Boston done in Sim City 4!

Interesting a classic like these songs are in the game....

[youtube]Xl29JDG7kss[/youtube]

Meanwhile, this article was linked to from the main page of Yahoo:

screenshot20130308at733.png

The CNET editor went on to say, "I had planned on reviewing the game for launch -- and I'm not joking here -- I've yet to been able to even play the game. Once."

Link

We brought together some of the most interesting urban thinkers to play the new version of the city planning game to see who would make the best fake metropolis. But building a sustainable city from the ground up is harder than it looks.

So I take it none of them were able to log into the game yet?

Using The New Sim City, 6 Urban Planners Battle For Bragging Rights, by John McDermott, Fast Co.

Link.

I wish they had shown better shots of Studio Gang's city. I really want to see how they approached the challenge.

I did a lot of trolling on FaceBook about how EA was strangling the Sim City name and going to beat it to a pulp and drag it through the mud. So many people rushed to defend the new Sim City. And I just can't help but wonder how they would all feel now, wallowing in their tears, and they can't even get a refund. I'm betting that a lot of major problems from the Beta aren't even fixed.

EA is the worst thing to ever happen. I probably wouldn't even buy Sim City 5 if it truly were as good or better than Sim City 4. Other than my recent repurchase of Sim City 4, I'm never letting them get any of my money ever again. They're just terrible, evil people.

SC4 + Rush Hour +Network Addon Mod = best city simulation ever.

That and Transport Tycoon Deluxe with the TTDPatch + addons or OpenTTD = best transportation game ever.

Impressive Map Editor for Cities Skylines

[youtube]SB73-h1vHCM[/youtube]

Anyone made/found a good Boston map to work with in CS? I'm thinking about making or using a somewhat functioning "Boston" as my next city, and was curious what others had already done.

If you havent checked it out already, then I really recommend you do. Definitely a worthy successor to Sim City 4, and is way more approachable/enjoyable than Cities in Motion.

I found one that was okay but without being able to build tunnels if was really difficult to get the street layout to work and be at all similar.

Time to resurrect this ancient thread?

So I still dabble in Sim City 4 because to my eyes it's still the best blend of planning, transit and architecture (Cities: Skylines has great planning and infrastructure but the buildings are uniformly bleh) and once in a while I'll recreate real places. And now that I'm a real estate photographer, I'm shooting homes all over the place--basically anywhere inside 495--and am frequently in Arlington, a place that IMO strikes a pleasing balance between city, suburb and town.

Thus I'm gonna make Arlington in SC4. I know you want to nitpick, so by all means get as nerdy and nitpicky as you want :p

51813820343_036c5d7d2b_k.jpg

It's probably self-explanatory but there's Route 2 and Alewife at the bottom, with Spy Pond above it and the Mass Ave corridor starting to develop. I loaded up East Arlington with medium density so I can get the population and tax rolls up so I can unlock more rewards. Almost everything out west will be low density so I have to cram in some bigger buildings somewhere!

51812755847_9f075c9d5f_k.jpg

God bless all those teens and twenties single family homes, amirite?!

51812755877_11aa5709ef_k.jpg

(Cities: Skylines has great planning and infrastructure but the buildings are uniformly bleh)
Cities Skylines can be absolutely amazing with great buildings and detail... If you a) mod it within an inch of it's life b) have the DLCs and c) have a computer powerful enough to handle all of that. The steam workshop has some amazing assets and mods.

For example, this is the Customs House Tower.
There's some creators who put obscene amounts of time and detail into their buildings and mods. For more examples, see This one, this one, and this one. Some players manage to do rediculous (example 1, example 2) things with it- and some have even modeled assets of the Green Line and the Commuter Rail. (Admittedly, not as well as say NYMTA assets but still.) To me, Cities Skylines is a lot more powerful than SimCity.

^ I don't disagree with you one iota, but the more time goes on and the more Cities: Skylines still struggles with the architectural stuff, the more I appreciate the lovingly detailed quasi pixel art of SC4 or even SC3000. Those mod examples you give are nice, but still don't approach the almost handcrafted quality of the building models in that underpowered 18 year old game. Just my personal preference!

I liked this back in the day. How would a Gen X level tech savy person go about playing it these days?

Back