Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

The good thing about these cardboard boxes is its just a cheap little placeholder 2 story building. It can be demolished very easily and replaced with something better. Yes it would have been a lot better to be building an apartment building on the property now, but I dont see this lasting long once the neighborhood is built out and people move in.

From your lips to God's ears.

Given the location, that REI Co-op building is an abomination.

Yes: look back through my old postings, please.

I used to post images, commentary, and some engineering background since I (fairly regularly) speak with folks at DivCo (and I have lived here for nearly a decade).

But after years of negative comments I stopped.

I understand that we're not always going to agree on what constitutes beautiful contributions to urban neighborhoods.

But I'd rather enjoy my home than expend resources editing contributions simply to fuel more criticism about how much of a mistake CX was/is. And I do enjoy it: despite my community's "visual blight" characteristics.

Is this an area where some height was restricted?

I used to post images, commentary, and some engineering background since I (fairly regularly) speak with folks at DivCo (and I have lived here for nearly a decade).

I understand that we're not always going to agree on what constitutes beautiful contributions to urban neighborhoods.

But I'd rather enjoy my home than expend resources editing contributions simply to fuel more criticism about how much of a mistake CX was/is. And I do enjoy it: despite my community's "visual blight" characteristics.

I don’t in any way share DZ’s opinion about the entirety of Cambridge Crossing. Just the wasteful (and insulting) locating of that REI next to the T Station.

I would give my right arm to live in Cambridge Crossing.

Last edited:
B6D08021-59A7-496D-B68C-7FD3565C7D2C.jpeg
C75E89C0-9E6A-4A56-9D9C-203F2C5FB3F2.jpeg
62719E6B-EA2B-4A9F-8809-097506684562.jpeg
CD962903-5E21-441F-8A8D-5128744F321B.jpeg
60F68049-16AE-4E7B-ADD8-108B83690911.jpeg
55BD8747-8EAF-4F14-8099-68470BF2A275.jpeg
794CDCBF-B659-412A-8DA3-79CD6958FFCF.jpeg
62EAA164-A428-42A3-95F8-796990823D04.jpeg

Driving past I couldn’t help but think, wow, so many cities would kill to have this development!

I am sure I'm not the only one who sincerely misses and appreciated such contributions (but also of course respects your decision).

Well put. We miss you!

please keep posting Ivy.

I think this is a very good development.
My wife works there and we live in east Somerville, cant wait till the community path opens.
I'm not sure what people expected but compared to what was there 10 years ago, this is great!
All you have to do is go to one of those Summer concerts in the park to see how much life is there, and that's without the tall residential building open.

I also like the way the height is stepping up as it moves away from the tracks, It draws you in, and the big bio tech buildings are tucked away in the back.
I've no problem with the REI building. It's located right on the community path, almost like a starting point to a path that goes out to Concord.
It doesn't bother me in the slightest that it's not ground floor retail in a massive glass box. The scale is right.

In an age of everything being VE'd in to banality this might not be perfect but it is a very good mix of life and work.
When it's finished it will be a more desirable place to hang out/work/live than Assembly or most other new urban villages.

Keep posting, I'd say more people than you think enjoyed your first hand updates.

I purchased a condo in the Tango Building in 2006 (pre-construction). I knew that eventually this area would fill in with buildings but that it would take a long time. Over the years I have watched each building go up and anticipated the next expansion. Even with the development unfinished we are at a much better place than back in 2006 when most of the area was wasteland. Maybe the buildings could have looked better and been a little taller but the original plans had the maximum heights in place so that we did not expect any 40-story condo buildings. However, I do agree that the REI store could have been at the ground level of a taller building. I have enjoyed living at Cambridge Crossing and friends that have not been here in a while are amazed at the construction. Bristol Myers Squibb, Sanofi, Philips and Cerevel are working on life saving equipment and medications. Tatte, Cafe Beatrice, Lamplighter and Geppetto are great restaurant/bakery/brewery additions. There is much more to come. The neighborhood has not been finished yet.

I purchased a condo in the Tango Building in 2006 (pre-construction). I knew that eventually this area would fill in with buildings but that it would take a long time. Over the years I have watched each building go up and anticipated the next expansion. Even with the development unfinished we are at a much better place than back in 2006 when most of the area was wasteland. Maybe the buildings could have looked better and been a little taller but the original plans had the maximum heights in place so that we did not expect any 40-story condo buildings. However, I do agree that the REI store could have been at the ground level of a taller building. I have enjoyed living at Cambridge Crossing and friends that have not been here in a while are amazed at the construction. Bristol Myers Squibb, Sanofi, Philips and Cerevel are working on life saving equipment and medications. Tatte, Cafe Beatrice, Lamplighter and Geppetto are great restaurant/bakery/brewery additions. There is much more to come. The neighborhood has not been finished yet.

I like the area a lot and have found myself over there several times in the past year (Lamplighter was the catalyst, but is not the only destination anymore). I think the REI hate is a little unfair. It's contextual with most of the other buildings at that intersection which I think were designed to create an open, airy, and inviting retail gateway to the larger development. It "grows" upward and outward from there (second thumbnail is the intersection in question: https://tangram3ds.com/vr/1999DCW/05/tour.html) and I personally enjoy the effect rather than just immediately entering a sea of Seaportesque boxes after crossing under the GLX overpass. There's plenty of height and density throughout the development, this corner is a welcome contrast. Even now, in its partially built out state, it's a pretty neat area.

Maybe once the lots next to REI are filled in with the apartment building and lab space it will not seem so out of place. The Shed (Lexington, Lamplighter) are part of the central park. The small one-story building next to Park 151 is associated with that building. The REI building is just out there by itself for now. Anyway, I appreciate the early investments in Cambridge Crossing. Even Tenoch Mexican opened in one of the former Museum Towers after a few years of delay.

I get a "Mid-Century Revival" vibe from the materials in the first couple of buildings, almost like Charles River Park. The Hult House (Education Building 2) continues the language into the park area. With all the condos and the park, I could see the area being attractive to young families that work in the area; until they out grow the condo. Very nice. Also the Hult House has a great climbing wall!

Sierra condos.JPG
Tango Condominium (2).JPG

North Point.JPG

Tango Condominium (3).JPG
Tango Condominium (4).JPG

Hult House.JPG
Hult House (2).JPG

Last edited:
441 Morgan Avenue Science -Tech Bldg Working in the fog.
441 Morgan Avenue Science -Tech Bldg (5).JPG

441 Morgan Avenue Science -Tech Bldg (4).JPG

441 Morgan Avenue Science -Tech Bldg (3).JPG

441 Morgan Avenue Science -Tech Bldg (2).JPG

Cool to see my old office building is still standing from my Carter Burgess days. Originally a Maple Leaf hot dog factory, I think it was Sumner Schein prior to CB and Jacobs afterwards.

IMG_7170.JPG

Last edited:

Back