Boston in the Seventies

Some folks would call Central Square in Cambridge another example of 'good grit', although I find the aggressive panhandling there to be off-putting.

I'd put Central Square firmly in the "good grit" category. Somehow, over the years it's managed to more or less hold on to its character. I was just thinking recently on my walk home how the pounding of the drums in the Dance Complex is such a welcoming neighborhood rhythm. Beautiful building, too!

It probably is, but to some, it doesn't feel (or look) safe.

At 80, my grandmother frequented Downtown Crossing (ca. 1985); at 75, my mom won't go there alone, day or night.

It doesn't help any that most all of the retail places there close at around 6 or 7. The area has definitely improved much over the years (I remember ca. 1990 that I'd walk those streets with much caution), but its identity is still largely daytime oriented (towards tourists and the Financial District), except for a few nightspots and restaurants. The addition of more residential, theater, and retail property may yet make it a more welcoming place to walk through in the evening.

That's true, Ron. Problem is, these retailers bookend the district. The middle is a bit sparse. Getting a tenant in the former Barnes & Nobel location is critical.

Downtown Crossing is never gonna look like Chicago's Magnificent Mile (nor does it need to). Until the Filene's tower is up, it's gonna be pretty grim.

^ Downtown's more like the Loop --which is also in a spot of trouble (the same kind of trouble).

I was at the MFA on Tuesday night for an employee recognition event. One of the museum's employees, a guard, I think, is Roswell Angiers, a photographer.

He published a book a couple years back about Boston's Combat Zone. [ED: that's what they said at the presentation, but it looks as though the book was called "Photography in Boston: 1955-1985".]

Here's one of those photos. If you want to see more, check out the Glitterman Gallery website.

thanks ^ you have to dig abit to see the combat zone pictures,well worth it though,Is there a picture book out there on the Boston Combat Zone?

SUNDAY MORNING IN THE SEVENTIES

0050.jpg

0105.jpg

0125.jpg

0150.jpg

0180.jpg

0190.jpg

0200.jpg

0260.jpg

0270.jpg

0280.jpg

Here ya go, Statler. See where the stone changes color near the top? That's where they started adding to the building. Robbed it of its full measure of taper.

0281.jpg

0290.jpg

0300.jpg

0310.jpg

0320.jpg

0330.jpg

0340.jpg

0350.jpg

0364.jpg

0366.jpg

0373.jpg

0374.jpg

0375.jpg

0376.jpg

0378.jpg

0380.jpg

0390.jpg

Then.

0392.jpg

Now. Thanks to whoever on archBoston took this photo.

0393.jpg

0394.jpg

0395.jpg

0396.jpg

0397.jpg

WHERE THEIR HEADS WERE AT IN THE BRA

0400.jpg

Then and Now.

0425.jpg

Before.

Thinking that went into transforming West End into Charles River Park:

0500.jpg

0510.jpg

0600.jpg

0650.jpg

0675.jpg

0700.jpg

0750.jpg

0880.jpg

In charge.

0900.jpg

0910.jpg

Urbanity with space?

0920.jpg

Urbanity with space? Scientific urbanism? But the scientist has drawn New York?s grid wrong.

0930.jpg

0935.jpg

Replacing Paris with spacious urbanity. (Sorry, van.)

0937.jpg

0940.jpg

0950.jpg

0999.jpg

ablarc, thats amazing. It makes me wish I were born earlier.

Thank heavens we didn't end up with those towers...that looks like something out of a utopian horror novel.

Thanks ablarc! Kennedy, what amazes me is how little changed things are in these areas. Yes, the retailers are different, but the buildings are much the same. Wander around Liberty Sq. and Broad St. and you'll see what I mean! (I wish I could visit the old Brandy Pete's!)

In my defense I meant space in terms of apartment size, not lot size. However I did not say that.

I can't say that I've been off of the main thoroughfares too much, so many of the buildings I don't recognize specifically, only by the area, but if you say so then, why don't we save more of them and make them all landmarks?

I've seen them, it was so surreal. I really didn't believe what I was seeing. By any chance, do they also call them the Tent Cities, or are we thinking of two different animals?

Good ones from LeCorbusier, Ablarc.

This one apparently inspired the RKG:

0600.jpg

And this one, the North Point development:

0700.jpg

^ Yeah, but the lazy bastards left out the airplanes landing among the buildings.

Back