Boston Landing | New Balance Complex | Brighton

Even if one doesn't want to add more total stops at Boston Landing, you could have the 586 not stop and instead have the 508 stop, so the ones from Natick Center and Closer have three trains that stop and Worcester to Southborough now have two trains that stop. Without digging into details of scheduling on the line, that seems like a decent idea.

Yes thats what Im saying.

Yes thats what Im saying.

As a question for comments from outside Framingham, is it possible to reliably transfer from the Worcester trains to those that stop at Boston Landing?

E.g. ride the 504 to Framingham or West Natick, and there's 8 minutes before the 584 leaves and stops at Boston Landing.

I realize, that's a giant middle finger of a transfer, but I think it is self-evident why they would require the 504 to leave before the 584 so the track is clear for the express to Yawkey shaving off 15 minutes.

CoJKyyB.jpg

I believe New Balance is only occupying space in the "cruise ship" building.

Does anyone think this is an appealing to the eye so to say building. Im glad its there but its look weird to me, hopefully the rest filling around will distract the eye.

^^ It took me seeing office parks in Irvine to make me frown a bit over 1 thing about this project (no i haven't gone totally mad. i don't love Irvine. Although l love the unfinished baseball field a few blocks from University Center).

Back to here; (pardon me also that i'm still confused as to whether or not one of these is supposed to be a 16/17 story residential tower from the render/s. Or is that the hotel space?)

Density IS good. But we're not breaking out. We're stuck in an less than ideal pattern. What if they had done 280' x2 instead of 4 boxes. 33 Harry Agganis is housing, but it loosely fits the model.

Height not about height, or to fuss over who opposes it. But, even if you build one of these 2x as tall; you put in a courtyard where people can toss a frisbee or mess with the soccer ball when they wait for the train. Or just sit on a spacious lawn. You make a place for barbeque and a band for the neighborhood, and the new residents that are coming.

Same thing on the New York Streets. We're doing this same rap. Not breaking the pattern enough. Nobody wants to say how cities continue to allow the nimby's to run the asylum. But the tribe isn't just problem. Planners make mistakes. They've done that here, imo. Go a little higher, like BU. It's dumb.

At the Charlestown/Bunker Hill project, and Dot Block. The aesthetic of rowhouse planning is wonderful. Done right; incredible. But nimby's will naw away 1 or 2 of those 21 story towers, when they should be canceling a block of low-rises for a lawn + Basketball/roller hocky/tennis. Dot Block doesn't have any height whatsoever. Perhaps height would be a mistake there. But it's also a mistake that we're not creating new open space.

Christie Street, NYC; a wonderfully utilized place much of the year. Summer evenings are electric. We can get that and keep the same number of units. We also should be looking at some rooftop recreational space/s.

Sounds extra crazy? So is having less space. Ain't so nuts. They want to do this on the DOT parcels in the Leather District. i'm on my 3rd cup of coffee.

Last edited:
Does anyone think this is an appealing to the eye so to say building. Im glad its there but its look weird to me, hopefully the rest filling around will distract the eye.

I rather enjoy the quirkiness of the "cruise ship" building.

Given this is New Balance, we could easily have gotten the "old woman who lives in a shoe" building, after all. (Mother Goose was a Boston local.)

The cruise ship is fine. i don't love it. but there's an enormous x-factor going on with this property. i just wish they could have figured out some extra open space maybe next to the station.

An A Line subway underneath Brighton and N Beacon, terminating here, would really mark this place on the map.

The cruise ship is fine. i don't love it. but there's an enormous x-factor going on with this property. i just wish they could have figured out some extra open space maybe next to the station.

Does Athletes Park not fit your definition?

6DLKGUH.jpg

I can't see how that wouldn't match his goal. That rendering looks like it could have been taken directly from a UC Irvine brochure. It doesn't get more Irvine than that.

Whatever the final architectural/amenity merits of the NB buildout (I think it will be more good than bad) this and whatever Stop & Shop produces represent a boldness that needs to be repeated all over the region. Congrats to those making this a reality.

Back