BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | BU Central

That's what I originally thought, but the steel decking was in some spots that they shouldn't be, at least from my understanding. Would those also be temporary?
yes, that decking is used to brace the temporary columns and will be removed.

432017D8-3A8E-4A86-817D-3DB4D39E1E6F.jpeg
26EB260C-060B-4813-AB11-EA98E559CB5E.jpeg
E58CEF68-38EB-4704-853D-E6BFF196E820.jpeg
01F462BF-B922-4793-A6CE-A00CE8EB5AC7.jpeg

Yea something about this building's design definitely changed at some point. There's no way the skeleton of this thing is going from what it looks like right now to its last seen renders: BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | BU Central | Page 10 | archBOSTON

Just looking at the western side, its straight up from ground level to currently being built out floor. There should have been a shift of the floors to the east at some point that never happened.

Yea something about this building's design definitely changed at some point. There's no way the skeleton of this thing is going from what it looks like right now to its last seen renders: BU Data Sciences Center | 665 Commonwealth Avenue | BU Central | Page 10 | archBOSTON

Just looking at the western side, its straight up from ground level to currently being built out floor. There should have been a shift of the floors to the east at some point that never happened.

See melkor's response in post #459.

I think most of us were confused at first until Bdurden and Melkor explained it. Heres the post 458 and 459 Bdurden is talking about.

Some of you may be confusing the steel supporting the cantilevered sections with permanent steel. It’s progressing according to the renderings.
Yes, thank you bdurden. If you look closely you will see the temporary shoring steel as opposed to the permanent steel. The permanent verticals (columns and diagonals) have intumescent paint. The temporary shoring columns are untreated. So the cantilevering is being established inside the box that you see. That's until the structure is completed and at that point the temporary steel will be removed revealing the cantilevers.

If you look closely you can see the expected structure is under there.

Heres a great example:
You can see an overhang at the bottom left of the structure

Last edited:
I appreciate your contributions Boston02124, but sometimes seeing shots like these makes me worried you're taking them in the driver seat... going 50 down Storrow Dr... be careful out there! (don't text/snap and drive!)

Back