BU bridge

F-Line -- the MIT area between the longfellow and harvard bridges was redone in the pastfew years and its a tremendous improvement

They got rid of some parking (not good overall) -- but widened the pedestrian / passive rec strip between the road and the River front wall

I think that the best next step would be to enourage some year round coffeee shops to open onto the river area down by the Longfelllow and up near to the BU Bridge (abut 10 minute walk apart)

I was referring to the BU Bridge-Mass Ave. portion. The soil and river bank grading are completely gone, and DCR hasn't touched it in the whole 15 years I've been living here. The Charles swallows more than its fair share of road salt and goose shit washout on that stretch with how shot that riverbank is. Plus sidewalks are totally deficient and the joggers have had to wear their own path deep into the riverbank to get by. It's a catastrophe. Needs major remediation work, and I'm surprised DEP has allowed it to persist for so long in this condition amid the overall long-term attention they've been giving to improving the Charles' water quality.

I'd agree the Mass Ave.-Longfellow portion got a ton better with the reconstruction 8 or so years ago. Especially the sidewalk on Mem. Dr. where the road juts out over the water. That used to be a treacherously narrow walk with very little protection from high-speed traffic. Soil's also in much better shape on that stretch without the joggers having to run off-sidewalk any longer.

I was referring to the BU Bridge-Mass Ave. portion. The soil and river bank grading are completely gone, and DCR hasn't touched it in the whole 15 years I've been living here. The Charles swallows more than its fair share of road salt and goose shit washout on that stretch with how shot that riverbank is. Plus sidewalks are totally deficient and the joggers have had to wear their own path deep into the riverbank to get by. It's a catastrophe. Needs major remediation work, and I'm surprised DEP has allowed it to persist for so long in this condition amid the overall long-term attention they've been giving to improving the Charles' water quality.

I'd agree the Mass Ave.-Longfellow portion got a ton better with the reconstruction 8 or so years ago. Especially the sidewalk on Mem. Dr. where the road juts out over the water. That used to be a treacherously narrow walk with very little protection from high-speed traffic. Soil's also in much better shape on that stretch without the joggers having to run off-sidewalk any longer.

FLine -- we're in agreement on that

Another place where there needs to be work is the foot paths around and onto the Longfellow Bridge from the "Cambridge Esplanade"

So all the traffic can be dumped onto Comm Ave and beacon street?

The belief is that added ramps to I-90 will eliminate the need for Storrow Drive for most traffic in that area.

I wish it was separated somehow even if it was just by plastic bollards.

Actually I haven't been over there yet. Maybe tomorrow, especially if this warm weather holds up.

Road striping being done in late December?

By God, the apocalypse really is here.

^The ride vehicle appears to be doing nothing wrong, the lane is striped at that point, which means "all are welcome!"

today from Camb
aaea9215.jpg

OK, why are they repainting the bridge already? Was the tan-colored paint that was on there just a primer?

I think it was just primer,and now will be painted green again?

Looks like it. It too bad. I remember the Dean of Students mentioned that he was trying to push Boston to paint it red. I think it would have looked nice.

Back