BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | BU Central

I hereby nominate this for the 2021 Most Interesting Steel award.

5DEB9A9B-31BA-4D2E-A4E2-0A0B9C0E7F04.jpeg
41A74349-BA75-42F6-A351-E53999DF4947.jpeg
EC1D903B-61BE-43FE-8D08-3E3877EB6DC9.jpeg

The "Now Loading" progress bar is fun. Haven't seen that one before.

Wonder if they have the target end date on there.. Public perception of some projects, especially highly visible or state-funded would likely turn south...

It appears there was supposed to be a setback and a cantilver by the 6th floor, and I believe they have passed that mark with no apparent setback or cantilever....

It appears there was supposed to be a setback and a cantilver by the 6th floor, and I believe they have passed that mark with no apparent setback or cantilever....
The 3rd, 4th and 5th floors beyond the base were supposed to be cantilevered according to a drawing on page 1 of this thread.

There’s an awful lot of bracing in the frame. Perhaps they are going to add the cantilevered parts after the structure is topped out.

Yes, thank you bdurden. If you look closely you will see the temporary shoring steel as opposed to the permanent steel. The permanent verticals (columns and diagonals) have intumescent paint. The temporary shoring columns are untreated. So the cantilevering is being established inside the box that you see. That's until the structure is completed and at that point the temporary steel will be removed revealing the cantilevers.

That's what I originally thought, but the steel decking was in some spots that they shouldn't be, at least from my understanding. Would those also be temporary?

Back