Bulfinch Triangle Infill & Small Projects

Will Lowell Street also be rebuilt? These streets still bear the marks of the elevated Green Line that used to run above them.

Will Lowell Street also be rebuilt? These streets still bear the marks of the elevated Green Line that used to run above them.

Lowell Square and Lomasney Way are included.

Lowell Square and Lomasney Way are included.

BeeL -- This is apparently a fairly major redo of the street

It's too bad in a way that the project will be planned independent of any definitive plans for the developoment of the site on the footprint of the old Boston Garden'

But apparently, this road project has its own schedule -- so if in the mean-time the building project gets going -- well there could be a lot of disruption for the next 5 years

The Causeway Street Reconstruction project is expected to reach the 100% design level by the winter of 2012.

Construction will potentially take place during the 2015 and 2016 construction seasons, depending upon T.I.P. priorities and funding allocation.

and then there are the other projects immediately adjacent to the Causeway St. redo:
1) Lovejoy Wharf / old Submarine Signal Building
2) the Charlestown Bridge redo

[/quote]

I'll be going to this meeting. I'll be shouting about the Tip O'Neil's bollards in the middle of the sidewalk. *insert Abe Simpson shouting at cloud*

Are there any plans or a timetable for a redo of the charlestown bridge. I imagine with the planned pedestrian bridges from north point and the lovejoy wharf project that its not a bad time to sink some capital in this project.

Dare I say add a bike lane? That metal grate gets very slippery when wet

That whole stretch is screaming out for work, so any disruptions are fine by me. My only "must have" is a median pedestrian island on the south side of N Washington. That's the crossing with the heaviest pedestrian traffic, but it's the only crossing without one.

Are there any plans or a timetable for a redo of the charlestown bridge. I imagine with the planned pedestrian bridges from north point and the lovejoy wharf project that its not a bad time to sink some capital in this project.

Dare I say add a bike lane? That metal grate gets very slippery when wet

Choo -- the Charlestown Bridge aka North Washington St. Bridge is on the list for the Accelerated Bridge Repair Program -- project should start about 4 years from now

BOSTON- BRIDGE REHABILITATION, B-16-016, NORTH WASHINGTON STREET OVER THE CHARLES RIVER
The North Washington Street Bridge is a historic structure constructed in 1898. The bridge consists of 10 approach spans and a swing span, which is not operational. The bridge is structurally deficient and is posted for restricted loads. There have been extensive emergency repairs done to the bridge in the past few years. Currently the two center lanes on the swing span are closed due to steel deterioration. The City of Boston proposes to rehabilitate the bridge. On the approach spans this rehabilitation will include replacement of the existing concrete deck slabs and sidewalks with lightweight reinforced concrete and replacement of all deteriorated structural steel, which will amount to approximately 37% of all floor beams and 50% of all stringers. At the swing spans, the rehabilitation will include replacement of all floor beams and stringers and replacement of the open metal grating with an Exodemic deck with lightweight concrete. Also proposed is the complete deleading and repainting of the entire structure.
Design Responsibility: Municipality
Right of Way Responsibility: Municipality
Construction Begins: Spring 2016
Project Manager: Gautam Sen [Email MassHighway]
Estimated Construction Cost: $50,600,000.00
MassHighway District: District 6
Current Status: This project is in the preliminary design phase

4 years from now doesn't sound very "accelerated" to me.

At least one of the Occupy Boston marches came here with people holding 'Fix This Bridge' posters.

4 years from now doesn't sound very "accelerated" to me.

At least one of the Occupy Boston marches came here with people holding 'Fix This Bridge' posters.

Ron -- When the North Washington Bridge gets finished in about 2017/18 the entire area will have been redone -- according to plans for stuff in various stages of approval:

1) both of the additional pedestrian bridges to connect the network of parks
2) the Rail Bascule Bridge
3) the old Spaulding site -- not sure what will happen here as Partners owns a bunch of land right around North Station
4) the Lovejoy Wharf and Submarine Signal Building condo/appartments
5) Causeway St. itself
6) the Bulfinch Triangle buidings currently under construction or in the process of approval for construction
7) perhaps even the site of the "ole Gahhhdin" -- hopefully once again making the connection from the T to the building on the inside

It might be time to dub the area the NEED -- North End Entertainment District or possibly the NSED -- North Station Entertainment District

I just hope that the ol Penalty Box Lounge manages to stay around in the new upscale, gentrified environment

Please, spare us yet more of your StuPID fucking acronyms.

Please, spare us yet more of your StuPID f**ing acronyms.

Briv that would be SFA

Sorry, having done a fair amount of work funded by several Federal Agencies including the DOD* -- acronyms are just embedded in my inner-most being

But I will try to limit the use of acronyms to accepted ones such as DTX

* for example the DOD through DARPA created a program to enhance the performance of integrated circuits in the 1980 time frame -- we've all benefited from the technology created through the VHSIC program -- Very High Speed Integrated Circuits. In the course of VHSIC, it became desireable to created a formal system for documentation of the designs which later was extended to using the tools to create the designs in a language which became known as VHDL where the V is VHSIC and the rest is Hardware Description Language. So you see -- acronyms are deeply embedded in my being.

BUT -- I will try to minimize their gratuitous usage.

Please, spare us yet more of your StuPID fucking acronyms.

Hear, hear. I'm still trying to figure out what the I in FID stands for, even though I don't really care.

screenshot20120718at538.png

Jesus the Greenway looks worse than ever in this view (not this building's fault; it does nothing to help or hurt).

I had to response to this picture of the rendering. The building looks like a giant lego defect. Instead of actually using the brand Legos this development was built by the generic brand of Legos (big logos)

Just looks like a huge glass aqua green wAll of big blocks knowing that a Shaws food market is at the center of the building. Truly a big giant POS.

Not big on this one.

I think the only piece of architecture in the works that adds some inspiration to Boston is Copley place development. The rest of these proposed taxpayer developments are 2nd rate or 3rd rate at best
I also understand that not every development needs to be a landmark or something Iconic. For example
Liberty Mutual Building being built will fit just right in the back bay area.

History will tell us that Boston architecture from 1995 thru 2016 was the most uninspiring building period throughout Boston's history of architecture.

Last edited:
I had to response to this picture of the rendering. The building looks like a giant lego defect. Instead of actually using the brand Legos this development was built by the generic brand of Legos (big logos)

Just looks like a huge glass aqua green wAll of big blocks knowing that a Shaws food market is at the center of the building. Truly a big giant POS.

Not big on this one.

I think the only piece of architecture in the works that adds some inspiration to Boston is Copley place development. The rest of these proposed taxpayer developments are 2nd rate or 3rd rate at best

Riff -- just wondering -- did you bother to looks at the video?

I'm guessing not -- as that would tend to expsoe you to the real state of things as opposed to your preconception as to how bad the project is in your mind

History will tell us that Boston architecture from 1995 thru 2016 was the most uninspiring building period throughout Boston's history of architecture.

Curious to know what happens in 2016 to bring Boston architecture back to 1994 (?) levels of greatness.

Back