothic façade on O'Neill Library by David M Owens, architect. This will only cover the side facing Gasson. I guess the rest will remain as is. I don't have the link but if you google his name with O'Neill Library it should come up. But...what about the rest of the building?! Also, I have seen no announcement of the plan yet. Maybe they are just mulling it over.

Would anybody like to comment on this...?

Lemme get this straight: You're posting about something you'd like to discuss but are not going to be providing any links - - and you are telling us to Google it to find the info so that you can hear our opinions on this thing you want to discuss???

I'm too old a dog to play fetch. Did I miss your meaning there?

Last edited:
Sorry, I am having a heck of a time trying to create a link from that webpage. Got any suggestions?

Sorry, I am having a heck of a time trying to create a link from that webpage. Got any suggestions?

Copy the webpage’s address from the address bar then paste it in your post so that we could click on it?

Here: https://www.dmowens.com/oneill-library-facade-study/wrsl5awk0b91vd6y1w87dnk4beo9uc

20170920_BC_high+arch+clean+ground+9.7.jpg

Long time no updates. Anybody have recent progress on doings at BC?

Yesterday I ran across a "study" rendition for a gothic façade on O'Neill Library by David M Owens, architect. This will only cover the side facing Gasson. I guess the rest will remain as is. I don't have the link but if you google his name with O'Neill Library it should come up. But...what about the rest of the building?! Also, I have seen no announcement of the plan yet. Maybe they are just mulling it over.
Based on this presentation of 18 months ago, there are no plans to actually re-face O'Neill. Indeed, it seems, BC is slowing new major construction on campus. May have something to do with BC's $1.3 billion in long-term debt.

The brutalism is nice relief from the adjacent neo-gothic academic buildings. The O’Neill Library is typically the building I stop to appreciate when walking through the BC campus.

Last edited:
What is it about the "brutalism" (apparently it is actually in the 'International Style', but, yes, it does look 'brutal' to me) of O'Neill that you Like?

Back