BU Development Thread

Re: New BU Tower

Northeastern is much better. Better location, better transportation, better buildings.

If you go to BU you are stuck on only the hopeless green line. NU has the orange line and the green line and the green line stops NU has are closer to downtown.

It is a short walk to all of Boston from NU -- about double as long from BU.

On top of that -- co-op is worth the price of tuition. You get paid and you get experience. That experience counts when you go look for a job.

Northeastern is much better. Better location, better transportation, better buildings.

If you go to BU you are stuck on only the hopeless green line. NU has the orange line and the green line and the green line stops NU has are closer to downtown.

It is a short walk to all of Boston from NU -- about double as long from BU.

On top of that -- co-op is worth the price of tuition. You get paid and you get experience. That experience counts when you go look for a job.

I would tend to disagree with you. Then again, I am an alumnus.

"This train will not be stopping at Roxbury Crossing due to a homicide investigation."

Tower looks good. Glass is up 2/3 to the top.

Right, go to school based on the number of transit stops in its vicinity. Also, better go to the school which lets you substitute an internship for a semester of class, since students from no other universities ever gain experience or ever get jobs.

I think BU is doing just fine...

that internship program is great. experience is more important than most classes you take in college.

Everyone winds up getting experience eventually (whether during the summer or by starting at the bottom, which many Northeastern grads also do anyway), so the benefits of the co-op program are really short-term. I mean, it's not like NEU alums do phenomenally better in life overall than graduates of other schools.

Meanwhile, it's not really likely you'll be able to enrich your mind or expand the flexibility of your thought in the way you do in college again once you're in the working world. That lost semester/year of class could be important in the long run.

NU is five years for most and extends over the course of summers so that time in class is not lost in any way. In fact that time in enriched by experiences brought back from the working world.

NU is also a lot different from what it was a few years ago.

To echo CZSZ's true points, that was the most laughable argument I ever read. At least you were honest in NOT including 'better academics'. I went to BU, and I am doing just fine. But I would never tell anyone that BU is better than MIT or Harvard because of superficial aspects like you just did.

Yes, the B line stinks. But your argument about location is completely out there.

Schools for the most part, are what you make of them. NU's coop basically says ?here, we?re giving you a year and a half to get some full-time professional experience?good luck.?
Now if you?re prepared, this can be a great experience. However, if you don't have a clear career path in mind (and it can be hard to at 17/18) you can be wasting your time. The more focused your academic studies are and the more pertinent your coops are, the better your results. For instance, don't choose a major like business administration...way to vague. You need to go w/something technical like finance or accounting; you need to have a marketable skill. Most importantly, make sure your coops apply. This is why the coop program is great for white collar technicians. They know exactly what they want to do, and they can get their general business background when they go for their more meaningful MBA; which may be paid for by their employer.

I did my three Co-Ops as a pharmacy student at Northeastern (we have 3 as 6-year doctor of pharmacy students). They helped me to decide what aspect of pharmacy to follow.

I must say, I agree completely with nico. It may not have been a good thing had I not known what I wanted to go into. But, if you did take a "vague major" like business administration, you get two different jobs in the industry to see how what you like. At worst, you get to find two fields within business administration that you do not want to pursue -- or that you don't want business administration. Some would say that it is better than going through with it, getting your degree, and THEN realizing that you don't like it. It may not be worth the outrageous tuition (which is comparable to similar schools), but I think if you're going to go to a 40,000+ a year school, it's not bad.

Friends of mine have gotten *careers* with Gillette (business), the Red Sox (athletic training), Frito Lay (chemical engineering), and many many good hospitals (MGH, Childrens, BIDMC, B&W for pharmacy and nursing). The reason I emphasize 'careers' is because *all* of these have come after 4 or 6 month Co-Ops with these companies, pregraduation. And because of NU's relationship with many of these big companies, it's easy to get the Co-Op in the first place -- in fact, most of the companies have spots open for Co-Ops that if they don't fill them (hardly ever happens) they would have to outside hire -- thus closing the spot. So they "rely" on NU to provide the students to fill the positions.

I am thinking about going to Northeastern, as of now it is my top choice...i know some of the members here have gone there (as shown in some of the above posts) but can maybe some of you give me some insight about Northeastern....it seems like a great school, with a great campus.

I do not know much about Northeastern other than to say it is essentially a vocational high school for grown ups. As others have pointed out, you go there to learn a career, not to get a well rounded liberal education as one would get at a place like Tufts or BU. If that's your thing, that's great, but chances are you would have little trouble getting an equally, if not better paying job coming out of a traditional college, plus you will not have wasted an extra year and by the time you're in your senior year, $55,000.

I do not know much about Northeastern other than to say it is essentially a vocational high school for grown ups. As others have pointed out, you go there to learn a career, not to get a well rounded liberal education as one would get at a place like Tufts or BU. If that's your thing, that's great, but chances are you would have little trouble getting an equally, if not better paying job coming out of a traditional college

Haha, you should have just stopped at "I do not know much about Northeastern" because that's the only thing true in that post. NU is not at all a vocational school. You take practically the same classes as any "well rounded liberal education" except you are MORE well-rounded because you have real world experience to back it up to either guide you in deciding what you want to do with your career path or in some cases what you definitely do NOT want to do. I'm not going to put NU in the same class as Tufts just yet, but BU definitely is not either. Let's get real. Also, how do you figure your starting salary would be higher with no experience?

plus you will not have wasted an extra year and by the time you're in your senior year, $55,000.

Where do you get this wasted $55,000 crap? You don't pay for 5 years of tuition, you still pay the equivalent of 4 years' tuition since that's the amount of time you'll be taking classes (6 full semesters and 4 half-semesters). Because of that you will end up paying about $8,000 less at Northeastern than at BU depending on financial aid and tuition increases over the 5th year, so realistically about $6,000 less at NU.

I've sat on the side of this debate for a while, but this is just funny...

Well, I am definitely looking for the true college experience. From the information and other stuff I have been looking at about Northeastern, it seems like a great school. It is right in Boston, it has sports, a large campus, and internships. It seems like it has everything I could need, or so I hope. I am gonna take a campus tour soon anyways, so hopefully the firsthand experience helps.

Don't use the "s" word right after the kid from BC chimes in. He'll just keep laughing like he is right now. And if anyone from BU gives you trouble about sports (probably referring to hockey), tell them that our 3-8 football team could beat their female water polo team. The only reason I match those up is because of their lack of football teams. . .

(to clarify without the sarcasm: we have many good sports on campus; track and field, swimming, diving, crew, field hockey, rugby; but unfortunately no one cares about any of those. Football is terrible but attracts a crowd. Hockey attracts the biggest crowd, it's really fun to go to, and they're really good. Unfortunately, they suck compared to BC and BU. And even Harvard, according to this year's Beanpot... Basketball is a .500 team, they are starting to attract a bigger crowd, but we'll see)

I loved BC, but I understand it's not for everyone.

For all the talk of 'experience' and 'co-ops' BC has a strong alumni network proving sometimes it's not what you know but who you know that leads to a career after graduation.

Don't use the "s" word right after the kid from BC chimes in. He'll just keep laughing like he is right now.

Perhaps :) but in all seriousness, NU is a good school and offers alot more than other schools in the area. Definitely a good choice if you know what you want to do with your career and want to remain in the Boston area after graduation.

I am thinking about going to Northeastern, as of now it is my top choice...i know some of the members here have gone there (as shown in some of the above posts) but can maybe some of you give me some insight about Northeastern....it seems like a great school, with a great campus.

Perhaps it is best to create a new thread in General Discussion about this? It will probably help to keep this thread on track, and avoid unnecessary criticisms.

I've transferred a few times and I can tell you that the truth of the matter is, the school is what you make of it. As others have mentioned, if you are certain of what you want to do, NU can help you a little more, but if not, you may be better off at BU. The two are so close and so comparable, that it's almost stupid to argue over which is better. Yes, some schools are way better than others (i.e Brown U is a far better University than the University of Southern Maine); but BU and Northeastern have so many similarities that you can do fine by going to either one. On the same token, you could do terribly at either one... both are good choices, and both can put you on the right path to success if you choose to take it.

In any case, college is going to be about the connections you make, and bother offer great opportunities to network, albeit in different ways. If you're motivated, then you can't really go wrong with either school.

Back