Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development

^Give it time...city plaza is Boston's next skyscraper city...give or take 50 years.

The development here, down canal and in front and around the garden will be huge for the area in this view. Next step (getting way ahead of ourselves, but im an optimist) is City Hall, JFK, and that FBI building with the stairs. Although it is interesting, its blocked off by fences since 9/11. These offices need to be either put in different areas of the city or get comfortable in secure floors of a larger tower.

If they ever redevelop govt center plaza I would love to see a detangled variant of the old scollay square street grid come back along with a tear down of half of the building along cambridge st. In its place a classical courtyard in front of the suffolk count courthouse to still have a place to hold events, just smaller and less dehumanizing.. City hall should stay, just surround it with streets and buildings on all side, maybe figure out a way to open up the congress st side. A promenade leading from the new courtyard to the main entrance would be perfect. Anyone who has walked down the grand streets leading up to the urban schloss(es) in germany knows what I mean. I drew up a map somewhere, ill throw it in th design a better if I can find it.

Last edited:

Wow, the contrast in that second photo between the garage and city hall versus the North End is just jarring.

There was a plan floated in the 80s for a slender 40 story hotel at the base of Hanover Street and the City Hall Plaza. It was a cool, slim, modern design. I thought it was a great way to enclose and animate the plaza, and an appropriate location for some height. There was even some thought about continuing Hanover through the plaza and reconnecting it to Cambridge Street. The Feds took an issue, as I recall, and slowed the process, ultimately killing it. Too bad. Maybe someone has a render of this project. There was quite a bit of talk about it then.

heres another garage that needs to go,whats up with that vacant lot? been there forever

If they ever redevelop govt center plaza I would love to see a detangled variant of the old scollay square street grid come back along with a tear down of half of the building along cambridge st. In its place a classical courtyard in front of the suffolk count courthouse to still have a place to hold events, just smaller and less dehumanizing.. City hall should stay, just surround it with streets and buildings on all side, maybe figure out a way to open up the congress st side. A promenade leading from the new courtyard to the main entrance would be perfect. Anyone who has walked down the grand streets leading up to the urban schloss(es) in germany knows what I mean. I drew up a map somewhere, ill throw it in th design a better if I can find it.

Here's one I did a few years ago. The yellow outlined blocks would be low to high rise mixed commercial/residential/office buildings. The strip park east of City Hall could also be developed with a narrowed New Congress Street allowing a more viable space there for buildings:

9178896854_a44627fa25_z.jpg

heres another garage that needs to go,whats up with that vacant lot? been there forever

Isn't that the lot where the proposed Farmer's Market building would go?

Here's one I did a few years ago. The yellow outlined blocks would be low to high rise mixed commercial/residential/office buildings. The strip park east of City Hall could also be developed with a narrowed New Congress Street allowing a more viable space there for buildings:

9178896854_a44627fa25_z.jpg

This is nice. Great to think that some of this will come to fruition with the Garage being torn down. What ever happened to plans to develop the parcel that used to have the Mobil on it... right at the tip of the BF-Triangle? Would love to see that go up as it would help complete that side of that neighborhood.

Isn't that the lot where the proposed Farmer's Market building would go?

Nope. The Public Market is going in the vent stack building directly atop Haymarket station.

Nope. The Public Market is going in the vent stack building directly atop Haymarket station.

Ah ok, thanks

Thought that was the Blackstone market/dead city museum parcel

Could be...apparently I've mixed up a couple of locations.

It's a shame that such a prime piece of land is laying empty like that. Sort of a tough to build on though due to its size and shape.

This is from a website I maintain advocating for transforming City Hall into an Intercollegiate Museum:

chp_overp.jpg

That would be fantastic. So much better than what we've got.

I meant the vacant lot accross from the garage in front of the North End nursing home

You're both right. The Haymarket Garage is definitely going to be farmers market, and the empty Blackstone parcel could be some sort of market as well depending on the final approval.

^Both of which have progressed painfully slow. We have another thread for those projects, but the signs about the market in the vent building have been there for years. It's pathetic, especially thinking how successful it would be.

^Both of which have progressed painfully slow. We have another thread for those projects, but the signs about the market in the vent building have been there for years. It's pathetic, especially thinking how successful it would be.

I think about this all the time. I know this is Boston where things move painfully slow but a half a decade to build a modest public market? There must be financing issues with that project. I remember seeing the detailed final proposal 2-3 years ago. This isn't a large project.

Jul 17, 2013, 11:57am EDT UPDATED: Jul 17, 2013, 3:10pm EDT
Neighborhoods like GC Garage project but say office tower is too tall
Thomas Grillo
Real Estate Editor
Boston Business Journal

The three neighborhoods abutting the Government Center Garage are raising questions about the height of the 48-story office tower proposed for the site.

While there’s broad support in the neighborhoods for replacing a portion of the Government Center Garage with a 2.4-million-square-foot mixed-use development at the edge of the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway, there are concerns that the 48-story proposed tower will overwhelm that section of the Hub.

In a letter to the Boston Redevelopment Authority, the North End/Waterfront Residents’ Association (NEWRA) said the 600-foot office tower is “unacceptable because it will increase shadows on the Greenway and our historical neighborhood, precisely at times of day and times and year when sunlight is most important.”

The seven page letter, which praises the transit-oriented project that would replace the 11-story concrete eyesore, also raises questions about the developer’s plan to trim the number of parking space for the project to 1,100 from 2,300 while bringing in more than 2,000 office workers and residential tenants to the new complex.

HYM Investment Group has proposed demolishing a portion of the 11-story garage to make way for six new buildings with 771 residences, 1.3 million square feet of office space, 1,100 parking spaces and 82,500 square feet of retail. Much of the garage at New Sudbury and New Chardon streets would be replaced with a 45-story apartment building, a 48-story office tower, a 24-story apartment building, a 23-story hotel and condominium building, a nine-story office building and a four-story retail property closer to the Greenway.

NEWRA is not the only neighborhood group with worries about height. Stephen Young, the Beacon Hill Civic Association’s board president, said his neighborhood is concerned about the height of the project’s tallest tower.

“A 600-foot tall building will create visability problems and it is being planned with out taking into account planning for all the rest of the area west of Congress Street up to Cambridge Street.” Young told the Boston Business Journal. “The city would not allow an institution to do this kind of planning without including the area’s plans for the next decade. But the garage is being allowed to be planned without considering the surrounding area to the west.”

The Downtown North Association, which represents commercial and residential tenants in the West End and Bulfinch Triangle neighborhoods, also noted worries about height. “We suggested that any of required density might be accommodated in the shorter buildings so that the tallest building might be reduced in height,” said Robert O’Brien, the group’s executive director.

Thomas O’Brien, HYM’s founder, said he reviewing the comment letters. “The bottom line is people feel that we’ve put forward a very thoughtful and much appreciated proposal and like any project there’s some tweaking needs to be done to bring it to the next phase.”

O’Brien declined to say whether he would lower the height of the tower. In the past, he has said his proposal is 20 percent less dense than the previous plan proposed for the site by Ted Raymond.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2013/07/neighborhoods-like-gc-garage-project-but.html

Back