BU Development Thread

Re: New BU Tower

its not a wonderful or amazing building, but its not objectionable. Inside, it looks like it should: corporate.

its massing is appropriate i suppose. It creates a nice transition towards what should be a taller kenmore square. the real block buster there is the former HoJos.

I would have added some more sidewalk activity instead of tree berms, but for the most part, the building feels, and looks like what it is: a school of management. Is that so bad?

yesterday

img4492xz7.jpg

img4502ge6.jpg

img4523ui4.jpg

While riding my bike along the Boston side of the Charles from North Station to Kenmore square, I could not help but be impressed with this perspective of the new BU Tower.

It has what I would describe as a modern, regal appearance to it.

^yes, regardless of what you think of the design, it looks very imposing, if thats the right word, out there from the other side of the river. Just pointing this out: Isn't that double tree hotel a nice building? :p

By ca. 1994 PoMo standards, maybe.

Warsaw with slightly more glass and a hat.

Views from Brookline and Allston:

img6442qu0.jpg

img6605mu6.jpg

img6695fz4.jpg

img6707ja1.jpg

I agree with Merper. It's not anything amazing, but I don't find it to be horrible either. I left for Atlanta (for work) in Feb. and coming back and seeing how much they've gotten done was surprising.

It's no Pritzker winner, but it definitely isn't bad. It is a college tower, did you expect an amazing, iconic building that would define Boston? No. I expected a modern, somewhat bland, corporate looking building that would fit with the rest of the precast BU campus. And that's what we got. No problems with it here. Especially not if I get to live in it.

I was on storrow drive today, and dare i say... i like it!

i think i should go back to college...go to BU (or suffolk) and get some nice views from my dorm room...lucky kids. hope they appreciate it.

Ah. I sure will. Welcome to the board, by the way.

I kinda like it better with the crane
xcranes.jpg
today on the pike
xcranes449-1.jpg

i like this deign i would want to visit this college

This week:

IMG_6121.jpg

New road improvements, the crosswalk to nowhere
IMG_6123.jpg

IMG_6124.jpg

The base:
IMG_6125.jpg

IMG_6127.jpg

IMG_6128.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg

Left, new, right, agganis arena, back, phase 1
IMG_6126.jpg

IMG_6130.jpg

The top floor has one hell of a study lounge, as seen from the newly returfed field
IMG_6135.jpg

IMG_6132.jpg

IMG_6134.jpg

Contrast to the old dorms
IMG_6133.jpg

I don't hate this building either in aesthetics or placement but if this was anywhere else in the city I would hate it. I think it works where it is because it is on a campus but the street level activity on all the new BU stuff leaves much to be desired.

Thank you, jass, for the photo update. I think this new dorm is great, and frankly I'm a bit jealous that Northeastern can't get the height approval that BU was granted for this one. On the other hand, I couldn't agree more with vanshnookenraggen: the street-level atmosphere @ BU absolutely stinks, and its lack of aesthetics or sense of community was one of the reasons I chose NU over BU.

Back