Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development

sigh

fuck these assholes.

I really have no idea how this process works. Do these committees actually have a say in the building, or is it more of suggestions that the BRA can say "that's nice, but we're going with the plan as is anyways".

From what I've heard on this board, it seems this project will move forward relatively quickly, so i don't know how much time they will take to revise the plan.

They have no authority. At best they might be able to claim an "advisory" role, but really what these groups excel at is making lots of noise.

Vampires are apparently a huge problem in the North End of Boston.

Who knew?

I am almost certain that tower is not getting chopped. That tower could be 2000ft and it still wouldn't detract from whatever historical charm these nuts are talking about. Thank you O'Brien for politely telling them to go fuck off.

I love how a tall building is presumed to cause "visibility problems" as if it were a permanent fog, perpetual darkness, or astigmatism.

No doubt these people bring their bat sonars to New York and Chicago. And Dubai? Too dark and frigid with all those burj shadows, so remember your winter coat!

Also, who these useful jerks think they are that they can call it "unacceptable"? That is not their right to say that.

Maybe China can build a replica of 19th Century Boston and all these complainers can move there.

Maybe China can build a replica of 19th Century Boston and all these complainers can move there.

Not enough green space.

Not enough parking.

Too urban.

Too crowded.

Too polluted.

They want a version of Boston that's never existed.

They want Weston. And they should all move there. Good riddance.

LOL.

The neighborhood associations are for the most part comprised of property-owners, taxpayers, and voters. And if they're wealthy taxpayers, that heighten's their sense of self-importance. Money talks.

They, the developers, and city don't give a rodent's behind about the viewpoints and perspectives of 95 percent of the posters on this thread.

That said, some of their reported concerns are either nebulous, e.g., future development on Beacon Hill, or ill-formed, e.g. shadows on the green spaces of the Greenway (requires the sun to change position). These are easily rebuffed. A more interesting one is the concern about the loss of parking spaces.

The neighborhood groups are purely advisory, but: A) BRA is legally obligated to take what they say into consideration (whatever that means. It's pretty nebulous, but no one wants to get sued); and B) the same people on the neighborhood groups are the same people politicians look at when campaign time comes and they need money, help, door knockers, organizing, etc. So their influence is more soft than hard power, but it's definitely there.

I think anything built would look better than Congress Street Garage. Besides Waterside Place.

haha thanks

It was getting close to the closing bell, which meant my work was about to get a little hectic, so I had to think of something clear, concise, and to the point.

fuck these assholes.

It doesn't matter what the NIMBY says at this point. O'Brien was part of the Menino club. This will get signed off before the Mayor leaves office.

O'Brien will get the Green light for this project.

Last edited:

haha thanks

It was getting close to the closing bell, which meant my work was about to get a little hectic, so I had to think of something clear, concise, and to the point.

well done sir

Is there a NIMBY handbook available on Amazon that I do not know about? I hear the same stuff for every project in Boston (and NYC, too) about "visibility", things being "too tall", etc.

I think the developers should go in to the next "community meeting" and slip Gary Barnett's proposed 1,550 ft tower at 225 W57th Street in NYC into the presentation and see how many of those clowns faint.

Back