BU Development Thread

Progress this week on the steel frame (about 4 of 9 floors):
800x600.jpg

FYI there is a comprehensive development page with a live webcam here: http://www.bu.edu/facilities/project/center-for-integrated-life-sciences-engineering/

Thanks! That's great!

Btw, I'm shocked that they are publicly disclosing that this building will contain a vivarium. I've worked on a number of vivariums (vivaria?) at educational institutions and no one on the project team was even allowed to say the word in public or on site for fear of student protest.

^Give it time. That little piece of information has flown under the radar pretty well thus far.

I don't think I ever saw a city health inspector in 2-1/2 years. None of the other student managers across campus I would talk to on the job could remember seeing one either. The sanitary conditions in those kitchens are (I'm just going to take an educated guess that's still present-tense) deplorable. Deplorable. Dining Services didn't give a shit...because they knew it was ensured from above they would never see a health inspector as long as they lived.

Thats not true at all. We got regular visits by the Aramark/BU inspector and 2 visits a year by the city.

I would know, I was lectured on not knowing where the bacteria checking pads were after working there for 2 years. Not my fault I never saw them used once and was never told about them.

But yes, BU dining hates competition so much they closed half the dining halls for competing with their glory holes.

Also, they dont let anyone offer BU point swipes. Im in NJ now and literally everyone accepts the Rutgers meal points thing. Everyone.

Thanks! That's great!

Btw, I'm shocked that they are publicly disclosing that this building will contain a vivarium. I've worked on a number of vivariums (vivaria?) at educational institutions and no one on the project team was even allowed to say the word in public or on site for fear of student protest.

Speaking of, did that Anthrax/Ebola lab ever open?

The NEIDL is up to Level 3 work and negotiating level 4 work with the local Flat World Society.

DZ, I must have been just behind or ahead of you yesterday. I walked the same route as you and it appears to be at the same time. Great photos!

Take a look at Boston University’s plan to renovate Myles Standish Hall

Boston University has submitted plans to the city to renovate a dormitory on Beacon Street “to assure that the residence hall remains an attractive option for on-campus student housing.”

The existing Myles Standish Hall is a nine-story residence hall that houses 660 students at 610 Beacon St., while the abutting Myles Standish Annex is a three-story, 93-bed residence hall at 632 Beacon St. The two properties function as a single 203,000-square-foot, 753-bed dormitory housing primarily undergraduate students.

The BU trustees have proposed fully renovating the interior of the hall and annex structures as well as upgrading the exterior of both structures.

The project will also include public realm improvements including new sidewalks, benches, street trees, bicycle ramps and a 6,400-square-foot open plaza. The project was planned by Fort Point Associates and designed by Miller Dyer Spears.

A 30-month construction process is expected to begin in May. BU is also proposing to temporarily house 350 students at 1047 Commonwealth Ave. while the Myles Standish Hall and Annex are being renovated.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...ke-a-look-at-boston-university-s-plan-to.html

Long overdue renovation -- the pocket park is a nice touch at Beacon / Bay State.

The Myles renovation was in the Master Plan. I believe that the IMP called for StuVi III to be built first so that it would house the displaced Myles residents. Now I have heard that StuViIII will be built "at a future date".

BU is also proposing to temporarily house 350 students at 1047 Commonwealth Ave. while the Myles Standish Hall and Annex are being renovated.

Latest plans I can find for 1047 Comm Ave had it at 220 beds. BU is really packing those students in (temporarily).

Back