Cambria Hotel | 6 West Broadway | South Boston

Re: Six West Broadway Hotel |South Boston

3 sides of this building are wonderful.

......and I applaud Beeline for largely ignoring the horrible 4th. (except for one on September 1st) :)

It has a sort of lower-grade Standard Hotel NYC look to it. Not that it is a bad thing. This one has come out nicely.

Yeah.

Here's the thing - I really like the legs, but I'm really dissappointed by how they meet the main volume of the building. There's no apparent connection - in terms of structure, volume, facade material, nothing.

44147716710_fc913c6cec_b.jpg

Compare to the Standard in NYC - there the upper volume responds to the concrete legs is a number of interesting ways.

800px-Standard_Hotel_from_southwest.jpg

Here - not so much.

29656406357_432a55ae53_b.jpg

not the prettiest thing to come around in recent years.

And it rather is missing ~8 or 10 floors give or take.

These are the first couple pieces of what will be many taller towers along dot ave.

Last edited:

Roof_Top_Bar.0.jpeg

“A soon-to-open South Boston hotel near the Broadway T stop will feature a rooftop restaurant run by a local hospitality group. Boston Nightlife Ventures — which operates Wink & Nod and Southern Kin Cookhouse — will open Six West in June at the Cambria Hotel, which is under construction at 6 West Broadway.

The project takes its name from the hotel’s address and will include a lobby lounge in addition to the rooftop deck, and there will be opportunities for live entertainment.”

Yet another rooftop bar... and live enternainment.. on the roof! Count me in. Im loving all these rooftop venues around the city, theres really nothing like it, the more the merrier.

https://boston.eater.com/platform/amp/2019/3/25/18280906/south-boston-rooftop-bar-six-west-cambria-hotel

Wink and Nod is a special spot, hopefully they can recreate that magic here. Several of their other spots have not done so well in recent years including Certified Meatball, which was actually fantastic I was sad to see that go

Slight improvement over The Cornerstone.

Their website is showing a start-date of June 30, 2019 availability but I'll re-up my prediction that this will never open.

Related, the condo sales next door at 12-16 W Broadway seems to be slow with only ~14 of 42 units closing according to the Suffolk Deeds site. There was a gap of a couple of months before the three or so that closed this week so perhaps they're just not done with all the interiors but .. would you spend a million dollars (yes) to look from your condo at a hotel room about 20 feet away, with no direct sunlight??!

Its hard to believe that 6 W Broadway and 14 W. Broadway are by the same architect and same developer. For 6 W. Broadway, I took a quick tour of Cardiff Wales (Cambria) to see if I could spot the original. Alas, Cardiff was even more depressing.

Back