Cambria Hotel | 6 West Broadway | South Boston

Re: Six West Broadway Hotel |South Boston

Um .. what to say.

This I really think that the quiet organized restraint on this is quite nice. I feel like I know where the "this is ugly" comes from but I would urge to look at this as a really elegantly dressed individual who is not bending under the weight of trends and tropes. Its simple, but not dumb. Its quiet but thoughtful. It has just enough (the bend in the facade and the expressive column) to show that it has a bit of sparkle.

I really appreciate the approach and I would challenge people to see that this has as much thoughtfulness involved as a brick punched window buildings with some copper bay windows and a limestone sills, cornice, keystones.

Lets go with elegant.

cca

Ps. The more I look at it the more I like it. Biggest surprise I have had since the sailors chapel in the seaport.

The Revere and Sheraton Towers need re-cladding badly.

This is better than ok. But a bit stern and drab.... slightly below the standard of my usual 'this will be fine.'

The damage 50's/60's/70's hotels did to America can not easily be measured.

How about an implosion and complete rebuild instead? Take out the Westin and Marriott while they're at it. The Back Bay hotel towers have all not aged well at all.

This one looks like a cheap knock off of the Athens Hilton.

Seeing this from 93, two thoughts: 1) this thing really stands out from there, the white being a clear break from the surrounding buildings, and 2) the window pattern looks straight 1960s meh.

The cohesive simplicity of this is a welcome relief from the plague of "one building-multiple facades" going up everywhere.

The cohesive simplicity of this is a welcome relief from the plague of "one building-multiple facades" going up everywhere.

Im glad you pointed that out because I was really not liking this but that is definitely a saving grace. I too am fed up with not only multiple facades but a lack of cohesion in the massing of buildings. This at least has both of that, and the top part going up now actually adds a lot as it is now so I think this will end up better than I expected.

While true, I don't understand why it has to look like either an old boring office building or some kind of factory.

I think this looks really sharp.

Looks great from 93. Nice little area springing up at a transit stop, just like it should be.

Oohhhhh ok this is its best angle. When juxtaposed with 14 W Broadway, and on the thin end, it really does look alright. I was originally a little annoyed that they didn't directly abut each all the way through, but that gap is kind of cool.

I'm excited to see what material will be used on those pillars at the ground level.

43998010791_ddb9b18bfc_h.jpg

43998011811_92f1febd67_h.jpg

Major Success!

Transit, oriented, dense, housing, Check.

Major Success!

Transit, oriented, dense, housing, Check.

Agreed. Thus far I have zero criticism and a fair amount of praise for the project. Thumbs up owner/designer/builder team.

cca

Back