Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

Millrose brought in ~9,500 at the last occurrence in Madison Square Garden. If they can hit 10k for spectators in Boston, I would be impressed.

dWash -- back in the days of the ol Gahhhdn -- the BAA meet brought in world class track and field athletes and drew close to a full house

I saw a couple of the meets [BAA indoor games & a competitor the KofC meet] in the early 1970's when I was at MIT and one featured a couple of almost indoor world record performances in the mile and pole vault
RSF46617_15b686a4-ff8b-4f4e-b00d-849b31cde643_grande.jpeg

1966-baa-boston-athletic-association-track-and-field-indoor-games-program_13158276.jpeg

of course the track had to fit onto the Hockey Ice and so it was 11 laps to the mile, banked and cold ;)

dWash -- back in the days of the ol Gahhhdn -- the BAA meet brought in world class track and field athletes and drew close to a full house

I saw a couple of the meets [BAA indoor games & a competitor the KofC meet] in the early 1970's when I was at MIT and one featured a couple of almost indoor world record performances in the mile and pole vault

of course the track had to fit onto the Hockey Ice and so it was 11 laps to the mile, banked and cold ;)

And the Millrose Games used to fill MSG. There's a reason its held at the Armory now. Watching track live isn't nearly as popular now.

When was the last time you went to the New Balance Indoor Grand Prix? World and American records are regularly set there. Did you attend Galen Rupp's series of American records at BU in 2014? Do you think more than a couple thousand people in the Greater Boston Area were even aware that was going on? It is rare for me to talk to someone who has any notion of what is happening outside the Olympics.

And where would NB build a 400 meter track with seating for 10,000? If one slides down the 'Pike and looks at the footprint for Nickerson Field, and widens that footprint, it would seem the only way such a facility would fit at BL would be if NB owned and used the self-storage building on N. Beacon.

It is on the other side of Guest Street, between the Parking Garage/Fitness Center and the residential building.

Poking around the Boston Landing web site, there are some renders I don't recall seeing before (with dates of May 2016 in their urls).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the render is clearly a 200 meter track. And also it's clearly not seating for 10,000. So maybe this has been rejected in favor of some as yet unseen render?

I wonder if the Greek eatery is Saloniki--certainly fits the article description. That's exciting news they're expecting so many restaurants at this development by next summer.

Saloniki is fast casual, but has a fair amount of seating at its Fenway restaurant. I didn't get the sense that it had a focus on takeout. This sounds more along the lines of Zo or similar.

The renders, and the post with the renders, have disappeared. But I agree with Henry Alan, the renders showed a 200 meter track, and certainly not a 400 meter track. There are 300 meter indoor tracks.

Reggie Lerwis at NU is a 200 meter banked track, with a 55 meter sprint track.

^ Those plans are 4+ years old and out of date. Note that they include a hockey rink in the "sports complex" with office buildings fronting the Pike. Now there are dedicated hockey and basketball facilities fronting the pike. Since everything else has changed so much I'm not sure that we can put much stock in those track plans.

^ Those plans are 4+ years old and out of date. Note that they include a hockey rink in the "sports complex" with office buildings fronting the Pike. Now there are dedicated hockey and basketball facilities fronting the pike. Since everything else has changed so much I'm not sure that we can put much stock in those track plans.

Yes, those floorplans have the indoor track atop the hockey rink.

The rendering in the Herald link. is one of those that were deleted.

Back