Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Re: NorthPoint Cambridge (The one that was train yards, the big plan.)

In Boston that design would be value engineered into two separate mid-rise buildings.

It looks disturbingly like a terrorist attack. The new mural on the Greenway ventilation building would go well with it.

I do not see the connection. The mural is a picture of a boy wrapped with his jacket.

Here we go again...

Methinks this Education First building may be the tip of an awful trend iceberg: conventional designs cleaved in half with "clever" interventions:

http://www.architizer.com/en_us/blog/dyn/56868/bjarke-ingels-tears-his-florida-condos-in-half/

I have to say this one is actually nicer looking. I think I like it. Definitely alot more interesting than what is proposed here at North Point.

And I didn't think terrorist attack at all after looking at it for 2 minutes. IDK how someone could come up with that. Since when has a building ever split like this? And as a result of a terrorist attack?

I do not see the connection. The mural is a picture of a boy wrapped with his jacket.

That's what you see, and that may be the artist's intent. To me it looks like a terrorist, as it does to many others.

I apologize for the non-PC response.

I'm sorry, but, f__k bjarke ingels.

That's not a building that looks like a terrorist attack.

THIS is a building that looks like a terrorist attack.

_57296294_jex_1263028_de27-1.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16162789

Out of all the funniest things in the world that are not "HaHa" funny, this thread page is the funnier.

Cambridge-20121031-00054.jpg

That picture makes it look like Cambridge is just a front yard, some towers in the park and a mess of elevated roadways.

That picture makes it look like Cambridge is just a front yard, some towers in the park and a mess of elevated roadways.

East Cambridge pretty much is what you just described.

Well no, most of East Cambridge is a tight street grid of small houses on small lots.

^^That picture is really is part of Lechemere, a distinct section withing East Cambridge, bordered by the Middlesex County court houses and lower McGrath/O'Brien highway. The rest of East Cambridge up to Inman Sq, is a densely packed, wood structured neighborhood. And even within E. Cambridge there used to be distinct neighborhoods based on ethnicity. The original Catholic churches there (of which there were many more than today) reflected this diversity. The tendency to meld new projects and developments as parts of existing neighborhoods is unfortunate and unnecessary when they ought to take on an identity of their own.

East Cambridge was Italian, Irish and Portuguese. I grew up in Inman Sq and Arlington. Even though our ancestry is Irish my father always played Italian music. Years latter I asked him why and he said when he grew up only the Italians had record played and so that was the music he grew up with.

My father grew up on Warren St and I was born on 5th St. next to the old barrel yard (now a park). My cousin had a chicken house on Warren St. In addition there were at least 2 bakeries, a produce store, a sausage factory, a penny candy shop, a club house, at least one barroom, and my aunt's dry cleansers all on this little street. We were immersed in all that was Italian, went to St. Anthony's church/school, to Mike the barber and visited the religious goods store filled with Infant of Prague statues and costumes. But there were also a lot of Poles and Lithuanians, as well as Portugese and Irish in E. Cambridge through mid-century. It's still a lively neighborhood....any place that has a chicken house (still on Cambridge St.) where one can buy fresh kills is a great place!

When I took the commuter rail north on Sunday I noticed that some work was being done there. I also thought I spotted some sort of mock-up way over by, probably, the corner of North Point Boulevard and East Street. It was far off and quickly obscured by the large MBTA train shed over there, so I can't be sure. Anyone walk by there often enough to know if there's something happening in that area as well?

Not good, not bad...most importantly, the street interaction looks decent so overall +1

Boston Herald said:
Builders get to the Point
Construction under way on Cambridge complex
January 18, 2013

By Greg Turner / Boston Herald

Work has started on a 20-story apartment tower at NorthPoint, as the massive $2 billion development comes alive in Cambridge.

Action on the building, which will feature 355 luxury units and ground-floor retail, is a long-awaited sign of progress for Boston’s HYM Investment Group and its financial team.

“What HYM is saying is, we’re real, we’ve got real capital, we can build spectacular buildings — we’re on our way,” said Joseph Flaherty, managing partner at Colliers International, who noted the milestone at the real estate firm’s annual trends forum yesterday.

A key feature of the tower is an elevated park and staircase that provides pedestrian access between the Gilmore Bridge and the NorthPoint property about two stories below. The bridge runs from the O’Brien Highway over to the MBTA’s Orange Line and into Charlestown.

“I think it’s a pretty elegant design for what is a challenging site right up against a bridge,” said Brian Murphy, Cambridge’s assistant city manager. “It will improve the connections between the Orange Line and the site.”

HYM and partners — Canyon-Johnson Urban Funds, a venture that includes
Los Angeles Lakers legend Earvin “Magic” Johnson; Atlas Capital Group and property owner Pan Am — took over NorthPoint in 2010, following legal and financial delays.

“We expect to deliver the building in about 30 months,” said HYM managing director Tom O’Brien, adding that the tower will help meet strong demand for apartments. “It’s one of only a handful of buildings under way in Cambridge.”
LINK

Back