Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Re: NorthPoint Cambridge (The one that was train yards, the big plan.)

Doesn't look to bad in the render. Though, a render and the final product are two different things.

I'm looking forward to the Gilmore Bridge connection. Will they also need to provide a public elevator alongside the stairs, for ADA reasons?

I'm looking forward to the Gilmore Bridge connection. Will they also need to provide a public elevator alongside the stairs, for ADA reasons?

The NorthPoint Master Plan did include an elevator for bridge access, but I can't remember if it was in this building.

Where exactly is this building going up? North side of the bridge, right along the interior park they built?

^^ Yes, north of the Gilmore bridge and just to the east of the park.

It's offical, work has begun on a 20 story residential tower. Saw the earth movers yesterday as I walked the Gilmore bridge.

http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2013/01/builders_get_point

northpoint tower

Are there any other renders of this? Could be decent, but could also be some fat, L-shaped thing. Can't quite tell.

Overall the architecture of the Lechmere / North Point area is far superior to the Seaport though. Is it the extra five or so floors of height that allow these buildings all to come off a little slimmer, the size of the parcels, or merely just better architects/developers?

^Yes.

Why does the Zakim appear to be miles away in the background?

I believe so. Those links show that the backside of this project has a nifty chamfer... it's different. I like it.

402904cf25ab941214d92d61954178e1.jpg

Will put this in the plus column for now but only in pencil. Could turn out to be something of a lump.

I'd say that other than the new Lechmere Station that the area is supposed to get, this building and its connection to the Gilmore Bridge will be one of the most crucial points of access yet. And I suppose that is precisely why this particular building is being built now, and the rest will follow suit rather quickly.

EDIT: By the way, why doesn't the south side of the bridge have a sidewalk, too? This has always bothered me... :( Eastbound only needs one lane, to be honest.

EDIT: By the way, why doesn't the south side of the bridge have a sidewalk, too? This has always bothered me... :( Eastbound only needs one lane, to be honest.

Even more confounding to me, is whats up with the stairs to nowhere at the community college side?

Even more confounding to me, is whats up with the stairs to nowhere at the community college side?

I've wondered the same. I assume there was a ped overpass to the station that was demolished long ago (perhaps during the Big Dig)?

Which stairs?

There was, it was a mugger's paridise!

There was a pedestrian bridge across the Gilmore bridge at Community College station, serving a bus stop on the eastbound side. I don't remember anymore what bus used to stop there. I think it was demolished after an overheight vehicle damaged it.

No, this is not what they showed us at the condo meeting although I really like the look. The building is much closer to the Gilmore bridge and is more square in design.

When I took the commuter rail north on Sunday I noticed that some work was being done there. I also thought I spotted some sort of mock-up way over by, probably, the corner of North Point Boulevard and East Street. It was far off and quickly obscured by the large MBTA train shed over there, so I can't be sure. Anyone walk by there often enough to know if there's something happening in that area as well?
The mock up is not part of anything in NorthPoint. We were told that it is for a building under construction in Kendall Square.

Are there any other renders of this? Could be decent, but could also be some fat, L-shaped thing. Can't quite tell.

Overall the architecture of the Lechmere / North Point area is far superior to the Seaport though. Is it the extra five or so floors of height that allow these buildings all to come off a little slimmer, the size of the parcels, or merely just better architects/developers?

I took another look at a photo that I took of a model we were shown in our condo meeting and it is L-shaped. The rendering pretty much matches the model.

Back