Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

In other news ... the only (superficial) additions that await Tatte are its name placards. Then, final permit inspections. Everything customer facing looks done, with seats, fans, tables, lamps, etc carefully positioned and ready for peeps.

I Tweeted to get a date but the Tatte account is mum. Maybe they'll open on Masks Are Dead to Us Day, aka 29 May...

Of note: Rockbot.com says they're jammin' inside right now!

Oh to the Em Gee that is stunning!

The cosmologist in me loves those asymmetrical columns; the artist in me can't believe he agrees with the other guy.

In all seriousness, something this whimsically grounded *would* have been a marvelous example of how building a bit higher here could have been an incredible addition should labs not have dominated the space (I understand that some labs *can be* in taller buildings - my type can be, in fact).

It looks great in Chicago.

Something like the Riverline development in Chicago is what I'm trying to describe, regarding cohesiveness of the architecture across the buildings in a development. They aren't exactly alike, but they don't clash either:
riverline3.jpg

Oh to the Em Gee that is stunning!

The cosmologist in me loves those asymmetrical columns; the artist in me can't believe he agrees with the other guy.

In all seriousness, something this whimsically grounded *would* have been a marvelous example of how building a bit higher here could have been an incredible addition should labs not have dominated the space (I understand that some labs *can be* in taller buildings - my type can be, in fact).

It looks great in Chicago.
The FAA height limit here is pretty high, so they could have gone taller for a few of the buildings at least. That would have made it seem less like a suburban office park.

There's no reason why the residentials needed to be giant blobs, wider than they are tall. Imagine the prices they could command with views over 500'? No FAA or other weird regulations are here to prevent this area from literally going higher than the Back Bay towers, let alone just breaking the 250' artificial ceiling in the area. There's absolutely no excuse for it to look like this, other than the small-mindedness of both Cambridge and the development team.

By the way, Longwood has a lab building that's almost 350' so not like that isn't possible either.

There's no reason why the residentials needed to be giant blobs, wider than they are tall. Imagine the prices they could command with views over 500'? No FAA or other weird regulations are here to prevent this area from literally going higher than the Back Bay towers, let alone just breaking the 250' artificial ceiling in the area. There's absolutely no excuse for it to look like this, other than the small-mindedness of both Cambridge and the development team.

By the way, Longwood has a lab building that's almost 350' so not like that isn't possible either.
I completely agree with the residential point. It is a crime that they did not include some residential towers here.

But from a practical standpoint, you only do a 350' lab tower because it is your only choice. (Someone really wanted that lab to be in Longwood.) You'd never make economic sense of that in a brownfield development like Cambridge Crossing.

Speaking of that I've always wondered if that Longwood skyscraper is really >100 m. SSP and the FAA have it listed as 348' but it looks much shorter.

Something like the Riverline development in Chicago is what I'm trying to describe, regarding cohesiveness of the architecture across the buildings in a development. They aren't exactly alike, but they don't clash either:
riverline3.jpg

Looks like Vancouver (not sure if good or bad, just an observation).

True, labs can be tall (I noted that ones I have worked in have been), but most aren't for all sorts of logistics and specific reasons. The fewer floors I have to chaperone a dewar the better!

But there is a limit, enforced by the city, here so FAA limits really are moot. We can disagree with Cambridge City's choice in maintaining that, but some of us asked DivCo many times why they wouldn't go higher, especially for the signature (then condo) residential building. They said the City wouldn't allow the height...I suspect that was partially the issue - no one knew if this area (ultimately) would be a draw.

Curiously, no one here really cared about height. I was at all of those meetings and literally only recall one person arguing about shadows.

This entire development was planned / zoned before the commercial property price increase and building boom of the last 10 years. That earlier-developed plan seemed ambitious in the pre-boom times even if it doesn't look too ambitious today. Then the development languished and bounced around between owners, and it wasn't until after DivcoWest took over in 2015 that things really started to pick up.

If a new plan was started from scratch and put before the City of Cambridge circa 2015 after DivcoWest took over, we probably would see much taller buildings here. The market can absolutely support taller office and residential here, just like it can support taller office and residential immediately across the Charles from here in the area around North Station. But DivcoWest worked with what they had instead of trying to totally start over on approvals, and you really can't blame them for taking the bird-in-hand.

This land is all in the FAA 1000 ft zone, and any shadows will fall on the RR tracks, 93, BHCC, and Old Rutherford. I've said this before, but I would have loved to see Boston or Somerville rezone their portions of the Cambridge Crossing land (at the N edge right along the RR tracks) to 1000 ft with unlimited FAR and just see what happens.

Lamplighter Brewery was reconfirmed as a "go" in December, February, and April at our meetings so there wasn't too much concern they wouldn't open (unless someone had been feeding us a line...).

DivCo folks wrapped the lower windows of the building with "we're working in here but won't be done for several months" adverts on Wednesday and the web address they would like you to visit confirms a late 2021 launch.

Curiously, I believe the owner (or project manager) has been onsite with some degree of irregularity. He brings a magnificent Cloud Boi* (such majesty) with him ... they chill on the second level while eating with some work and sliding windows open!

Thanks for this! I actually know the Cloud Boi very well - he's often in the taproom (or at least the brewing area) of the current space. A very good boi and very majestic.

Quick updates...

- From seven to one: Lot EF lost its construction crane this week, so the only remaining crane until the Lot U construction begins is the absolute unit at Lot I.

- More food: Tatte will open at 222 Jacobs Street (Lot JK) on 11 June. (I included this in the retail thread.)

- Less food?: Management at Lot N announced a pop up coffee/pastry business last month - adding fliers advertising it to any car they could find - but I have never seen it. Given the utilities construction (and new pet park woohoo) in front of Lot N, maybe they shelved the idea. The note specifically said outdoors, and wasn't targeted at only Twenty|20's residents.

- The "Eyes" have it: Crews are adding construction lifts to the structure this AM, which includes steel to level 12, concrete to level seven, and floor lighting to level four. The swimming pool, installed a few weeks ago, looks accommodating.

- Lot Giraffe: Crews installed floor portals on the exterior last month - and interrupted the curtainwall shade scallops in one zone - to accommodate materials that won't fit in the construction lifts. The lobby interface with Water Street is taking forever (I observed an intricate concrete pour this AM), with alternating days of it being open and encased in coverings.

- Lot Henry: The 2.5 story glass lobby must have been delayed, as part of the installed structure disappeared over the past weeks in favor of glass support members that superficially look the same but are slightly thicker and a different color. Regardless, the high (wow) glass is (mostly) installed and, frankly from my perch at Lot S, it looks like its absent. I think I like it.

- How YOU doin': Lot U officially closes tomorrow (28 May), with parkers moved to a temporary surface position on Lot C. DivCo will build the BEHEMOTH on this lot (note the height/floor count ratio). They have been champing at the bit to get ready, closing various sections for weeks and removing that eyesore billboard tower two weeks ago. I can't wait for this space to be built out, mostly because I await the outdoor piano. Get off my lawn!

1) Nice photo.

2) A stupid but well-intentioned question: are the 4 barges in the water (two with red cranes) related to the Cambridge Crossing construction projects? I don't know if they're related to a long-term industry that's always been there, or if they are newer. Thanks.

Back