Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Re: Congress Street Garage Development

Does anyone know what are some of the updates on this project. I think this is the best upcoming project in Boston. Check out the towers that won:
http://www.cookplusfox.com/

GCG.jpg

Too iconic! :mad:

Does anyone know what are some of the updates on this project.

I'm assuming that the developers have been finalizing (or trying to) the funding (good luck!) and the architects have been working on more concrete plans.

Patience.

I'm assuming that the developers have been finalizing (or trying to) the funding (good luck!) and the architects have been working on more concrete plans.

Patience.

i think i read somewhere that funding has already been procured, as their funders had surprisingly not been hit hard by the recession. they are really just waiting on approval.
lets cross our fingers...

Too iconic! :mad:

i always thought that boston needed just one really iconic building (like seattle's space needle, or san fran's pyramid tower) to really light a fire in the collective asses of bostonians, and therefore spur greater development. hopefully this will do it.

ps- i was never really a fan of the kingston st proposal-- it wasnt that impressive to me... but i really dislike the fact they are demolishing yet another beautiful old building.

more from the architect's website:

3887159989_e712b12ea8_o.jpg

3887955940_c42b2c2c59_o.jpg

Wait, castellated beams? What kind of structural engineer would possibly make that much design sense?

AND...a raised floor air delivery system for the office tenants - how Euro!

OH NOEZ LOOK AT ALL THOSE SHADOEZ!!!

This is awesome!

so obviously it will never happen.

It will "happen," just with 15 fewer stories and far more boring architecture, completed by a cheaper firm.

Oh, and NIMBYs will point to the shadows it cast on the "sacred" public space at Government Center for the next 25 years as an example of what they don't want in their neighborhood.

I'm waiting for the legions of apologist and "NOTHING IS EVER WRONG WITH DEAR MODERNIST HEROIC FATHERS OF ARCHITECTURE!" lemmings in academia to come out of the woodwork, explaining how the garage is of epic importance to preserving the cultural integrity of the modern movement and must be saved. Meanwhile the Shreve's building will become a parking lot, like the Gaiety Theater, for 20 years and only crickets will fill the silent void.

man i'm going to be so depressed if this doesn't get built as is. It is so beautiful.

Please forgive my skepticism; I love this project and hope it gets built as rendered (including the height) but this IS Boston after all...

It will "happen," just with 15 fewer stories and far more boring architecture, completed by a cheaper firm.
Yup, I would be stunned if the height wasn't reduced. And when it is, the apologists will say Boston doesn't need tall buildings yadda yadda yadda..."

I'll make a gentlemen?s bet on this one........ I'm betting this project goes through, starts soon (that's a relative term in the construction world) and is approved almost "as is" with regards to not only the developers criteria, but also the city's. This is the first and only project I've seen in Boston that has been so transparent in the planning process with the neighborhood and public. The developer held 6 public meeting in which they asked the city "what do you want" prior to the Article 80 review.

1) Funding is there?? Who do you think paid for the garage in 2007? It wasn?t Raymond. I?ll give you guys a hint??? I) The National Electrical Benefit Fund who ?with nearly $12 billion in net assets, NEBF ranks as the third largest Taft-Hartley pension fund in the U.S. This solid asset base delivers financial security for more than 80,000 retired beneficiaries today, and is a building block which will secure the retirement of future generations of workers in the electrical industry.? And???. II) The Lewis Trust Group who ?has worldwide interests in retailing, leisure, financial services, and property. Acorn Asset Management, Inc., the headquarter company for U.S. subsidiaries of the Lewis Trust Group, is an active investor in numerous U.S. markets including Boston. The firm is responsible for 85 companies that currently own or invest in joint-venture projects comprising 1.8 million square feet of office and retail developments, three large hotels, and 203 acres of undeveloped land in various stages of predevelopment.?

2) The City of Boston knows it?s got to build something soon so as to boost our local job market in this economy. Any the mayor is so angry about the Filene?s fiasco.

3) The developer is pushing for a Silver LEED certification, and we all know about the ?Green? push these days.

Lastly, please please please just remember that the rendering you see are ONLY MASSINGS. Give it time and let this project develop before you beat it down.

Ok, So who wants to take the other side????

Didnt Menino say Congress st proposal and the aquarium proposal were too tall and they would be studying the area around the greenway and that they would have to "drastically" change their plans? Or was that a nightmare I had?

Menino is a fool, n'est-ce pas?

Back