BU Development Thread

Re: New BU Tower

I don't hate this building either in aesthetics or placement but if this was anywhere else in the city I would hate it. I think it works where it is because it is on a campus but the street level activity on all the new BU stuff leaves much to be desired.

Its between a sports arena and an elevated highway, accessed by a semi-private street.

I dont know what they could have done besides add yet another starbucks

I'm not thrilled by this building. This is probably due mostly to my attraction to smaller suburban schools rather than big city schools. My sense of a dorm is a smaller community of maybe five floors that is surrounded by activity on campus. This new dorm tower does not give me that sense.

Granted, the city life is vastly different than suburban life (even when it comes to college), but I still much prefer the smaller dorms than these tall towers. This is mostly just a matter of opinion, as I am sure there are others who feel like my view is wrong.

Just my two cents.

Thank you, jass, for the photo update. I think this new dorm is great, and frankly I'm a bit jealous that Northeastern can't get the height approval that BU was granted for this one. On the other hand, I couldn't agree more with vanshnookenraggen: the street-level atmosphere @ BU absolutely stinks, and its lack of aesthetics or sense of community was one of the reasons I chose NU over BU.

I agree, this is probably due to the way the campus is placed. It's one long thin strip that spans 7 Green Line stops and thus lacks a dense and cohesive area compared to the NU Campus which has everything tightly packed into a few blocks. The building around the new BU tower like the Agganis Arena are the only bright spots in BU IMHO. I just wish NU has a better design on their dorm. I'm going to be sick of looking at it as I go from class to class there.

A set from the Allston toll booths:

img9068er0.jpg

img9069or3.jpg

img9071xo4.jpg

img9072io7.jpg

^ yeah, that's bird crap.

Turned out looking great. I assumed that they would clad it similar to Student Village 1 - (the original tower to the left) but the different siding makes it stand out. I was driving by on Comm Ave the other day and I thought the back box part stood out the most. How many sq ft is this thing anyway?

I agree, this is probably due to the way the campus is placed. It's one long thin strip that spans 7 Green Line stops and thus lacks a dense and cohesive area compared to the NU Campus which has everything tightly packed into a few blocks. The building around the new BU tower like the Agganis Arena are the only bright spots in BU IMHO. I just wish NU has a better design on their dorm. I'm going to be sick of looking at it as I go from class to class there.

You think it is bad now, you should have seen it a few years ago when I was a BU student! I don't think it is less desirable than NU, however. In fact, much of what makes BU seem so ugly and disected are City and MBTA flaws, not University ones.

You think it is bad now, you should have seen it a few years ago when I was a BU student! I don't think it is less desirable than NU, however. In fact, much of what makes BU seem so ugly and disected are City and MBTA flaws, not University ones.

The difference is that Northeastern in the past two decades has moved light years ahead of BU in developing a cohesive and beautiful campus. BU has only made incremental improvements to its built environment. Except for NU's newest dorm now under construction (yuck) NU's buildings are all human scale. I was a student at NU in the 1970's and no one then would have ever imagined the transformation that would eventually come.

Well, this might be the last new BU building for a while.

Boston.com - October 1st
BU head calls for a hiring freeze
Cites uncertainty of US economy

By Tracy Jan, Globe Staff | October 1, 2008

Boston University President Robert A. Brown last night called for an immediate hiring freeze and a moratorium on all construction projects that are not already underway in a clear sign that the nation's credit and banking crisis has penetrated the walls of academia.

"I feel it is important to act preemptively to manage the potential short- and longer-term risks to us created by the current economic uncertainty," Brown wrote in an e-mail to faculty and staff last night, weeks before he was due to present his annual letter on the university's academic and fiscal health.

Brown emphasized that he was taking precautionary steps because of "uncertainties created by the upheavals in the financial markets and the nation's poor economic outlook," and not because of the university's fiscal health.

The BU president met with senior administrators yesterday to discuss taking the preemptive step as a way to shore up the university's coffers in case it needs to make more money available to meet an anticipated growth in the need for financial aid - in light of rising unemployment and frozen capital markets affecting families' ability to secure college loans. BU's annual tuition and housing costs about $48,000.

"We thought it'd be prudent to put things on hold until things settle down, and not take on new staff members if the economy deteriorates," said Joseph Mercurio, executive vice president who oversees BU's budget. "If demonstrated need goes up regarding financial aid, we need to be prepared to step in to fill those gaps."

BU is at the forefront in responding to the economy's recent nosedive, according to the American Council on Education.

"This is the first institution that we've heard of doing something like this, but given the fiscal situation that we're all facing, it probably won't be the last," said Tim McDonough, spokesman for the Washington, D.C.-based council. "This is a smart step to take so they can keep a handle on things and stave off more difficult decisions down the road."

The university, which employs 8,000 people, has roughly 200 to 300 staff openings, said Mercurio, expecting more specific analysis today. All faculty searches already authorized, as well as dorm security and campus police positions, will continue, and the jobs should be filled, he said.

Brown, who was unavailable for an interview last night, has a goal of expanding the university's faculty by 150 new positions within a decade. That won't change.

All other open positions, including clerical, accounting, and support staff, will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis depending on how critical they are to the university.

Virginia Sapiro, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said she appreciates Brown's inclination to tread carefully on future hiring and does not see it as a "panic attack." Though she has yet to receive formal authorization, she said the provost's office reassured her yesterday that she would likely be able to hire more than two dozen faculty members this year.

"As long as the sky doesn't fall," Sapiro said. "We're assuming that Chicken Little isn't going to be coming through our door in the next few weeks."

Construction projects already underway - such as creating practice rooms for the music program and a new $170 million pair of towers to house 960 students - will be completed as planned. The dormitory is 70 percent finished, Mercurio said, and is expected to open on time next June.

The future of more than $130 million in other projects still in planning phases is murky. Those include expanding the law school; building a student services center that will house the admissions office, career services, and academic resource center; and renovating the College of Communications. Planning with architects will continue, but it is unclear when construction will begin.

"It may turn out in two or three weeks that the crisis will pass and all of this will be for naught," Mercurio said.

The university, with a $1.8 billion operating budget, just completed its two best years in its financial history, he said. The university's $1.2 billion endowment is also healthy, and saw a 2.9 percent increase in the last fiscal year.

Tracy Jan can be reached at tjan@globe.com.

I hope this is just BU, and doesn't spread to Emerson, Suffolk, Harvard, MIT, and other local schools.

I think Harvard is going to be OK. The smaller schools might feel a pinch.

Endowment doesnt really matter. Right now nobody is lending anything, and Harvard will want to keep their cash close by as well.

BUs 1 billion could easily pay for new teachers, and most of their planned buildings, but they wont let go of that money right now, not with uncertainty.

In about 20 hours we'll know for sure how things stand

Right, BU obviously isn't going to turn around and spend 80% -100% of their endowment on capital expenditures and day to day operations, but Harvard could drop a billion on various projects and still have ~30B sitting around. They'll be OK.

The outside is pretty much done. The predestrian crossing is done.

I guess all the work is going on inside.

IMG_6292.jpg

IMG_6293.jpg

IMG_6294-1.jpg

IMG_6295.jpg

IMG_6296-1.jpg

I like the view from the visitor's dugout at Braves Field. Thanks!

This building is proof that you can be bland and unoffensive but still look modern and attractive.

^^^^
There's a Sarah Palin joke in there somewhere.

I really do like this building. I agree with Van that this building is nothing flashy but it still manages to look modern and attractive and seems to fit in with the surrounding area nicely.

Yay prefab paneling. The students at BU must be grateful to have architecture as inspiring as this postmodern housing bloc from 80s East Berlin (it WAS designed for the Politburo after all).

408736487_94714b8038.jpg

Back