BU Development Thread

Re: New BU Tower

L1060080.jpg

Two or three weeks ago out my window from 3 miles.

Does BU still have the old arena? Are there plans for redev if so?

Does BU still have the old arena? Are there plans for redev if so?

They do, its used for training, basketball and womans hockey among other things.

I think they keep it because Agganis has high costs

My first post.

I drove by there the other day and was surprised at how big the building is. Comm Ave is certainly changing. Look forward to walking down later this spring.

Two more pics of what seems to be everyone's favorite new pictorial tower.

From Memorial Drive:

P1030367.jpg

From the southern end of Harvard's new science complex in Allston (non-zoomed).

P1030376.jpg

(It's not a particular favorite of mine; I just live and work nearby).

And the tower looks great from that Memorial Drive perspective.

What very few people realize that if somebody jumps off the north face of the new BU tower, he or she lands, well almost lands, in Harvard. Harvard bought all the way down to the BU property line when it amassed its land holdings in N. Allston.

BU bought some of the land too.

What very few people realize that if somebody jumps off the north face of the new BU tower, he or she lands, well almost lands, in Harvard. Harvard bought all the way down to the BU property line when it amassed its land holdings in N. Allston.

Is it weird that that excites me?

They bought the parcels that were near their campus. Harvard bought the rest. It was railroad or trucking land, i don't remember which.

They bought the parcels that were near their campus. Harvard bought the rest. It was railroad or trucking land, i don't remember which.

I think Harvard pretty much got it all. Below is a link to the property ownership map, about three years old, and Harvard has bought several more parcels since, most significantly the Tech Center LLC on Lincoln St, and parcels on the east side of Barry's Corner.

If BU bought anything, it was property to the east of West Village. I recall BU was interested in buying some of the property that Harvard acquired, but couldn't match Harvard's money.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/bra/pdf/PlanningPublications/North Allston Property Ownership Map.pdf

I thought I read in the papers that BU did get a small parcel that would not have made since for Harvard.

^^^ Below is a fragment of the property ownership map prepared by the city of Boston sometime around 2005-2006. Harvard land is salmon colored; BU land is brown colored. The western edge of BU's Nickerson Field abuts the street, Babcock St. that runs north-south in the lower right of the map and intersects with Ashford St.

SNAG-01789.jpg

Back