Broad Institute Expansion | 75 Ames Street | Cambridge - Kendall Sq

They have an amazing blue lozenge of a canopy now. <shrug>

cca

Is it me, or is Kendall Square getting way more interesting architecture than the Innovation District or Downtown Crossing?

It really needs something like Millennium Hayward Place, right in the square. It's a ghost town after 5pm.

13274830144_bf6c8840d0_b.jpg

13274810454_4397e8144e_b.jpg

13274475453_71dab4d149_b.jpg

13274463063_6decf77dac_b.jpg

13274314315_293f6d7076_b.jpg

13274458233_636cef0e97_b.jpg

13274643794_1b072a937d_b.jpg

13274306455_ce05a7baa2_b.jpg

I really love this building and how it interfaces with the Kendall area. Hats off to Elkus.

Nice pix kz. Thanks as always. =)

I'm really loving the Cambridge skyline nowadays.

Props to them for lighting up the interstitial floor panels!

Ohhhhh, that looks fantastic. I had noticed the lit crown/mechanicals from across the river a week or two ago but those panels are really something.

Meeting concerning 88 Ames Str. residence tower to be held Dec.2.

Last edited:
I like that this is taller, not just for height's sake but because the area is so uniform it takes forever to learn your way around. I wish it was even taller just for wayfinding purposes.

This is not about a new building per se, but about a big bucks donation ($300 million total) to the Broad Institute's endowment.

The Cambridge research center early Thursday announced the creation of the Eric and Wendy Schmidt Center, named for the former Google chief executive and his wife, who are major funders of the effort.

The money comes as biological and medical researchers are unlocking information about the human body at a scale that could take lifetimes to analyze and fully understand without the help of sophisticated artificial intelligence software. The institute hopes that by focusing its resources and expertise on developing and improving these programs, it will be able to spot patterns and unlock some of the basic mysteries of the human body.

An AI technological ecosystem is about to bloom in Cambridge.

The Schmidt Center plans to work with several other organizations on the front line of artificial intelligence and medical research, using data the Broad has collected itself along with material shared by scientists around the world.

Collaborators will include the Broad’s existing connections at Harvard and MIT, along with researchers at the Mayo Clinic; biopharmaceutical companies, including Genentech, AstraZeneca, and Novartis; and major tech firms such as Google and Microsoft.

The list of collaborators is more impressive than what the Globe portrayed.

Based at the Broad Institute’s campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the center hopes to capitalize on the widespread adoption of big data and cloud computing in healthcare R&D alongside parallel advancements in DNA sequencing, single-cell analysis and digital imaging.

The center itself will be co-directed by Caroline Uhler, an associate professor of electrical engineering and computer science at MIT, and Broad’s chief data officer, Anthony Philippakis.

It also plans to gather talent from MIT, Harvard and its teaching hospitals and to partner with the Broad’s established artificial intelligence work, including the Models, Inference & Algorithms Initiative and the Machine Learning for Health effort.

“By connecting clinicians with biotechnologists and data scientists trained in diverse areas—from mathematics to computer science, electrical engineering and computational biology—we can begin to gain unprecedented insights into the biology of cells, tissues and organisms,” Uhler said.

The program will also build upon the Broad’s existing technology partnerships with Bayer, IBM, Intel and Verily and bring in a new set of collaborators, including: Mila, the Quebec AI Institute; the European Laboratory for Learning and Intelligent Systems; the Oxford Big Data Institute; and The Alan Turing Institute—as well as connections with the Mayo Clinic, Geisinger, Genentech, AstraZeneca, Novartis, DeepMind, Google Research and Microsoft.

(The Alan Turing Institute is basically a consortium of the premiere universities in the UK.)

Back