Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Re: NorthPoint Cambridge (The one that was train yards, the big plan.)

That's baller.

it reminds me of a crossword puzzle....

it reminds me of a crossword puzzle....

found -- it could be worse -- it might look like an old spindled and mutilated punch card -- aka Simmons Hall at MIT

oh, Im not complaining, just doing some free association.

Now that the North Bank pedestrian bridge is done, and the skatepark is maybe, sorta, kinda going to happen... what about that lovely fenced lot that was going to be the new EF HQ? Has anyone heard a timetable? Maybe it is tied to the relocation of Lechmere station to the North Point side of 28.

Release on the skatepark says this:

After several years of planning and collaboration, the park will be constructed in East Cambridge, under the ramps of the iconic Leonard Zakim Bridge. Its design concept is based on the input of hundreds of local skaters. The overall landscape design will be coordinated with Education First’s (EF) upcoming project plans, which include a restaurant with waterfront patio as features within a new building for their Hult School of International Business.

I hope so. We were told that construction would start in the Fall of 2012 but it got pushed back into 2013. They are currently tearing up some roadway and installing pipes near the site. Too many false starts and nice pictures that lead to no new construction. Hopefully this is the real start.

I hope so. We were told that construction would start in the Fall of 2012 but it got pushed back into 2013. They are currently tearing up some roadway and installing pipes near the site. Too many false starts and nice pictures that lead to no new construction. Hopefully this is the real start.

Who is doing the construction? Can you tell from names on equipment?

I saw the name D'Allasandro (sp) on one of the trucks. NSTAR has been there also. Again there is no building construction yet. They are just doing pipe work and utilities.

Work has started on the EF Education site. So far they have just been moving soil around.

today
21c990c5.jpg
93544bac.jpg
opps wrong thread!

25%20Office.jpg

Company executives said neighbors and Cambridge officials encouraged them to pursue a bold design for the complex, inspiring them to solicit designs from top architects in Boston and worldwide.

Ultimately, they selected the waterfall design by celebrated Swedish architect Gert Wingardh, whose vision also includes a series of horizontal white bands meant to riff off the cables of the Zakim Bridge.

“I’m not a critic of architecture, but it is a unique type of design,” said Timothy Toomey, a Cambridge city councilor and state representative. “It will help challenge other developers to do something different with their buildings.”

The building will be constructed by the contracting giant Skanska USA, whose worldwide operations are also based in Sweden. It is scheduled to be completed by spring 2014.
From behind the Globe's paywall.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...1ULA1PAFe7xcb2HiP/story.html?p1=Well_BG_Links

I'd rather they put the waterfall's cost into better massing all around. I mean, look at any of the other 3 sides of this building and it will be hideously mediocre, looking like it belongs on 128 in Woburn.

Ericsson_Kista_2010a.jpg

So are they going to lift this building up and transport it from Sweden, or just build it all over again?

for more shots go to projects / l / building 10 on the architect's website

pardon me if i'm not buying the "inspiration" via Zakim and Charles schtick

^
SLAM!

Isn't this just architecture for the sake of being different? In other words, artistic masturbation.

No, this is how can we get away with building a boring suburban office building box while escaping criticism for building a boring suburban office building box?

Back