Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Re: NorthPoint Cambridge (The one that was train yards, the big plan.)

Cambridge office rents are at all-time highs and office vacancy is at an all-time low. According to JLL last month, there are only three vacant spaces of greater than 20,000 sq.ft in the entire city. Kendall office rents are above $70, and it's by no means all uses that won't work in a high-rise.

If any city has demand for tall office development, it's San Francisco. But if it's not San Francisco, it's Cambridge.

Pursuing the magical latent demand dragon has its drawbacks too - however, if we are proposing that, then I say go crowded, not tall. The initial HYM plans were decent, but still an updated take on the towers + park - if there ever was a community that fell victim to thinking the nature was the solution to bad urbanism (or what's Kunstler's line on that?), it's Cambridge. The open space in the original Northpoint plan is gratuitous, the Esplanade, NPP, the River are all within easy access - there's a reason to have a "common", but I don't think it's worth it. I'd rather see an attempt at a proper urban neighborhood (you know..because...the parcel does lie in between three of the densest areas in the Northeast) than a supertall. Tower might increase FAR, but let's be honest, there's no way Cambridge lets a 600+ footer be anything more than just a really big tower in a really big park. How much do people here enjoy walking down Charlestown Ave or O'Brien by those towers? That's what you get when you go tall in open space in Cambridge. Save tall for a place they can't fuck it up (like Volpe).

Pursuing the magical latent demand dragon has its drawbacks too - however, if we are proposing that, then I say go crowded, not tall. The initial HYM plans were decent, but still an updated take on the towers + park - if there ever was a community that fell victim to thinking the nature was the solution to bad urbanism (or what's Kunstler's line on that?), it's Cambridge. The open space in the original Northpoint plan is gratuitous, the Esplanade, NPP, the River are all within easy access - there's a reason to have a "common", but I don't think it's worth it. I'd rather see an attempt at a proper urban neighborhood (you know..because...the parcel does lie in between three of the densest areas in the Northeast) than a supertall. Tower might increase FAR, but let's be honest, there's no way Cambridge lets a 600+ footer be anything more than just a really big tower in a really big park. How much do people here enjoy walking down Charlestown Ave or O'Brien by those towers? That's what you get when you go tall in open space in Cambridge. Save tall for a place they can't fuck it up (like Volpe).

The common down the middle is a nice feature. Commons and pocket parks are what "proper" urban neighborhoods should have. Otherwise it probably isn't an actual neighborhood, but rather merely a place to house and employ people while they are figuring out how to go someplace else.

Tall shouldn't automatically mean empty space in between though. Although, I could see it make more sense to go tall with 2 or three buildings and then keep everything else lower.

Are there any actual indications that the new owners will significantly alter the master plan? Based on the press release for the sale, it sounds like Divco will be moving forward with the existing plan (that is: 21st Century Stuytown).

The common down the middle is a nice feature. Commons and pocket parks are what "proper" urban neighborhoods should have. Otherwise it probably isn't an actual neighborhood, but rather merely a place to house and employ people while they are figuring out how to go someplace else.

Tall shouldn't automatically mean empty space in between though. Although, I could see it make more sense to go tall with 2 or three buildings and then keep everything else lower.

I won't pretend to be a bias sources vis a vis Cambridge parks - I grew up there, I've been kicked off of so many parks for annoying, if eminently reasonable reasons (didn't have a permit, after dark) and downright idiotic ("you can't play soccer here, this is a baseball field!") that it's hard to take a step back. Anytime some Cantab says "green space", my overwhelming reaction is skepticism. It's hard not to make generalizations, but my personal experience is that people prefer to have green to look at, not actually utilize. I don't think it's a systemic issue, because there are good spots (Winthrop Square, Cambridge Common, couple of pocket parks over in Coast). All fairly old, which is important for another reason:

I'd support a Common, but if you look at the parks that succeed in Cambridge - they're generally surrounded by decent density (as you pointed out). Busses is right, we have no reason to believe anything is going to change with the master plan, but if it were..., here's what I'd want to see happen: the greatest density directly abutting the park. The most successful parks in Cambridge aren't hidden away from the center of activity, they are the center of activity - as you said. I think it's worth noting those active parks tend to be older and more austere.

The analogy of a hurricane is stuck in my head - a "good" Common (in my biased opinion) in Northpoint sit at the eye of the hurricane, the densest development would sit directly adjacent in ring around the Common, and the smaller builds would peter out to the edge from their - the same way the heaviest winds in a hurricane are concentrated closest to the core.

This induces people to the area, provides a market for retail, which can then interact in a positive with the Common itself. Symbi-fucking-osis. Or is syner-fucking-gy? It's the basis for the good parks, the pocket parks, etc...Use the open space for all it's potential, don't just drop a glorified median in. Sure it's a nice upgrade, but it carries an opportunity cost. Anyways as Busses pointed out: best laid plans of mice and men and all that jazz....we're getting Stuytown-by-the-Expressway.

I've mentioned this before: the main park was originally 5 acres increased to 10 by activist demands. Then there is also all the parkland by Education First and numerous more smallish parks planned in the full buildout. What NP will not be is a fully realized urban neighborhood integrated into the rest of the city. What it will be is a defacto bedroom suburb with a few labs thrown in, a kind of cul-de-sac really.

I've mentioned this before: the main park was originally 5 acres increased to 10 by activist demands. Then there is also all the parkland by Education First and numerous more smallish parks planned in the full buildout. What NP will not be is a fully realized urban neighborhood integrated into the rest of the city. What it will be is a defacto bedroom suburb with a few labs thrown in, a kind of cul-de-sac really.

The joke among we who live in NP - and who frequently use the parks - is that NP faces challenges before the future labs, world class restaurants, and best-in-the-universe supertalls move in. Few folks know what is Zinc, and the five (joking) folks who have moved into the unfinished mess that is Twenty|20 are not vocal about espousing its ... uh, "retail". Many of us ride or train to Assembly and ask, "why not at Northpoint, where it's closer?". Even Avalon temporarily tabled its Phase III (or II, depending on whether you consider Maple Leaf as II or I.I - ha!) expansion. I don't doubt that development is slowly brewing. It's just *really slowly* brewing.

Look at the bright side - maybe something tall will be built: we locals would just think it a joke and not complain (not that I would, anyway)! Cheers!

It's not size that matters, it's what you do with it... Boston Common is about 50 acres, The Public Garden another 50. Central Park in Manhattan is over 800 acres. On the other end I've seen 2000 square feet work very well. 10 acres isn't that big for an area of this size and could work really well as long as nobody sees green and thinks it is a nature preserve.

NP is always going to be constrained on one side by the tracks, but no reason it shouldn't be well integrated with good connections towards Cambridge St. Once Lechmere Station is relocated, the Lechmere Square becomes a focal point to integrate this development into the city.

In addition to supertall, I would like to see more city block style development at the first 5 stories. And no I haven't seen any indication that the new owners are reconsidering anything, but I would be surprised if they weren't open to reevaluating plans based on lessons learned and changing market potential.

And no I haven't seen any indication that the new owners are reconsidering anything, but I would be surprised if they weren't open to reevaluating plans based on lessons learned and changing market potential.

Valid point. That doesn't mean better urban design though.

It's not size that matters, it's what you do with it... Boston Common is about 50 acres, The Public Garden another 50. Central Park in Manhattan is over 800 acres.
Well, yes size does matter. Your examples have the surrounding density to more or less justify all of the acreage, NP as of now doesn't even come close to doing that. Even at full buildout there will be what I would consider an excessive amount of open space. Why is this? I would say mostly it's loud, zealous activists with There's-no-such-thing-as-too-much-grass Disorder and the pols who refuse to stand up to them in a meaningful way.

Mark Johnson, currently VP of Harvard Capital Planning and Project Management will be leaving this month to become Director of Development for Divco West, a real estate development company which will be developing the Northpoint area of Cambridge.

Charlie_MTA once did a brilliant mockup of what it would look like if the east cambridge grid were extended to northpoint - charlie, you still out there?

Also, the 'common' has a lot to do with water management - the second coming of the millers river. I totally agree its anti-urban and gratuitous ('because landscape architecture!') but it may be moderately helpful to keep in mind that its also functional

Yes, and thank you. Still reading ArchBoston every day.

Charlie_MTA once did a brilliant mockup of what it would look like if the east cambridge grid were extended to northpoint - charlie, you still out there?

Also, the 'common' has a lot to do with water management - the second coming of the millers river. I totally agree its anti-urban and gratuitous ('because landscape architecture!') but it may be moderately helpful to keep in mind that its also functional

Does anybody know where one could find that? Or does anyone have a copy lying around somewhere?

There has been a soil pounder in the Avalon Phase III/IV area since last Wednesday night. It was loudly pounding this morning. Does anyone know if it is there for Avalon or the viaduct? (@Tango?)

Last edited:

Does anybody know where one could find that? Or does anyone have a copy lying around somewhere?

I just uploaded the North Point concepts I did a couple of years ago, located here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97144142@N07/

The first one is the plan view, the second one the perspective. Relocating O'Brien Highway would be part of the scheme.

I always had a place in my heart for East Cambridge; I lived there when I was a young lad and will be 66 years old in a few days. East Cambridge was a great classic Portuguese/Italian neighborhood back in the day, the early 1950's in my case. Absolutely loved it.

Something is afoot in the empty Northpoint parcels. There activity after months of nothing, and nearly all of the detritus piles that formed the area's drumlins have been removed. In fact, today heavy equipment was working on three distinct areas (parcels A&B, J&K, and between G&H) and there's still a bright work lamp illuminating the section between A & B tonight...

As owners, we have not heard anything from DivcoWest about near term development plans so this might be preparation for winter.

I just uploaded the North Point concepts I did a couple of years ago, located here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97144142@N07/

The first one is the plan view, the second one the perspective. Relocating O'Brien Highway would be part of the scheme.

I always had a place in my heart for East Cambridge; I lived there when I was a young lad and will be 66 years old in a few days. East Cambridge was a great classic Portuguese/Italian neighborhood back in the day, the early 1950's in my case. Absolutely loved it.

Charlie -- don't forget there was a Baltic Bakery with fantastic Rye Bread on Cambridge Street between 7th and 6th and on Otis Street in the 5th to 6th St. Block there was a St. Hedwigs [Jadwiga in Polish] a Polish Church -- now condos
DSC01424.JPG

Last edited:

today

green line?

Back