Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) | East Cambridge/Charlestown | Cambridge/Boston

Parcel I, with a bunch of facade samples being set up on the right
1586140234867.png

Parcel W looking almost ready to open.
1586140313932.png

1586140371380.png

Last edited:
1586140475621.png

This little Parcel Q building doesn't fit the space at all. Even before a full build out its the runt of the entire neighborhood.

Last edited:
At least its small enough that it can be easily demolished and replaced.

Wow, I've been so distracted by the GLX that I've totally missed these projects.

"The Lexington" opened tonight on the Common (in front of Lot JK). In contrast to the World Kitchen (floor 1 of AVA one block away) that fizzle opened during the peak of COVID and routinely fills one or two tables a night al fresco, Lex was at capacity nearly the entire evening, closing at dusk. Much better vibe; much better scenery.

It will eventually be one of three places anchored in Lot W ("The Shed"), but those buildings likely won't open until 4Q2020 or later, according to CX.

Are the CC developers, or Boston, or Cambridge doing any thing to better tie the Lechmere neighborhood to the Community College stop on the Orange line?

It is almost freaky how physically near (as the crow flies) but mentally- and effortwise-far Lechmere is from the Community College stop--dusty, narrow, desolate sidewalks and scary zoom-across-the-bridge-to-get-stuck-at-lights road traffic.

Are the CC developers, or Boston, or Cambridge doing any thing to better tie the Lechmere neighborhood to the Community College stop on the Orange line?

It is almost freaky how physically near (as the crow flies) but mentally- and effortwise-far Lechmere is from the Community College stop--dusty, narrow, desolate sidewalks and scary zoom-across-the-bridge-to-get-stuck-at-lights road traffic.

There are two ways to look at this:

1) Getting from CX to Community (or building there) / The nearest that the developer can get, due to the tracks, is with Lot H (the second Sanofi-Aventis building), under construction. That building will sport some type of double lobby, one of which feeds from the decking on the Gilmore Bridge (just before the memorial steps down to CX which hug Twenty|20). So, technically, one could cut short some of the ugly walk across the bridge by entering H, riding an escalator up a level, and exiting to the bridge connection, and undertaking about 60% of the current walk from the intersection to Community. Given that the Sanofi buildings will be pharma labs, I can only guess that will be a pathway for employees only. However, at our annual meeting, DivCo seemed to suggest that there might be a secondary pass through conduit. Difficult to ascertain how serious that was, however.

2) Getting to Lechmere from Community. The two new Lechmere platforms will finally be "in" CambridgeCrossing (one near AVA at East ST and one closer to Zinc near Water ST). So, in truth, this will be a much more pleasant walk through a much cleaner, less congested space. Upon descending from the Gilmore Bridge - either through Lot H or via the T|20 steps, one will be in CX and could walk (roughly) diagonally past H, G, the construction field houses, through the park, and up to Lechmere 1 ... or continue (no park) toward Water ST, passing Philips and the new residential buildings, hang a left toward Zinc, and hit Lechmere 2.

Let me know if you have any questions ... Although I have not had success with stable image posting, I can see all of this from home so sometimes I take for granted what folks know of the area and its state of construction.

Back