BU Development Thread

Re: New BU Tower

What's up with the "junk-in-the-trunk" school of design? Stern's work on Berkeley Street, Archstone, this thing. Why not better massing?

One from yesterday

img2146kg3.jpg

haha thats an awesome angle - makes the pru look like a triple-decker ;)

Hm, I do like the depth of field it gives the skyline in that view. For a second I thought I was looking at a more skyscraper-forested city, like Toronto, perhaps.

Sorry for the crap focus. The 880 lens is heavy, my hand shakes, and no tripod handy.
Toby

Anyone else notice that the steel is now missing from the top of these buildings?

I thought it was going to be a composite panel cornice above the curtainwall. I hope that it comes back or else this building becomes very plain.

Hopefully they had to redo it or move it to finnish the top,but both? this building will be just another sucky box on the skyline!

Two from March 9th.. looking from Coolidge and Winchester Streets in Brookline

img2212yl7.jpg

I took this pic to show how this block is emptying out.. no more Jasmine Sola or McD's. I would've thought they'd be filled by now as there's a very steady stream of foot traffic along here.

img2222dj4.jpg

And some from the 11th

img2289uv2.jpg

img2305wf4.jpg

img2309cj6.jpg

img2293of8.jpg

The entire Jasmine Sola chain is closing. It is no reflection on this particular location.

Right. I was more commenting on the fact that it's been over four months since either the Sola or McD's vacated with no sign of new tenants coming in any time soon.

^^ Not to mention the Store 24, which used to be to the right of Qdoba.

Ah yes, of course. I knew I was missing one..

Is BU maybe planning to tear down this building, and therefore not renting it?

So just to confirm, this is a dorm tower? Thinking about BU as one of my choices. A brand new dorm tower would be quite a big deal.

^It is a new dorm tower; as a freshman, you would not be living there. BU housing runs by class, and then a lottery. Incoming freshman are placed based on the outcome of the lottery of upperclassmen. Your choices would likely include Warren Towers, West Campus, or (if you are lucky...i was) the Bay State Rd brownstones.

I would recommend you ask for Bay State Rd as your first choice, followed by South Campus then either Warren Towers (if your priority is to be close to your classes) or West Campus (to be closer to athletic facilities).

just my two cents..

Last edited:

go to Northeastern instead :)

passed this building on the pike the other day, probably its best angle. wish i had my camera on me

Back