Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Re: NorthPoint Cambridge (The one that was train yards, the big plan.)

We were notified today that Avalon near NorthPoint is going to start construction on Phase II in a few weeks. Divco West is going to start construction about this time next year on one biotech building, two apartment (or condo) towers and small retail buildings that will all be built closest to the central park. This year they will continue with roads and infrastructure although they would like to start the foundation of the biotech building this fall if possible. More meetings to follow once they have drawings and models.

Will this affect nsrl?

Thanks, missed it.

One of the holes they dug on Monday (after demolishing the little building) filled with water last night. Yuck. Directly across from Tango (perhaps four feet deep).*

*Edited to note: it filled with water yesterday, when it was dry, before this early morning's rain...

I went back a few pages but couldn't find anything about what will happen here. Is this all prep for buildings yet-to-be-designed per Tango's comment above?

Awww, but where is Cambridge going to put all of its snow, next winter?

This [PDF] looks like the most recent rendering of Avalon North Point Phase 2. Anyone got anything more recent?

I drove by recently and saw what looked like an elevated concrete structure for the future green line extension...I thought all work was halted, anyone know?

Awww, but where is Cambridge going to put all of its snow, next winter?

This [PDF] looks like the most recent rendering of Avalon North Point Phase 2. Anyone got anything more recent?

The documents that they provided to us at the meeting were revised, though the primary elements are very similar. There were changes to the building's materials (real masonry!), windows, landscaping, and common & public areas. And the north building will terminate in more of a triangular shape, which will include the coffee house (or similar) at the base of the stairs to the south Green Line headhouse. The structures' orientation, and most of the height details, are similar, though.

I don't have the means to scan the pack of (legal size) plan docs, though.

Edit - during the harsh winter two years ago, there was no snow from our development piled there. The piles resulted from the plowing that Avalon did to keep their kaka parking lot open on the south side so the A. Martins and R. Royces had somewhere to park. :p

I drove by recently and saw what looked like an elevated concrete structure for the future green line extension...I thought all work was halted, anyone know?

Indeed, they stopped for much of the third and fourth (calendar) quarters of last year. Periodically, however, we watched folks building, measuring, grating, etc. Over the last few weeks they've moved in a fair amount of heavy equipment and rebar (including crane pieces on Sunday evening that I could no longer see from S+T last night). A few dog walks to Zinc over the last few weeks revealed that they were definitely doing something with the pillars all along the line down past Superior Nut, though, and it looked like there were at least two new ones!

Stupid question, do they still process nuts at Superior Nut? I see people going in and out of the building, so I assume it is still a viable operation?

Stupid question, do they still process nuts at Superior Nut? I see people going in and out of the building, so I assume it is still a viable operation?

I wondered the same thing so I checked online and found relatively recent reviews of folks who really like the product that was shipped to them so perhaps so? Trailer trucks are there sometimes, too, but have a very strict arrival/departure schedule (might have something to do with traffic patterns on Rt-28).

Thanks! (And thanks for not doing this. :))

I doubt it. I think the institutional insane asylums pretty much shut down in the 60's and 70's.

Weak punning aside,

From the whole nut, or the cracked nut:

In 1979 the company moved it's operations to a modern 4 story plant in Cambridge, Massachusetts where it is currently producing a broad range of nut products in many different packaging sizes. Its customer base has expanded to include every type of business that serves every food consumer market. Distribution is coast to coast and overseas.
http://www.superiornut.com/about-superior-nut.html

Hah! I always assumed Superior Nut made small metal parts (e.g., nuts, bolts, etc.).

It is something of a leftover of the historical chocolate business in Cambridge and Charlestown.

Back