Boston in the Seventies

I see talk of "real" cities. I see talk of a number of criteria that make a city. I question it.

While we can say that Boston may be better off than it was in the 70's, on a number of levels, It has also lost a sense of self.

There are any number of pros and cons in the last 30 odd years. For me what makes a city it's own color, and life.

I enjoy walking the Common at night without fear, or a knife. I don't like busses with Bacardi banners in vinyl on them, or rubberstamp architecture.

The greenway is a plus. that facades are being incorporated into towers is a plus also, from my perspective.

I am into towers, but not just to have towers. I like things to work in the context of a neighborhood, or the skyline, or sometimes just to fit an aesthetic.

There is a vibrance, a pulse, even a poignance. There is a line on what to leave, what to take, and what to build on. That is often lost, sometimes ignored, and generally paid little more than lip service to in our city.

Hotels are nice, but dives have life. While that may sound callous, or naive, it is a broad brush stroke. Boston needs to consider Bostonians. It needs a reason to go in town, to keep the streets alive.

Please excuse the tangent. But 70's had people on the street after 8. Not Cabs waiting for fares to where something is actually happening.

A few more Boston pics from the Seventies?

6000.jpg

6001.jpg

6002.jpg

6003.jpg

6004.jpg

6005.jpg

6006.jpg

6007.jpg

6008.jpg

6008a.jpg

6009.jpg

6010.jpg

6011.jpg

6012.jpg

6013.jpg

6014.jpg

6015.jpg

6016.jpg

6017.jpg

Crisp.

6018.jpg

6019.jpg

6021.jpg

6022.jpg

6023.jpg

6024.jpg

6025.jpg

6026.jpg

6027.jpg

6028.jpg

ablarc,

I notice you were all around the ATT/New England Telephone building, but have no pictures of it.

Not a fan I assume?

I liked it better before they squared off the top to conceal the added mechanical equipment up there. It could also use an added ten stories or so.

Is Bell's reconstructed lab still in the lobby?

Is that the Fidelity building in so many of those pics? Your either extremely studied or borderline idiotic if you like that building... I'm not sure which. IMO it ruins the entire area when you walk up to it, and should be blown up and built into something elegant. Hideous is not strong enough.

That location is worthy or something provocative and timely or something tall w/ a small footprint... the location is just too great for this, maybe it would have worked elsewhere.... or maybe the other buildings around it should be architectually or physically stronger and then it'd be alright. Either way, god its bad, very bad.

Is Bell's reconstructed lab still in the lobby?

Yeah, it's still there along with the recently restored giant mural in the lobby.

It will be interesting to see what happens to those two things after Verizon moves out.

I used to work in that fidelity building. during the bubble it was happenin'

^ All that glass ... did it make you feel cold in the wintertime?

I lived in Santa Fe for 15 years. It's a great pace to walk and to live for that matter, but you really could not live there without a car. It really is very small and isolated (60 miles from Albuquerque which isn't much of a city, and 400 from Denver). At 121,593 sq mi, New Mexico is the fifth biggest state in the US. It only has 2 million inhabitants making wilderness and natural beauty among the strongest draws in the Santa Fe area and State in general.

Of the large cities, your list is probably pretty accurate IMO.

In the seventies ... the "world-class" city moniker touted by White ... and even the establishment of the "adult entertainment district (combat zone), all made Boston a popular destination day and night.
Another piece of lost Bostonia some might choose to bemoan was the Combat Zone. This was the raunchiest, most Rabelaisian sin district you could possibly dream up this side of Thailand.

It left Times Square in the dust because it was so pure, so undiluted, so explicit, so single-mindedly devoted to the pursuit of smut --and you could have booze with your full helping. It rollicked nightly after eight, drawing thrill-seekers from distant suburbs and from the corners of the globe. It was sleazy, but the sleaze was world class, and for many it put Boston on the map.

If you observed the etiquette it was safe ?-well-patrolled by watchful cops? but if you didn?t you could end up, like the Harvard football hero, with a stiletto in the ribs. Obnoxiousness not allowed.

At its height it had animated neon signs that you simply would not believe, touting the pleasures available within. The Naked Eye, for example featured out on the street in animated red neon an anatomically correct naked bimbo spreading and folding with ? in the crucial place on her anatomy, you guessed it ? an eye! The Naked Eye was internally connected to the Pussy Galore Stag Bar. Both places were full of Chinese folks; no wonder their wives wanted the Zone to die.

This is the only sad picture I could find, long after its heyday, in the slush:

0307.jpg

Urine, vomit, panderers, panhandlers, pimps, the p'o'lice, every horrible stench one could imagine wafted through the district. I always felt terrible for the few truly beautiful women who worked in the area. Every bit of the worst of humanity, criminals, mobsters, fiends, fraternity assholes, crooked cops, politicians, filthy hobos, pimps, 'club' owners, was there to wring the life out of the fallen angels for their own vile profit and pleasures.

Only my Norwegian stripper friend, who went to Suffolk Law and eventually introduced me to my wife at Harvard Law, along with copious amounts of cheap alcohol made it tolerable.

Another piece of lost Bostonia some might choose to bemoan was the Combat Zone. This was the raunchiest, most Rabelaisian sin district you could possibly dream up this side of Thailand.

It left Times Square in the dust because it was so pure, so undiluted, so explicit, so single-mindedly devoted to the pursuit of smut --and you could have booze with your full helping. It rollicked nightly after eight, drawing thrill-seekers from distant suburbs and from the corners of the globe. It was sleazy, but the sleaze was world class, and for many it put Boston on the map.

If you observed the etiquette it was safe ?-well-patrolled by watchful cops? but if you didn?t you could end up, like the Harvard football hero, with a stiletto in the ribs. Obnoxiousness not allowed.

At its height it had animated neon signs that you simply would not believe, touting the pleasures available within. The Naked Eye, for example featured out on the street in animated red neon an anatomically correct naked bimbo spreading and folding with ? in the crucial place on her anatomy, you guessed it ? an eye! The Naked Eye was internally connected to the Pussy Galore Stag Bar. Both places were full of Chinese folks; no wonder their wives wanted the Zone to die.

This is the only sad picture I could find, long after its heyday, in the slush:

0307.jpg
I miss the zone!
xx1tennesee178.jpg

I always thought they did a real hack job renovating the Liberty Tree Building (a.k.a. RMV). Crap plate windows, missing lintels and pediments, etc. etc.

I wore my Liberty Book II shirt on vacation. It's a real conversation piece.

Maurie Bergmeyer didn't have enough of a budget to really fix the Liberty Tree Building. The state welfare offices and the RMV's location to the corner of Essex and Washington was a halfhearted stab at trying to 'clean' the corner. The crackheads in front of the China Trade Building 24/7 show how misguided that idea was.

Urine, vomit, panderers, panhandlers, pimps, the p'o'lice, every horrible stench one could imagine wafted through the district. I always felt terrible for the few truly beautiful women who worked in the area. Every bit of the worst of humanity, criminals, mobsters, fiends, fraternity assholes, crooked cops, politicians, filthy hobos, pimps, 'club' owners, was there to wring the life out of the fallen angels for their own vile profit and pleasures.

Only my Norwegian stripper friend, who went to Suffolk Law and eventually introduced me to my wife at Harvard Law, along with copious amounts of cheap alcohol made it tolerable.
See? World class.

(Norwegian law student/stripper ... sheesh!)

Back