Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

^ LOL

Every once in a while the entire forum goes off the rails. Today is once in a while. Should be interesting to see what the last off topic of the day is. Its kind of like when you watch youtube and you start on a documentary about ancient egypt and 6 hours later your watching tutorials on how to train a dolphin to give high fives.

I'm still hoping that the phallic glass office tower gets built at this site. It's a gem and I'd love to ride those elevators. I love how they didn't circumsize the top and gave it an actual crown.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-15%20at%202.09.48%20PM.png

^ LOL

Every once in a while the entire forum goes off the rails. Today is once in a while. Should be interesting to see what the last off topic of the day is. Its kind of like when you watch youtube and you start on a documentary about ancient egypt and 6 hours later your watching tutorials on how to train a dolphin to give high fives.

be advised, we have some more business to do on the Copley Square thread.

we're clearing our accounts today. :)

trouble is, i blew up the Porsche forum about whether or not she can only do 195mph, or in fact, top 200mph with the help of 96 octane gas (93 ultra + the correct mix of acetone).

i need Whiggy to join Rennlist for a good Aero discussion.

Found a new 1

Neoscape_HYM_BulfinchCrossing_Aerial_Charlestown_SaveForWeb-1024x731.jpg

I've posted this before but just for gits n shigs..

Neoscape_HYM_BulfinchCrossing_Aerial_Close_SavedForWeb-1024x730.jpg

Heres a close up of the residential cladding. Looks to be much higher quality (aluminum) than it looks in most renders.

2015_11_I05_Streetview_03.jpg

Old massing but skyline shot:

Government-Center-Garage-Redevelopment_Boston_Skyline-1024x512.jpg

and then while were at it the ol faithful render:

OneCongressRedevelopment-SkylineImageA.jpg

Stick -- actually despite what Odurandia habitually posts -- in the above views there are only two structures which I really would like to see obliterated:

Boston "New " City Hall and the Hurley Building

the Hurley is probably the best place for a truly tall tower -- it looks to be between 825 ft and 850 ft on the fAA map within a couple of blocks of Gov't Center [Blue, Green], North Station [CR Orange] not too far from Park St. [Red] and even the two branches of the Silver Line and South Station are walkable

Oh yes I know we'll be destroying one of Paul Rudolphs greatest works -- so in this era we can use a Laser Scanner to completely record the exterior and make a holographic reproduction for the Rudolph Junkies :p

I agree. The Pelli tower is so achingly beautiful that we'll wish it were taller--wish it were tall enough to clearly overtake International Place's role in the skyline.

the body of the tower will look IPish from their airport. it's not something you'll see in the press report/s, but the tip of the mechanical screen is ~110' taller than the resident tower; 647'.

high up (i had to ask nice).

^^The West Enders are going to be looking at the fat side of the office tower. Considering the sensitivity, it should come as no surprise if the crown appears a bit shrunken in some of the renders. The architects know the screen needs to be 'tall' in order to be visible near the tower's base. It is tall. In the renders where the towers are shown together, the tower's sexy crown and superior height is on display.

HYM informed me (last winter), the office tower's height will be 647'.

in HYM's render of both towers, measuring by pixels gives a ratio of 1.204

According to the resident tower pnf, the rooftop height is given as (547.3').

using the multiplier X 547.3' gives 659' for the office tower.

using the multiplier X the FAA height for the resident tower (539') gives 648.9' for the office tower.

Last edited:
except most people won't see this view.....frankly, I like how Avenir, One Canal, and the others meet the street.

Add the merano and the north end hotel into the mix next to the merano as well and it looks to be shaping up nicely. Plus the blackstone market too.

Add the merano and the north end hotel into the mix next to the merano as well and it looks to be shaping up nicely. Plus the blackstone market too.

I like them as well. The tower will not be seen from that angle anyway. Also, the rendering depicts the tower in a way that leaves a lot to artistic license.

Charlie_MTA -- you shouldn't casually toss-around terms like Stalinesque -- especially since noting in the Bulfinch Triangle is remotely Stalinesque

this is Stalinesque
culture-and-science-palace-in-warsaw-building-built-as-a-gift-of-to-picture-id526073848

No --that's to benign an image for something which was formerly and formally known as
The Palace of Culture and Science (Polish: Pałac Kultury i Nauki, also abbreviated PKiN) in Warsaw is the tallest building in Poland, the eighth tallest building in the European Union.
The building was originally known as the Joseph Stalin Palace of Culture and Science (Pałac Kultury i Nauki imienia Józefa Stalina), but in the wake of destalinzation the dedication to Stalin was revoked; Stalin’s name was removed from the interior lobby and one of the building’s sculptures. Currently it is the 187th tallest building in the world.
tumblr_ly7lk3vACA1qb4fp9.jpg
http://christianlarsenphoto.tumblr.com/post/16294005074/a-gift-from-stalin-warsaw-nov2011

Ah -- to get the proper feeling of Stalinesque it has to be a winter photo like this one
tumblr_o1o20vsPy71skil62o1_500.jpg

Back