Boston done in Sim City 4!

The above screenshot looks like Karl-Marx Allee in Berlin

Hahahaha, I originally was going to post this, but ran out of time cause I had to leave for work. Great minds think alike.

Radial roads...

843014_10151438645294866_1587646974_o.jpg

Cool feature. But I guess they've reverted back to annoying patches of grass between buildings and non-perpendicular roads?

Looks like it. In which case they've only half solved the problem of breaking free from the grid.

I know I've defended SC5 in the past in regards to it being for a "changing demographic," but my opinion has shifted after playing through the betas.

This should have been branded as the SimTown redux with some of the city elements removed and a focus on building the best damn suburbia you could ever build, complete with mega malls. The demographic this is geared to would eat it up. The name carries some mediocre baggage with it though, as SimTown really didn't deliver. SimCity should have remained an urban planning, zoning and infrastructure based franchise with less bells and whistles from a town standpoint.

What is up with the weird setbacks and open spaces and parking lots around every "urban" building? So much for building continuous streetwalls. This city is supposed to be "thriving" but in reality its street level would be as patchwork as downtown Buffalo or Detroit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfC4JOuUkI8

I don't know whether to laugh or cry....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERzDc-waUi0

I never liked the cross over into the Sims franchise in 4. I could care less what they were doing or if they were happy. All I wanted to do was build cool cities and regions. Hell, I never liked the disaster feature either. It seems like they are pushing more of this crossover, and maybe that cross over has cuased them to ruin the transportation aspects. I'd like to know if they have internal data that suggests that this what the players want or if it was purely a management decision. I would think that the hard core players, the loyalists who go back to the original, were attracted to the Sim City franchise to build cities. The Sims are an entirely different genre in my opinion and have no place here. Hopefully you can shut them off.

The hardcore Sim City fans who were only interested in building cities either weren't enough for a profit or for enough profit for EA's liking.

I'm not so disturbed by the more game-like sets. Maxis always released tie-in games like this (see "Streets of Sim City").

enough profit for EA's liking

It's likely this. EA is this most destructive piece-of-shit developer in the gaming industry. I'd suspect that behind the scenes, EA is beating Maxis over the head to conform to their liking.

Alright fuggit, I'm giving in and getting Rush Hour....that should get me another 10 years out of SC4.

For all of you SC4 worshippers, Maxis has you covered:

Celebrate the 10th anniversary of SimCity 4 by tuning into our retrospective live broadcast Thursday, February 21st at 10am PST (1800 GMT/1900 CET/0300 EAT). RSVP here: http://on.fb.me/14OJeW9

Click LIKE if you're planning to attend.

531637_10151453690824866_910701816_n.png

I'm amazed that despite all the Sim City fans out there a viable free alternative has not appeared. I can't believe Transport Tycoon is more popular than Sim City, enough so that it has an incredible free implementation?

Back