Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

They completely leased 250k of spec office over a year before completion, so I'm guessing they love the commercial market. Have they said anything about the timeline for Parcel I?

They completely leased 250k of spec office over a year before completion, so I'm guessing they love the commercial market. Have they said anything about the timeline for Parcel I?

Lot I will be a residential building with green space (one iteration showed the approved structure with theater-in-a-round concepts) and retail. Tentative early plans suggest construction will begin there after Lot W is complete, which accompanies the completion of JK and the park's north end rebuild. (There are quite a few diagrams online for all of these.)

*Moderators*, you might want to consider opening a thread for Cambridge Crossing Parcel EF (not Education First), since DivCo West began driving sheeting for the bathtub for that structure last week. Our weekly S+T construction update confirmed that construction had commenced. There is City of Cambridge approved imagery online. I-93, the Gilmore Bridge, Zinc, and Route 28 northbound should provide Lot EF viewing locations (especially through the viewports through the CX wrapping at the old MBTA lot just before the Glassworks condo building.

@Tango recalls that the outer ring of buildings (including Lots A, B, C, D, EF, G, H, U, R, Q1, Q2, and the elusive V) was originally to have been a second phase of construction completed after the inner ring grew retail, parking, and green space to accommodate a larger development footprint (Lots I1, I2, I3, JK, L+M, N, T, S, and W). However, when we brought DivCo to the annual board meeting, they affirmed they are adamant about pursuing growth opportunistically, which is why we've seen a push for EF, W, R, I1-3, G, and H.

Drugmaker Sanofi Genzyme is planning a major expansion in East Cambridge, the latest in a line of life sciences heavyweights to grow in the booming neighborhood.

Real estate industry brokers say the company has been looking for about 400,000 square feet of office and lab space — enough to house around 2,000 employees — and is reportedly zeroing in on Cambridge Crossing, the 45-acre former rail yard being redeveloped north of the Lechmere Green Line station.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines....html?event=event25&__twitter_impression=true

This would not surprise me. I said it when Phillips signed on. The dominoes will start falling fast at CX. They just needed that first big one to legitimize the development. The extended green line, particularly into Union square and the ongoing plans there, are going to open up a real new frontier here.

Going to make the push for direct mass transit between these hubs a lot realer and louder.
It's only a mile or so, but the shuttle buses are not going to cut it at full build.

Going to make the push for direct mass transit between these hubs a lot realer and louder.
It's only a mile or so, but the shuttle buses are not going to cut it at full build.

That would be amazing, but do they have the lineal right of way to dig?

Why aren't we seeing 15~18 floors of residential above some of these office towers,

or possibly even above some of the cubical *lab towers...

*(unlikely, i assume for a host of reasons).

Living where you work is obvious. But, instead of a few blocks over, why not just an elevator ride?

If what I'm hearing is true, this area will be king of the cranes later this year.
Could be as many as 6 or more sites under construction this year.
We shall see of course.

If what I'm hearing is true, this area will be king of the cranes later this year.
Could be as many as 6 or more sites under construction this year.
We shall see of course.

It's November 12th - - can you clarify "later this year"?

Lot EF has been under construction (piles, sheeting, then excavation) for almost two months. Lot JK blocks my view of Lot EF, but one can see the latter from the Gilmore Bridge or Zinc Apartments.

Lot W has changed composition, orientation, and elevation several times in the last few months as the drumlin for the park’s north end slowly accommodates the hundreds of cubic feet of groundwater control systems DivCo installed.

Construction began on Lot G about three weeks ago, with pile driving and sheeting. I have photos, but I stopped posting after it appeared that interest in all of our short, fat buildings was nil, and generally just resulted in criticism of what CX should have been.

That said, we have spoken with DivCo representatives several times this fall and have a pretty good idea what is happening. We will host them in early December at our annual condo board meeting, so an in depth update for the should be just around the corner.

Cheers.

Is there going to be more residential beyond parcel I?

Construction began on Lot G about three weeks ago, with pile driving and sheeting. I have photos, but I stopped posting after it appeared that interest in all of our short, fat buildings was nil, and generally just resulted in criticism of what CX should have been.

But you should know that there are many, many on here who would appreciate the postings very much. I had noticed the lines went a bit silent on CX and was wondering what was up...

Of course, it's your choice, but know many of us would be most thankful for such posts.

But you should know that there are many, many on here who would appreciate the postings very much. I had noticed the lines went a bit silent on CX and was wondering what was up...

Of course, it's your choice, but know many of us would be most thankful for such posts.
Agreed- really appreciate the detailed updates, and even if I have some complaints about height, the overall project is still a huge plus

Just adding to the appreciation, keep the info/photos coming, thanks!

It's November 12th - - can you clarify "later this year"?

Hah. Yes. Spring 2019, damn man. My mind is a mess as far as what month it is right now. Within the 12 month period starting now. Some construction. Starting early 2019, and some Q2..but later meaning in 2019 cranes a plenty.

Sorry bout that. In my head this year is over.

Lot EF has been under construction (piles, sheeting, then excavation) for almost two months. Lot JK blocks my view of Lot EF, but one can see the latter from the Gilmore Bridge or Zinc Apartments.

Lot W has changed composition, orientation, and elevation several times in the last few months as the drumlin for the park’s north end slowly accommodates the hundreds of cubic feet of groundwater control systems DivCo installed.

That said, we have spoken with DivCo representatives several times this fall and have a pretty good idea what is happening. We will host them in early December at our annual condo board meeting, so an in depth update for the should be just around the corner.

Cheers.

I'm in the appreciation camp as well. Parcel G building is not under construction tho. Site prep is underway. Believe sheet piles are for site retention walls at this point, not foundation. Permits for G & H are not yet pulled.

I'm in the appreciation camp as well. Parcel G building is not under construction tho. Site prep is underway. Believe sheet piles are for site retention walls at this point, not foundation. Permits for G & H are not yet pulled.
That's a crazy rate of development- JK, EF G and possibly H is ~1.5msf of spec office, plus however many residential buildings they decide to move on.

Back