Boylston West @ Fenway Triangle (Van Ness) | 1325 Boylston Street | Fenway

Re: Developer plans $300M project for Fenway

I like it. Nothing too crazy but also not your typical pre-cast box.

Here are a few of the renderings:

boylston.jpg

boylston2.jpg

vanness.jpg

Plenty more in the PDF.

I thoroughly enjoyed the PDF at first glance. I'll go back soon and read some of the 800 pages for the details.

The renders do look great. It's got a lot of great character to it and is a breath of fresh air for Boston development. I'm most intrigued about that sprawling park on the roof. I absolutely love it

^Agreed -- there is something very Midtown Miami about these renderings.

I guess we're easily impressed. A tilted roof here, some haphazardly arranged windows there.

Roof trees.....wasnt the claredon supposed to have those?

OK, this project is great. My one complaint is that there is too much parking (575) BUT they eliminate a LOT of curb cuts, and the loading docks are actually hidden inside the building.

They also plan on turning Van Ness into a real street, and not a parking lot access road.

The 3 story building they plan on killing on Brookline isnt a major loss either. And of coruse, the goodyear and gas station (now a car wash) will also be going away.

I presume the anchor tenant is the rumored target?

Also...

"Pedestrian storage space on the sidewalks and observed pedestrian delay appear to be acceptable at crosswalk locations during a typical weekday."

Are they referring to the waiting area as pedestrian storage space? Really?

it's good but a little stumpy. Oh well, this is Boston.

I presume the anchor tenant is the rumored target?

Since Man captured fire and domesticated animals, rumored anchors for new developments have always been Target and Whole Foods. As a Whole Foods is already in Symphony, I guess that makes Target the obvious choice (dear god, make it have a large grocery section with actual produce). I hope a collateral benefit is that Shaws becomes a bit less grungy...

The PNF also includes a totally separate residential building on Brookline Ave and Kilmarnock St.:

132_brookline_ave_1.jpg

132_brookline_ave_2.jpg

I like that the loading dock is inside, that is a nice use of space to avoid the typical dead zones on the sides of buildings.

I will say that the design does feel like a poor man's Jean Nouvel a bit, but that isn't much of a complaint.

Nouvel11thRound.jpg

I guess we're easily impressed. A tilted roof here, some haphazardly arranged windows there.

We are when it's any city other than Boston.

Since Man captured fire and domesticated animals, rumored anchors for new developments have always been Target and Whole Foods. As a Whole Foods is already in Symphony, I guess that makes Target the obvious choice (dear god, make it have a large grocery section with actual produce). I hope a collateral benefit is that Shaws becomes a bit less grungy...
The renderings clearly show the "Target look" too. Glass atrium, red core, couple elevators & escalators. I really can't wait for this building. A Target downtown, especially in this area will be nothing short of awesome.

that residential building is kinda reminiscent to me of the ICA only stretched tall. by bumping out floors a few feet it kind of gives the same "ribbon" feeling the ICA has.

wootz! another reason to avoid the South Bay Target.

Love it. It will be interesting to see what it looks like after the public process...

The anticipated start of construction is the third quarter of 2011.

I always thought the building at the corner of Boylston and Brookline was suppose to be replaced as part of the first project. Is this not the case?

Paul - that's a different block than this project.

Back