BU Development Thread

It amazes me how people at such a high level can be so unaware of the Charles River Dam.

So I've heard, however, the FEMA maps don't paint that area (BU) as particularly dire.

The Sailing Pavilion floods all the time, sometimes onto Storrow, because that's where the lower Charles Basin is supposed to flood by design to keep everywhere else high and dry. It's a non-issue for campus. I was a freshman during the Great Flood of '96. No classes got canceled, and CAS basement classrooms stayed dry as a bone. All while half the Back Bay was pumping out basements and the water in Kenmore Station went up halfway into the street underpass. Northeastern and MIT got scuffed up much worse than BU did in the last 50-year flood event.

The Sailing Pavilion floods all the time, sometimes onto Storrow, because that's where the lower Charles Basin is supposed to flood by design to keep everywhere else high and dry. It's a non-issue for campus. I was a freshman during the Great Flood of '96. No classes got canceled, and CAS basement classrooms stayed dry as a bone. All while half the Back Bay was pumping out basements and the water in Kenmore Station went up halfway into the street underpass. Northeastern and MIT got scuffed up much worse than BU did in the last 50-year flood event.

Meanwhile, our 2nd floor lab space floods and leaks every time the sky thinks about raining.

Meanwhile, our 2nd floor lab space floods and leaks every time the sky thinks about raining.

Well, yeah. There is that, the toxic mold in COM, and the sewage leaks in the SFA basement. But SFA doesn't have any Saudi oil money putting up $10M donations for a new building, so raw sewage is just one of them facts of life you have to learn to live with. Character-building and whatnot...

Storrow drive-by...

15314568156_73287f9dce_b.jpg

Awww yiss new colored panels! I think that with the patched concrete, new windows, and re-colored panels this building will look much, much better. Plus the new law wing looks really good inside - I'll take some pictures next time.

Totally agree--some colored panels, new windows, patched concrete and maybe a little kill-it-with-fire, and it will look great. To be clear, I hope BU is very careful in how it treats the original architectural design, lest they end up actually leaving this building standing.

I actually got to look at the giant blueprints and project book way back when I was working for BU's facility management department, and it was very extensive in its approach to the original architect's idea and concept for the space. Literally the first few pages were waxing poetic about Sert's influence and design philosophy. I think that they took it to heart, and are trying to re-create the successful Yale Architecture Building rehab job on BU's campus. The design team in BU's planning department is actually top-notch - they could be a pretty successful firm if they were independent.

Overall, the current admin at BU wants staying power from its designs and capital projects, so they aren't likely to half-ass projects like this one.

Took a quick run through the new Redstone building at BU - it's the law building addition. Really nicely done on the inside! My camera phone wasn't quite up to capturing everything, but it's better than nothing.

h639ogO.jpg

qPfShgL.jpg

w32wRSl.jpg

YZlIKbO.jpg

FpKLL8D.jpg

9AgyOxx.jpg

emfql1R.jpg

Back