BU Development Thread

Re: New BU Tower

Note that the entire area there is train tracks. Its the perfect place to cotnruct an Allston commuter rail stop on the worcester line with connection to the urban ring. Space like that cannot be found anywhere else in the city

Not really, in fact it used to be twice as big but they removed half of it when they built the turnpike.

Correct me if I am wrong, but compared to 24 years ago, the only significant difference in this view (skyline-wise) is 111 Huntington.

I guess one could argue that 33 Arch St, espcially given it's color, adds to the view.

All the other buildings constructed in the last quarter century in this picture are barely visable (1 Lincoln, The Millineum Towers, 2 International Place, etc.). Though off the top of my head I do not recall exactly when 1 Exchange Place and 1 International were built, but suffice it to say it was closer to 24 years ago than now. . . [/QUOT I had a much higher view I could see from the Alewife towers all of Cambridge,all of downtown,BackBay and it ended at Northeastern.Here ar

e my views from 1985(Alewife not included!)
did,nt have a good camera then,As you can see a lot has been added!T
he newer picture is around 2005 then 2007

Last edited:

Looked like they were close to being done when i drove by yesterday. It looks pretty impressive from a distance. Probably all thats left is finishing up installing the glass and a bunch of interior crap?

Yeah. Well honestly it doesnt look like it's a ton further ahead than the Northeastern dorms, and with all the interior work that the NU dorms have, its opening date is set for 16 months from now.

Yesterday:

img4126eo1.jpg

and one from this morning:

img4167ys5.jpg

The roof line looks great! This building is really coming together nicely.

Heh, now there will be two ugly apartment building types in the city, ugly 60's and ugly 00's.

off topic, but wow that Bloomberg review is great! My favorite part:

Silber may have belatedly realized this as he stared at Harvard's and MIT's buildings across the river. Is he angry that his 13 million square feet have risked nothing, aspired to nothing and achieved no glory for the institution he led for so long?

He ought to be.

The title of the review is great too!
Silber Knocks New Architecture in Book, Built Junk at Boston U.

Certainly you can find flaws in every building, but there is something to be said about continually pushing the envelope of design. He always touted BU as the '3rd great university on the Charles' but the 13 million square feet of precast panels speaks volumes.

You could fit what I like about Frank Gehry's work in a shot-glass (and not one I'd be drinking out of).

That said, Mr. Silber is a horse's ass.

It's too bad Silber has to be the one attacking starchitects. I want to side with him, as I think there's a lot of unhealthy excesses in today's designs.

But then I think about his words -- 90 pages of rambling at the rediculous price of $27.50 -- and then his actions (13m s.f. of garbage buildings), and that's it for me. I even read a third of the book in store, and the more I read the worse it got.

On UniversalHub, many people are coming to the defense of Silber and some of his buildings (notably the School of Management).

^ The main problem with this discussion is that people seem to have the misguided notion that purposeful design can't also be innovative.

Im on Silber's side in that the School of Management is a good building.

Back