BU Development Thread

Fantastic article.

I knew many of the buildings were auto related, but I hadnt realzied that damn near all of them were, like the Shaws.

Jass --Boston likemost big cities in the pre-auto era developed an ersatz commercial clustering -- so you had:

1) the jewlers building full of jewlers
2) Piano row - piano dealers and manufacturers
3) clusters of furniture stores
4) clusters of rug stores
5) Bromfield St wih its camera stores
6) DTX with department stores
7) Newspaper row
8) meat at Fanueil Hall / Quincy Market
9) Fish at the Fish Pier

10) it just made sense in the early 20th century to have such a cluster of auto dealers and associated companies such as:
"Ellis the Rim man"
the City service Oil and gasoline (now Citgo)
Shell oil

-- and they built on what had been essentially vacant land - mostly west of Kemore Sq.

Note for the history buffs among us -- in the 1870's the world center for telecommunications R&D was the building at 109 Court St. -- this is where in one decade both Edison and Bell had labs in the same building where Charles Williams was a leading contract manufacturer of telegraph instruments and later telephone equipment

Bell of course was a Professsor at BU during this era

From a reliable source
http://www.telegraph-office.com/pages/Charles_Williams.html

" Charles Williams was the most prolific and influential of all telegraph instrument makers in the mid 19th century. Williams' first venture was as Hinds and Williams from 1850 to 1856 at 318 Washington St. in Boston. From 1856 on, the shop was located at 109 Court Street in Boston. An image of the Court Street building is shown at the right. Williams had an electrical shop that manufactured among other items, telegraph instruments. Types of telegraph instruments known to exist from Williams are keys, sounders, registers and KOBs (key and sounder on wood base). It is likely he also made relays. Some of the first fire alarm telegraph equipment was made in Williams' shops.

In the 1850s, Boston was the major American telegraph manufacturing center as well as a center for telegraph invention. ....Williams supplied parts and apparatus to Thomas Edison, Joseph Stearns (who perfected duplex telegraphy, et. al.), Alexander Graham Bell and other inventors. The advertisement to the right testifies to the nature of Williams' business as a supplier. Edison, as a young inventor, leased space in a corner of the building from Williams before he had his own laboratory. In the December 1868 issue of The Telegrapher, Edison announced his address as "Care of Charles Williams Jr., Telegraph Instrument Maker, 109 Court Street, Boston." It was here, with the aide of one of Williams' employees that Edison built a working model of his first patented (1869) invention, a vote recorder. Charles Williams, Jr. advertisement Moses Farmer, the most prominent telegraph inventor (repeater, call box, et.al.) of the mid 19th century, had his instruments built in Williams' shop.

The name Charles Williams Jr. is most often associated with the birth of the telephone. Alexander Graham Bell had his laboratory on the top floor of the five story building occupied by Williams. Thomas Watson, Bell's assistant was employed by Williams as a 'mechanic' who built prototype instruments. The first telephone line was strung between the William's shop and William's own house in Somerville three miles away in 1877.

Thomas Watson went to work in the Williams shop in July of 1872 at the age of 18 as a machinist's apprentice. We are lucky that Watson described the operation; this gives us insight into the state of telegraph instrument manufacturing in the early 1870s. Watson reports that Williams employed about twenty five men. There were twenty hand lathes and two engine lathes in addition to hand tools. Brass, steel, lumber and rough castings lay all about. Williams' workers started with raw wood and metal and amidst the shop, there was one tiny office which handled client meetings and the display of apparatus.

Last edited:
Random BU stuffs

This lot has been mentioned as a future BU megahub.

Its bigger than I remember.

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

The green paint has lasted longer than I expected. Thumbs up.
IMG_2850.jpg

This sign has not.
IMG_2852.jpg

Not BU, but what is this shed of mystery for?
IMG_2875.jpg

OMG, the MBTA station lights. They work!
IMG_2876.jpg

BU added more signs. Im mixed. Theyre aimed at car peoples, but thats not made explicit. So the arrow for bay state is wrong if youre a pedestrian.

Also, they have a sign all the way by the storrow/beacon exit

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

This was never dark, but now, more light
IMG_2879.jpg

Can we get a refund on this?
IMG_2880.jpg

BU has an all you can drunk nitrogen bar
IMG_2882.jpg

There was talk of making some streets around BU private. Thed probably end up like this.

IMG_2885.jpg

Fedex is still a public enemy
IMG_2851.jpg

Where is that lot? Can for the life of me figure it out based on those two pictures.

Regarding those bricks, it looks like they did some utility work and then just threw them back down without actually spreading sand and tamping it all down. So they just rattled around and now we have what you see above. Wasnt there some talk of the city being able to charge the utilities for damage such as this?

The shed doohickey in Kenmore with all the weird instruments on the roof is an air quality monitoring station. Was plunked down there sometime in the mid-90's.

I hope this isnt too off topic but...
The shed doohickey in Kenmore with all the weird instruments on the roof is an air quality monitoring station. Was plunked down there sometime in the mid-90's.

I had always thought it was something related to the T. I've felt for a while that little island has unrealized potential, either as a pocket park or something more innovative. Its roughly 6000 square feet, about 40'x150', plus the point.

The spot the "BU Trolley" foot cart occupies in the parking lot off Granby St is roughly 20'x100'. If you put that business (or something similar) into something nicer looking (like the au bon pain stand inside South Station) you could give that little median a real purpose. I can imagine it being a real draw after Sox games, sitting at a table in the middle of Kenmore Square under the light of the Citgo Sign. I know everyone will say its only good for one and a half seasons because of our weather, but I will counter this with the crowd I see at similar venues at ski resorts. People who are already dressed for being outside (as winter tourists, especially those heading for Newbury Street are) don't mind sitting in the elements as long as there is enough activity to observe and the venue itself has a significant draw. No one will sit out there and eat an entire meal, but a cup of coffee and a quick bite to eat, absolutely.

I think this whole mentality of pulling in (the already too small amount of) outdoor seating as soon as it gets chilly is retarded. I specifically go to Espresso Royale because they leave their seating out, and I am not the only one who sits out there. And that is in a pit in the shade, this median is in full sun.

I know everyone will say its only good for one and a half seasons because of our weather, but I will counter this with the crowd I see at similar venues at ski resorts. People who are already dressed for being outside (as winter tourists, especially those heading for Newbury Street are) don't mind sitting in the elements as long as there is enough activity to observe and the venue itself has a significant draw. No one will sit out there and eat an entire meal, but a cup of coffee and a quick bite to eat, absolutely.

I think this whole mentality of pulling in (the already too small amount of) outdoor seating as soon as it gets chilly is retarded. I specifically go to Espresso Royale because they leave their seating out, and I am not the only one who sits out there. And that is in a pit in the shade, this median is in full sun.

Dave -- In Berlin and some other places in Europe when it gets cold -- for traditonal open-air venues such as Beer Gartens and Sidewalk Cafes -- they deploy plastic roll down transparent walls or for the places that stay completely open to the elements -- propane powered IR heaters either at foot level or mounted on poles with reflectors aiming downward on the top of the diners

Dave -- In Berlin and some other places in Europe when it gets cold -- for traditonal open-air venues such as Beer Gartens and Sidewalk Cafes -- they deploy plastic roll down transparent walls or for the places that stay completely open to the elements -- propane powered IR heaters either at foot level or mounted on poles with reflectors aiming downward on the top of the diners

Such places are quite pleasant, too. Those outdoor heaters are quite effective.

I hope this isnt too off topic but...

I had always thought it was something related to the T. I've felt for a while that little island has unrealized potential, either as a pocket park or something more innovative. Its roughly 6000 square feet, about 40'x150', plus the point.

The hut was originally for monitoring vehicle exhaust going through Kenmore, but after 9/11 Homeland Security also installed detectors on it for early warning of chemical/biological attacks. There's several such installations around the city, but this is one of the only ones in plain view at ground level instead of stuffed somewhere on a building roof.

There was great aura of mystery around it when it first showed up while I was at BU. It took awhile for the city to satisfy everyone's curiosity by saying what it was for.

Admissions Reception Center

233-BSR-Rendering.png

The project restores the abandoned building at 233 Bay State Road for an expanded Admissions Reception Center. The plan accommodates about 95% of the preferred program, highlighted by a large reception space and a 180 seat auditorium. A five minute walk to the GSU or to SMG, the site is also near larger meeting spaces, such as Stone B-50 and the Law Auditorium. The project includes restoring the exterior of the former Hillel building, enlarged by a 2,500sf addition to improve circulation in the building and code compliant egress. The project will also connect to the Castle, providing access and restrooms for handicapped visitors to that building as well. The project is seeking LEED certification.

Project Address: 233 Bay State Road
Scope: 17,000 square feet
Project Management: Jeff Hoseth (Boston University)
Architects: Goody Clancy

Assuming that is slate sculping cladding in the rendering, it looks like the missing unfinished rear part of the Alston Public Library turned up on Bay State Road.

Edit: Based on the information below this rendering seems inaccurate to the point of being nearly useless.

Last edited:
BU's Hillel House -- I took my first college-level course in that building, during my final year at Boston Latin. Though the level of maintenance (in the late 1980s) seemed lax, I recall a humanely modern building with pleasant natural lighting. There's a bit of Marcel Breuer in it. I'm sad to see it in its present state, and hope the BU doesn't trash its original mid-century finishes.

I've long admired that building as well... looks like it's a faithful renovation, though the renderings don't help much. They are terrible actually.

Looks like 3-4 parking spaces will be replaced by a plaza.

Like Pierce says, the renderings are terrible. It actually appears that they will be stripping the Bay State extension of it's median at Granby Street and extending the sidewalk outward to create a mini-plaza.

Back